Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bunnymummy

Semi-D Full Rebuild Or A&a? Neighbour Building Giant House! :p

These are the kind of units developed and market by a group of individuals. They are very very unlikely to drop prices coz the investment for each individual is very low like 100-300k each so they can hold quite long sometimes as long as 1yr after TOP but looking at the climate now and so many similar units, wonder how long they can hold.

Ooh... really? I didn't know. Yes I noticed that a lot of the "new" houses around the area look similar.

I just did some CSI now that you have told me that. Checked Google maps... the address is 689 Changi Rd. It's a sort of triangular/rhombus shaped plot of land right next to Esso station!

Don't know leh... I'm not fond of odd shaped plots. :P

(Also the builder is called Mint Design... haha! Listed on the board, Google Maps street view was when it was being built.)

Edited by Bunnymummy

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

• Architural and Professional Engineer submission to URA and BCA.Inclusive SIP/DIP plan charges. 36,000.00
  • Pre-Topographical survey. 1,300.00
  • Post-Topographical survey. 590.00
  • Site survey mark out by surveyor 570.00
  • Pre and post con sewer CCTV charges. Exclude repair if required 4,000.00

Would anyone be able to tell me if the above charges are reasonable? I read in another forum thread here that the submissions etc is around $30k?

Also is $17500 total reasonable for site clearance?

Very appreciated.

(P.S. Electrical works for the house - quote given was almost $54k... OMG. :jawdrop: Is this for real? I feel so sad.)

(P.P.S. Any kind and helpful souls willing to help me take a look at the detailed quote? Pls PM me if you are willing as not nice to spam the whole thing here.)

Edited by Bunnymummy

P.S. Lauer... I would be super happy to find a decent plot of land at $3.5m to redevt. But then.. I also don't have $1.2m to throw on rebuilding a nice big house! Lol.

Too bad I did not think of starting my search some time last year. :P

There is this thing called Construction Loan; CMs LTV applied.

After obtaining TOP, convert the Construction Loan into an ordinary Housing Loan.

Cheers!

(By the way, I believe that many of us would want to help, but buying a landed to rebuild is really a major project. Financially and non-financially. So I would avoid giving advice on some details such as the detailed quote without understanding the big picture, the budget and financial profile. For example, I would get a bit uneasy reading the 3500 sqf land size requirement, a semi-d, and then in the next paragraph, an insufficient budget for rebuilding?)

Edited by Lauer

Haha! I believe I went in to view that one. I don't think it's the same builder but nowadays it seems like a trend to have super high ceiling!

If it's the brand new one which is currently for sale, land 2700 sq ft or so then that's the one that I have viewed. However, after thinking twice we felt that the land area was too small for the price that they are asking even though the house is brand new and nice.

The neighbouring house next to the one I am eyeing is not yet completed. In fact, they are just starting construction. :)

Thanks Yoongf for answering my qn. I guess I will mention it to seller anyway just to make things clear. :)

The main reason that I don't encourage buying a landed and do an extensive A&A.

No matter how the A&A covers, the ceiling height could not be changed, lifted.

A high ceiling really makes a lot of difference. To feel the difference, just visit a cluster landed, and then a rebuilt landed with 4.5m ceiling.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post!

I have been lurking here and learning a lot from you guys, so thank you all!

I am also in the process of getting a contractor/ architect to redevelop or reconstruct my property.

Have not decided yet.

Hope to see threads like this being kept alive, so I am doing my bit by trying to contribute.

Cheers!

Lauer: Thanks for your views. I guess my thinking re looking for big land size is that ultimately whatever is built on the plot may disintegrate over the years but the land will remain forever as it is freehold. Plus a semi-d will be a better classification no matter what. For long term investment as well. :P

Sadly trying to get the best of both worlds... to get a decent land plot and to obtain a livable house on it, with long term investment potential.

If the guy next door wasn't going to build a huge home, I would be more likely to just do minor reno and move in. Even the ceiling height is fine to me, just need some reflooring, fixing up toilet and kitchen and moving some interior walls etc. Although the current structure is not very large, it's currently just my hubby and me and my kid so it's still sufficient room for our small family even if there's a plus one in future. But I can't stop myself from feeling like if I'm gonna spend all that money and wind up with a house which looks squashed and small next to the giant work of art next door then I will feel less satisfied with it. :P

I can probably scrape up the money somehow to do even a $1m rebuilt exactly the same as neighbour if I REALLY want to but we will feel very pinched and heavily indebted... hence I am questioning whether it is really necessary to do so. :(

Hi everyone,

This is my first post!

I have been lurking here and learning a lot from you guys, so thank you all!

I am also in the process of getting a contractor/ architect to redevelop or reconstruct my property.

Have not decided yet.

Hope to see threads like this being kept alive, so I am doing my bit by trying to contribute.

Cheers!

Hi TS1. I've gotten some estimates from a few different "one stop shop" design and build cos. They have told me that for a final built up for 4500 sq ft approx (conversion from 2 to 2.5/3 storeys and work done on 1st and 2nd floor) A&A/reconstruction costs between $500-$800k. There's some variation depending on the company, will need to explore it further once I actually purchase the place. If tear down and rebuild...seems like it will cost between $800k min to $1.2m onwards.

Do share if you come across any good builders too! I have not found any that can quote lower than the above.

Edited by Bunnymummy

Lauer: Thanks for your views. I guess my thinking re looking for big land size is that ultimately whatever is built on the plot may disintegrate over the years but the land will remain forever as it is freehold. Plus a semi-d will be a better classification no matter what. For long term investment as well. :P

Sadly trying to get the best of both worlds... to get a decent land plot and to obtain a livable house on it, with long term investment potential.

If the guy next door wasn't going to build a huge home, I would be more likely to just do minor reno and move in. Even the ceiling height is fine to me, just need some reflooring, fixing up toilet and kitchen and moving some interior walls etc. Although the current structure is not very large, it's currently just my hubby and me and my kid so it's still sufficient room for our small family even if there's a plus one in future. But I can't stop myself from feeling like if I'm gonna spend all that money and wind up with a house which looks squashed and small next to the giant work of art next door then I will feel less satisfied with it. :P

I can probably scrape up the money somehow to do even a $1m rebuilt exactly the same as neighbour if I REALLY want to but we will feel very pinched and heavily indebted... hence I am questioning whether it is really necessary to do so. :(

I see.

I would suggest to review the original intent of buying the semi-d.

I have seen so many newly rebuilts and absolutely hated the architectures, while also seen so many refurbished original 1 or 2-storeys landeds and absolutely loved them. You would realize that the charms of a landed don't really come from the building but the garden.

Cheers!

I see.

I would suggest to review the original intent of buying the semi-d.

I have seen so many newly rebuilts and absolutely hated the architectures, while also seen so many refurbished original 1 or 2-storeys landeds and absolutely loved them. You would realize that the charms of a landed don't really come from the building but the garden.

Cheers!

100% agree. owners buy landed to enjoy the space, mostly garden and outdoor spaces. Newly built ones are just for $$ higher build up higher selling price.

Hi TS1. I've gotten some estimates from a few different "one stop shop" design and build cos. They have told me that for a final built up for 4500 sq ft approx (conversion from 2 to 2.5/3 storeys and work done on 1st and 2nd floor) A&A/reconstruction costs between $500-$800k. There's some variation depending on the company, will need to explore it further once I actually purchase the place. If tear down and rebuild...seems like it will cost between $800k min to $1.2m onwards.

Do share if you come across any good builders too! I have not found any that can quote lower than the above.

A poster previously engaged me via PMs, on the types of construction contract. So maybe I would write about Design & Build (DB). The following is my experience, and other posters please share theirs.

A DB contract is basically a construction contract with a builder, which includes the service of an architect in providing simple designing and who is primarily for submit plans for government agencies. The builder fronts the construction project, which deviates from the normal practice of having the architect fronting.

In other words, the architect is in the background; maybe he meets the owner for 2 times for the designing, and that's about it. The owner deals with the builder after the plans get approved by the agencies and construction starts.

There are 2 disadvantages in this kind of relationship:

- The design. Most owners don't really understand what to look for in designing, unless they have had a house built before. So, in DB the architect would likely do the basic designing which tends to favor the ease of construction. While the architect does gather the owner requirements, it is fair to say that he would not be as attentive to them as, when compared to an arrangement where the architect is fronting the project.

- The construction process. Where the architect is fronting the project, he is responsible to the owner to make sure that the builder does a good job; the material used, the workmanship, defect spotting and how it is rectify etc. Not so in a DB arrangement. Of course, I am not saying that all houses built by DB companies are inferior but there is a role played by an architect that you don't get as much in a DB arrangement.

The advantage of a DB arrangement is cost, where the architect fee is somewhat 50-70% lower. This is great for an owner who has experience building houses.

Cheers!

Hi Bunnymummy,

The property I just bought is a 2 storey semi-D with a built-up of approx 2800sqft.

My intention is to add another 1.5 story to make it 3.5 when done.

I have met an architect and a "one stop shop" with my floorplan.

The architect told me it will cost around $300 per sqft in addition to his fee of 7 to 10% for the house reconstruction alone.

When asked about the possibility of having a lap pool, he remarked that from the plan, the ICs and sewage seem to run along the

side of the house and it will cost hundreds of thousands to reroute it to accomodate the pool. My wife and I were pretty disappointed after hearing that.

The one-stop-shop quoted me (off hand) $700k all in, with marble and timber strips flooring and the works for the house reconstruction.

He also mentioned that to do a new erection, the cost is another $100k.

When asked about the pool, he mentioned that rerouting the ICs and sewage line is a simple job that cost less than $10k.

They are now doing a draft design and initial quote for me now.

It made me wonder why is there such a big disparity.

I will be talking to a few more architects and builders to get a better pespective on the prices and what can and cannot be done.

From the quotes you received, it seems that what we got is probably the current market rate.

Perhaps collective bargaining may get all of us a better deal if we can approach builders together.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Hi Bunnymummy,

The property I just bought is a 2 storey semi-D with a built-up of approx 2800sqft.

The architect told me it will cost around $300 per sqft in addition to his fee of 7 to 10% for the house reconstruction alone.

When asked about the possibility of having a lap pool, he remarked that from the plan, the ICs and sewage seem to run along the

side of the house and it will cost hundreds of thousands to reroute it to accomodate the pool. My wife and I were pretty disappointed after hearing that.

The one-stop-shop quoted me (off hand) $700k all in, with marble and timber strips flooring and the works for the house reconstruction.

When asked about the pool, he mentioned that rerouting the ICs and sewage line is a simple job that cost less than $10k.

I will be talking to a few more architects and builders to get a better pespective on the prices and what can and cannot be done.

From the quotes you received, it seems that what we got is probably the current market rate.

Perhaps collective bargaining may get all of us a better deal if we can approach builders together.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Hey TS1,

I've been calling builders left right and centre for the past few days.

I just found one who told me that he can build me a brand new 2.5 storey house 3500 sq ft GFA for 800k thereabouts! He is an architect by profession but he fronts a one stop design and build co. I believe this is because his company has "template" houses which they just adapt to your land shape. I'm actually sort of okay with this cos I quite liked a few of his templates anyway. It certainly is one of the cheapest quotes for full tear down and rebuild that I have obtained thus far! Yours seems very reasonable too if its truly $800k for new erection.

PM me if you would like the details of the co. I am not sure what the forum etiquette is for sharing details of the builders so shall play it safe since I am kind of new. If you don't mind, would you also let me know who you are considering? That's if you don't have a problem with it of course.

Edited by Bunnymummy

Hey TS1,

I've been calling builders left right and centre for the past few days.

I just found one who told me that he can build me a brand new 2.5 storey house 3500 sq ft GFA for 800k thereabouts! He is an architect by profession but he fronts a one stop design and build co. I believe this is because his company has "template" houses which they just adapt to your land shape. I'm actually sort of okay with this cos I quite liked a few of his templates anyway. It certainly is one of the cheapest quotes for full tear down and rebuild that I have obtained thus far! Yours seems very reasonable too if its truly $800k for new erection.

PM me if you would like the details of the co. I am not sure what the forum etiquette is for sharing details of the builders so shall play it safe since I am kind of new. If you don't mind, would you also let me know who you are considering? That's if you don't have a problem with it of course.

Is this the www.meridianhomes.com.sg kind? I am interested too and am setting up an appointment to meet them for further discussions. Can let u guys know of the outcome

Edited by fcar

Hi Bunnymummy,

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

I got a sewage line running thru the back 4m from the boundary. Was also told will cost hundred k to reroute the line. Your 10k sounds too good to be true. Please keep us updated if it's really possible with such a low price.

Is this the www.meridianhomes.com.sg kind? I am interested too and am setting up an appointment to meet them for further discussions. Can let u guys know of the outcome

Wah.. I guess he is the only one offering that idea issit? :P Okay, all the best! I hope it goes well for you, will be excited to hear more details as I only spoke to the boss on the phone!