Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bunnymummy

Semi-D Full Rebuild Or A&a? Neighbour Building Giant House! :p

I got a sewage line running thru the back 4m from the boundary. Was also told will cost hundred k to reroute the line. Your 10k sounds too good to be true. Please keep us updated if it's really possible with such a low price.

I don't know that you could reroute the public sewage pipe at all? (which is why the SIP is one of the documents your lawyer would obtain in due diligence).

You could relocate the IC, and even this, there are a few bylaws to comply with and it has a direct impact on where you could place the 1st storey's bathroom(s).

A 10-K indicative price is best treated as just a teaser.

I wrote a thread on this subject last year.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52455&st=0&p=748767&hl=lauer&fromsearch=1entry748767

Cheers!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Rerouting a sewer line is quite a common activity. Involves quite a lot of work, expecially if the sewer line is deep. Need proper submission and approval, and goes through their own TOP inspection process. Most likely with require before and after CCTV inspection, and a final survey.

Requires a 2m buffer, 1 m on each side of the line. The use of a mini excavator is required, and that will require quite a lot of working area. As sewer flows by gravity, gradient is very important, and depends on the last IC before joining the public sewer, whether got enough depth to accomodate the extended length.

10K no way, closer to 60 to 100K depending on the length.

I don't know that you could reroute the public sewage pipe at all? (which is why the SIP is one of the documents your lawyer would obtain in due diligence).

You could relocate the IC, and even this, there are a few bylaws to comply with and it has a direct impact on where you could place the 1st storey's bathroom(s).

A 10-K indicative price is best treated as just a teaser.

I wrote a thread on this subject last year.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52455&st=0&p=748767&hl=lauer&fromsearch=1entry748767

Cheers!

My lawyer did NOT obtain the DIP/SIP despite my reminding and told me that its not commonly searched cos sewage lines do not amount to adverse condition.

Her logic was that its relocatable, just costs a "bit" of money.But unfortunately for me there was really 1 running thru thru the back. So i potentially lose 2m of "space"...ie normal setback is 3m, mine will come up to 5m cos of the line!!

Can i sue her? LOL

Rerouting a sewer line is quite a common activity. Involves quite a lot of work, expecially if the sewer line is deep. Need proper submission and approval, and goes through their own TOP inspection process. Most likely with require before and after CCTV inspection, and a final survey.

Requires a 2m buffer, 1 m on each side of the line. The use of a mini excavator is required, and that will require quite a lot of working area. As sewer flows by gravity, gradient is very important, and depends on the last IC before joining the public sewer, whether got enough depth to accomodate the extended length.

Yes mine is 3m deep!! WHen i suggest to 1 architect to reroute it, He took 1 look and exclaimed "WAH, 3m deep", then slap his forehead and said its "almost impossible"

I read that someone suggest constructing a "reinforced trench" over it, and BCA will allow to build over the line. Is this true?

Edited by fcar

I see.

To clarify, the "sewer line" in the 1st paragraph is the same as the "public sewer" line in the 2nd paragraph?

TIA!

Yes mine is 3m deep!! WHen i suggest to 1 architect to reroute it, He took 1 look and exclaimed "WAH, 3m deep", then slap his forehead and said its "almost impossible"

I read that someone suggest constructing a "reinforced trench" over it, and BCA will allow to build over the line. Is this true?

3m? Tio boh? Did someone dig the ground to confirm?

Nothing could be built on top of the trench, except the party wall. For example, you could not have an internal wall over the trench.

Cheers!

My lawyer did NOT obtain the DIP/SIP despite my reminding and told me that its not commonly searched cos sewage lines do not amount to adverse condition.

Her logic was that its relocatable, just costs a "bit" of money.But unfortunately for me there was really 1 running thru thru the back. So i potentially lose 2m of "space"...ie normal setback is 3m, mine will come up to 5m cos of the line!!

Can i sue her? LOL

Too late liao, LOL.

3m? Tio boh? Did someone dig the ground to confirm?

Nothing could be built on top of the trench, except the party wall. For example, you could not have an internal wall over the trench.

Cheers!

The SIP read 124 inches deep!! So the architect suggested built a " half low wall" for the wet kitchen over it, plus a pond.

Didnt know need to construct trench just to build this party well....by the way, wats a "party wall"?

The SIP read 124 inches deep!! So the architect suggested built a " half low wall" for the wet kitchen over it, plus a pond.

Didnt know need to construct trench just to build this party well....by the way, wats a "party wall"?

No, the RC trench is for protecting the public sewer pipe that runs across the land.

Here is the URA handbook for almost everything you need to know in rebuilding.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dchbr/pt1landedhousing-dchbr.pdf

Cheers!

The party wall refers to the wall between you and your neighbour.

As Lauer mentioned, the trench is built around the sewer to protect it. I believe this would allow you to build closer to the sewer. Check with your architect what exactly can or cannot be done if the trench is constructed, so you know your options.

To all owners who are thinking of approaching the same builder contractors to construct or re-erect their houses at the same time because of 'bulk discount', my advice is: try not to.

At this time of high labour and material costs, many contractors are facing resources depletion in terms of labour, some smaller time contractor also start to get jobs at different periods as they are short of manpower and could not cope with many jobs runnin at the same time.

You may end up the contractor not focusing to complete yr hse because he is stretched. It happened.

To all owners who are thinking of approaching the same builder contractors to construct or re-erect their houses at the same time because of 'bulk discount', my advice is: try not to.

At this time of high labour and material costs, many contractors are facing resources depletion in terms of labour, some smaller time contractor also start to get jobs at different periods as they are short of manpower and could not cope with many jobs runnin at the same time.

You may end up the contractor not focusing to complete yr hse because he is stretched. It happened.

I heard the same.

My builder (he is already 60+) put his company into expansion mode 4-years ago but told me that he has decided to 'wind down' the operations last year because he simply could not get the labors, let alone retaining and training good ones. Costs have also jumped.

Nowadays, he is very very selective in residential project, only doing it for friends (don't know if he is joking on this part)..

Cheers!

I see.

To clarify, the "sewer line" in the 1st paragraph is the same as the "public sewer" line in the 2nd paragraph?

TIA!

I think some of us are confused with the definition of sewage line we are talking about here.

I have already consulted PUB on this matter and here's what I gathered from them:

Public sewage line and sewage line within the private compound are different. In fact, the authorities refer the latter as drainage line.

However, there may be instances where part of the public sewage network was built under the ground within a private compound.

If that is the case, then that is where the headache starts if rerouting is in your plan.

It will be complicated, time consuming and expensive to reroute the public seawage line as there are many rules and conditions governing such rework. So those 2-meters setback, RC trenches etc etc are only applicable if the "sewage line" is a public one.

So, designing, submissions, liasing with authorities, contractors, inspections etc will form part of the process.

I think this is why architects are not too excited about it. Even if a good job is being done at the end of the day, there wont be any visual appreciation because everything is buried in the ground :lol:

On the other hand, if what you have within your compound is just a drainage line, PUB does not have any conditions on how you want to reroute your line because ultimately, the maintenance, upkeep and repairs of such drainage line fall under the responsibility of the owner. Of course your plan submissions to BCA should indicate the new reworked line for the necessary approval.

I have checked and the "sewage line" along the side of my house is actually a drainage line. In other words, the 2m stebacks, trenches etc are not applicable in my case.

So my advice to owners or would be owners of such properties (if you have intention to build anything above the "sewage line"), buy a Sewage Interpretation Plan (SIP) online from NEA or check with the relevant authority (in this case PUB) by providing them the property address to see if your "sewage line" is indeed just a drainage line. This is first priority before any meaningful and conclusive discussions can be had on the topic.

Hope this is useful to some of us.

Cheers

There are private sewers and public sewers.

Private sewers refers to sewer lines that run within the boundary and serve only that particular development, for example.. only that condo or only that house. This sewer line belongs to the property owner, and there will be a "Last IC" which is where the public sewer line begins.

Public Sewers are those sewer lines that serve multiple owners. These belong to PUB and is their responsiblity if choked.

Public sewer can run in private property. For example.. for a row of terr houses, usually the sewer line is behind the property and joins from 1 house to another. This type of public sewer requires all the setbacks and protection. To reroute this is challenging, as have to do diversion works while they are still in use!

Hey TS1,

I've been calling builders left right and centre for the past few days.

I just found one who told me that he can build me a brand new 2.5 storey house 3500 sq ft GFA for 800k thereabouts! He is an architect by profession but he fronts a one stop design and build co. I believe this is because his company has "template" houses which they just adapt to your land shape. I'm actually sort of okay with this cos I quite liked a few of his templates anyway. It certainly is one of the cheapest quotes for full tear down and rebuild that I have obtained thus far! Yours seems very reasonable too if its truly $800k for new erection.

PM me if you would like the details of the co. I am not sure what the forum etiquette is for sharing details of the builders so shall play it safe since I am kind of new. If you don't mind, would you also let me know who you are considering? That's if you don't have a problem with it of course.

Hey Bunnymummy

I tried to PM you but message says you cannot receive any messages.