Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Ime. Didn't mean to make a sweeping statement about those who have had bad experiences. I understand that no one would willingly engage a contractor, knowing that they were going in for a rough ride. I certainly wouldn't have.

However, it would seem that some people are not as happy to hear that there are possibly a minority who have had better or even good experiences with the same person. Being told to get the **** out of a forum just because opinions or experiences differ, to me, is uncalled for. I was reacting to that, rather than to the rest of the other members' experiences. I have no doubt that every single one who have posted complaints, have valid reasons to do so. I respect that. But everyone deserves the truth heard about them- Alan included. Mine was a good experience and I can't lie about it. Yours is a bad one and you are stating it as it is. If asked why our experiences differ- my answer would be to ask Alan, because I honestly haven't a clue.

It should be kept as simple as that no? A review of a particular contractor's service quality and performance.

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i agree with you, meeko. but i agree with E as well. this is their thread. so if they asked that we f*** off, i guess we should. this will be my last post in this thread.

• Like 1

yes they r frustrated and u can feel their angst and helplessness over something that is still ongoing, unfixed and nowhere near closure. Imagine u r in that situation not knowing how to move forward with a nagging issue u face everyday. no one wanna be in that dire strait.

the way i see it, if the source of problem is nipped, all parties will be happy and able to move on.

is there any chance u guys can cool down and hv a good talk with Alan and come to a negotiation?

Edited by Astarz

Yes. I am not happy and i believe i could say the same for the rest who had a very bad reno journey with him. It makes us feel tiny and unappreciated as customers or whatever we are. Regardless of how much or little we paid for our renovations, or even whichever type of housing, professionalism should be the applied all the same.

Everyday, we live constantly knowing how terrible the experience was, and looking at every part that was unfixed and not rectified only caused more anger and hatred for him ruining it. Each passing day/month, we find something new to fix up or touch up and it is NOT even due to wear and tear.

You know how many craft bricks has dropped off since then? Did i trouble him for rectifications? No. i merely asked for tiler to supply me with grout and cement so that i can do it myself.

Why did it drop? As he didn't had enough or sufficient time to properly do our renovations, he simply painted over the existing walls, without removing the previous plaster that was hanging all over the place? Will the bricks be strong enough to hold on?

And how much dust is left uncleared because acid wash isn't possible at this time already? My oil rubbed bronze floor trap was completely ruined because he simply follow SOP and decided on acid wash just so he can say he has done acid wash?

Upon placing of floor laminates, was there sufficient coverage and protection for it when other works is going on? Even upon voicing out, it is clearly not relevant to him because he needs to move on. Now, our floor laminates are covered with dents and scratches. Are we to be blamed?

Yet, he walks away with the money, job done and all, stuff was "stolen" or "switched" by his sub contractors. Not even an APOLOGY for the empty promise, lateness and the amount of inconvenience he has caused. I had to extend a month of temporary storage because of his lateness, and i had to start my artistry work almost 2 months later because i had to clean up his so-called rectifications and cleaning up whatever he didn't.

Clearly i have lost all confidence in him already and wish to cease all forms of communications with him because he accused me of shouting at him when he did raise his voice at me. Likewise, did he wish to put an end to this chapter.

Yes. I am very unhappy. I am unhappy when you unintentionally rub salt into our wounds and that makes us angry. It belittles us, and make us feel compared to. It makes us feel unwanted, unimportant or even unheard as clients/customers. As a matter of fact, you take offence to why i ask those to scoot off, but surely you don't expect us take offence to how we are being compared?

Yes. I am an Alan hater now. I used to have the utmost respect for him in his trade and trusted his reputation but as you can see, much has changed. However, if he has done so as accordingly, responsibly, properly and reasonably with regards to our place or even others, i believe that i would be standing on the other side of the fence as well. Clearly, many now would have seen and understand the fact that he perhaps does have a certain penchant for a certain clientele.

So right now, i do extend my apologies to anyone who has taken my offence to what i have said but likewise, i too expect an fair understanding and acceptance by anyone else reading it of the conditions we have been subjected to which is totally unnecessary.

And thanks Astarz, much obliged. Time for talk has passed and i seriously doubt he remembers especially he can send us a CNY card as well. Besides, i have already remedied much of what needs to be done with the exception of some stolen stuff, and also some costs we ll incur along the way because of his negligence.

• Like 1

Hi makanology,

Relax....

My wife and I understand how you and your hubby feel. We had similar experience during our first reno. Though experience was horrific (ya , we quarreled almost everyday too, physically banged table with "ID", had not used our toilet sink for 5 yrs. Ya we brushed our teeth in the shower), we had learnt a lot. Just treat this as a learning process so that you'll be better equipped for the next round ( seems easy for me to say this as you have spent a lot, but what's done is done)

You guys just tahan for bout 5 yrs (which was what we did), then start all over (a tip though, stop buying things as you really have lots, haha).

As for some forum members who praised him to the skies (much better than how I praise K), most likely they're relatives la (my wife said it could be Alan in disguise).

Just /ignore like IRC. ( you belong to our generation hence you'll know what's IRC)

Edited by macuser77

Hi macuser77, ya it is the wife here, Makan! Your post is funny! And yes we are in the same generation who knows what IRC is, oh gosh, think we told everyone how old we are lol

Haha... those posts that praise him to the skies seemed very much like fairy tales to me.. too detached from reality and my personal encounter...

Makan, we too have been screamed and shouted at by Alan (can I say we have been abused?)... we too have been taken for granted... being nice and not reciprocated nor appreciated... dun worry, you are not alone :)

Like what macuser77 suggest, these pple might really be Alan in disguise/ good friends/ relatives trying to counter our bad reviews.. really do not know..

After all the drama encountered, despite the pain and anguish experienced, we are glad it is over. Must admit problems still pop up now and there with new discoveries of dropping craft bricks, swopped fittings for our kitchen tap etc. But at the end of each day, when we relax at home and play with our furkid, we forget the woes slightly... Or sometimes we forget totally cos of silly moments like this:

http://instagram.com/p/kFBsNmGk4R/

I doubt meeko and retchlow are Alan in disguise. That would be quite a wretched and meek thing to do! (sorry, couldn't help it. Trying to inject some humour into an otherwise most unfortunate situation). They are probably just very lucky to have different experiences.

I am wondering if either or both of the following are possible explanations for the quite different experiences:

1. Some contracts were under quoted and the contractor is not so interested? Like the way some town councils award contracts to the lowest bidders who under quoted and these contractors cut corners?

2. The contractor sub-contracted the entire works to a sub-contractor? That is why you see him only 2 to 3 times during the entire renovations? But he seems more visible at other sites.

Edited by kstoh

Seems to me that defences come up quite promptly when negative reviews are given. In some instances the praise or defence posts can be quite lengthy too.. Shall leave it to readers of this page to judge the credibility of it all.

Those who got lousy work from Alan are angry with him not without rhyme or reason. So much effort was made to communicate the problematic areas, and then no rectification was done. Then there were no updates / reason / apology for the mess up.

While people are left in the unfortunate state, he already deposited the monies as though he delivered everything in good order. Of course he managed to do it from the goodwill that homeowners gave to make advanced payment thinking that he would renovate the house properly.

Since he continues to keep the money despite issues being brought up and shown in his face, thick skin and shunning away seems to be his forte. I guess he is good at some things.

If any of you have an ongoing project with him, I advise you to pay him bit by bit. Be a micromanager, check everything and clarify your doubts without letting his black face or bad moods intimidate you. When treated rudely, like being shouted at, shout back because now you know he seems to shout quite a lot.

Edited by lme

Hi kstoh,

Your point 1 may be valid but for my case Alan was the more expensive quote. We went with him anyway seeing that he did a good job for some lucky people.

Too bad these experiences don't resonate with mine, and I give reviews based on what shoddy work and lousy attitude he gave us.

After all the drama encountered, despite the pain and anguish experienced, we are glad it is over. Must admit problems still pop up now and there with new discoveries of dropping craft bricks, swopped fittings for our kitchen tap etc. But at the end of each day, when we relax at home and play with our furkid, we forget the woes slightly... Or sometimes we forget totally cos of silly moments like this:

http://instagram.com/p/kFBsNmGk4R/

well said =) I too had my fair share of nonsense from Alan. That said, both my wife and I made it a point to right decisions already made. One of those is engaging Alan. At the end of the day, I thought we should not let him affect any relationships. He has already done enough damage to whatsoever.

That said, my reno just concluded and thankfully major issues were rectified (my tiles were laid wrongly!). There are still some chipped tiles here and there which I hope he will rectifying it soon.

In summary ...

Does he rectify errors / poor workmanship ? Yes, but not without having to go through lengthy "discussions".

Will I engage him in the future ? No.

Hi jayque,

May I ask if all areas needing rectifications were attended to? Or only some were fixed hence you have to live with the rest that he did not touch up or rectify after the whole process?

For my case, he fixed the easy pieces and left us the bigger problems which are expensive to rectify. So yes he did do some work but I can't give him credit for the way he admit to simple issues and conveniently ignore the big ones.

Edited by lme