Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Songz, my heart almost sank when Mr E told me he tore my vintage table apart. He removed the laminate on the table top which I loved its woodgrains a lot... Original condition mah. But when I saw the end result of black & white, ok I shall forgive him, a bit lol

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Really?! Hmm.. Then I should really consider it carefully! Given that tiles may be more expensive but it might jus save me from maintenance /repairing fee of the laminate flooring.

I really like the look of laminate, which is similar to parquet. I will recce to see if the wooden tiles can replicate that "feel"

Hahha my dog does that as well.. But my parents flat homogeneous tiles have prove it's worth! Hahah

Hi makan,

Can i know where did you buy the cabinet which stores your Absolute Vodka collection? Hubs n i been trying to look for one with spotlights but to no avail. Be good if you can let me know where to get it..

Btw, love how u decor ur hse.. very warmth feeling.. :)

Hi Celtricia, thanks for your compliment!

For the vodka cabinet, guess you are referring to this?

9312447439_fd18fa26f2.jpg

Absolute Vodka collection by Makanology, on Flickr

This is good old Ikea Billy cabinet, in orange which was last year's colour. We installed Ikea LED cabinet light (Fairly easy DIY job by my hub, Mr E).

Hi Celtricia, thanks for your compliment!

For the vodka cabinet, guess you are referring to this?

9312447439_fd18fa26f2.jpg

Absolute Vodka collection by Makanology, on Flickr

This is good old Ikea Billy cabinet, in orange which was last year's colour. We installed Ikea LED cabinet light (Fairly easy DIY job by my hub, Mr E).

Hi makan.. Oooo.. old ikea billy cabinet... gotta go ikea look see look see den.. :)

Thanks!

Today marks the 1st year anniversary at our house... So let's call this our house-sary or home-sary ☺️

Living here in the nest we have built is nothing but pure happiness. Bitter sweet at times cos now and then, we discover things breaking apart due to the poor renovation materials used (our storeroom door knob jammed on its own and we almost had to tear the door down!)

Anyways we also revamped our study room!

Before

9312621337_2f0cdf275c.jpg

Study Room: Work in progress by Makanology, on Flickr

After

14282835666_3635b1a631.jpg

Study room 1 by Makanology, on Flickr

14119359770_e7069fc656.jpg

Study room 2 by Makanology, on Flickr

14305404284_0e1710dc60.jpg

Study room 3 by Makanology, on Flickr

14305977685_ef453da0d7.jpg

Study room 4 by Makanology, on Flickr

Edited by Makanology

The change is good, looks neater :good:

If i am not wrong, Mr E should do a lot electronics DIY based on those casing

Omg a threadmill !!!

I been thinking if I should get one or continue to go gym.

I really worry that it will become a white elephant ... :P

Hi Songz, yes it is much neater than before but there's room for improvement. It is not easy to keep stuff neat after a year of stay. Need to declutter soon 😁

The treadmill was 2nd hand and given by a friend. Been put to good use! My personal gym at home with the ceiling fan or aircon on plus my own favourite music blasting!

• Like 1

Hi Makanology,

I chanced upon your blog as I was searching for another contractor. I just want to let you know that I understand what you went through. My first contractor was also very irresponsible and didn't take any pride in his work at all.

We were also getting married then and often fought over the ccontractor. To be frank, the reno experience changed our relationship in a negative way.

My contractor's quality of work was also appalling:

1. He showed me the workmanship of a Malaysian tiler but gave me a China tiler.

2. The tiler didn't cover the flooring and my grout lines are permanently dirtied.

3. The tiling was done badly. It's so obvious that any first-time visitor can tell me the workmanship is lousy ie. large and uneven grout lines, uneven tiles ... If you push a laundry basket across the floor, you would meet with many hurdles bcos of the unevenness.

4. The tiler even wanted to place a broken tile in my storeroom. He said no one can see anyway!

5. The false ceiling was done wrongly and he said can't be helped liao.

6. The aircon pipes were done after the false ceiling so nothing can be hidden.

7. I asked him to erect a wall so that I could hang a door at the doorway. He erected a wall using partitioned board and told me I could not have a door done.

8. After I insisted on a hollow brick wall for another wall, he said "if the line at the joint cracks, I don't know huh." My father had to teach him to use a device to line the joint so that the crack wouldn't show.

9. He used wood planks with multiple holes for my platform.

In short, nothing that he did for me was right.

So I totally understand your frustration.

I almost confirmed with Alan for my bathroom job last year. He seemed nice and sincere, and cheap of course, but bad reviews started surfacing and I skipped him. I don't want another round of expensive heartache.

I do believe the good reviews are genuine as their reno cost were probably much higher. And if I am a contractor, surely condo projects will come first bcos the big money is there. If one condo customer recommends me to her other condo friends, ai seh! I work little and earn big!

I hope you have moved on. :)

Hi rain, thanks for sharing! Yes we have moved on, we just celebrated our first year wedding anniversary yesterday 😍 And we are still inviting friends over for house parties. Nothing beats our own nest right?

And yes you are right also. We confirmed that those with positive experiences with Alan had higher budget than us 😣 but that doesn't warrant poorer service given to poorer folks like us, right?

Anyways hope all is well with you and your own nest 😄

Hi makanology, if you dont mind can share where you purchase the oil rubbed shower set? Been searching online n the sellers claimed that theirs are welded - for concealed installation (waterpipes inside the wall) mostly for condo n landed property.

I noticed yours have the screw parts to connect with water pipes which are normal for us living in hdb.

Appreciate the info!