Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ADIAN

Mouldy/dirty Bathroom Ceiling

Hi all,

The below 2 pics are the ceiling of my bathroom. It looks so dirty like moulding patches.

My questions is can i just buy white paint and cover it up myself? Do i need a scraper to first scrap out the old paint 1st? what type of paint should i buy?

Any1 can help?

017_zps28edf8b1.jpg

018_zps5326a530.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all,

The below 2 pics are the ceiling of my bathroom. It looks so dirty like moulding patches.

My questions is can i just buy white paint and cover it up myself? Do i need a scraper to first scrap out the old paint 1st? what type of paint should i buy?

Any1 can help?

017_zps28edf8b1.jpg

018_zps5326a530.jpg

you can apply oil-based sealer first, then apply paints, will solve this problem.

is your flat at top floor? HDB or private?

you can apply oil-based sealer first, then apply paints, will solve this problem.

is your flat at top floor? HDB or private?

Hi,

mine is not the top floor and it's HDB...

I dont see any bloating or falling paint peeling off from the ceiling, so do I need to scrap off the entire ceiling paint before i apply the oil-based sealer?

Looks similar to the MBR bathroom at my parents place some years back.

What I did was to wipe/apply a diluted bleach solution to kill the mold spores. This was based on various recommendation around the web at that time, but I'm reading now that a borax-based solution probably works better.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/treat-bathroom-mold-before-painting-31049.html

http://www.mold-control-on-a-budget.com/documents/43.html

Might have done it at least 2-3 times for peace of mind. Once it was fully dry, applied two coats of Zinsser Perma-White® (Interior). Was pretty ex for a smallish tin, think found it at homefix.

It has lived up to its claims though. 4-5 years and the problem hasn't come back.

Perma-White-Interior-Satin.jpg

Perma-White® is guaranteed to prevent the growth of mould and mildew on the paint film for at least 5 years.

Perma-White® has proven its effectiveness against mould and mildew growth on the paint film in severe independent laboratory tests when exposed to combined strains of the most common and problem-causing mould and mildew spores in today’s environment.

Perma-White® interior paint protects itself against the damaging effects of unsightly mould and mildew as it brightens ceilings, walls, trim and other related paintable interior surfaces.

Perma-White® bonds to existing solvent-based or glossy paints – even Formica® and ceramic tile without sanding. Perma-White® also seals flat paint, new drywall, cement block and concrete. It is ideally suited for any area where conditions of persistent high humidity, frequent temperature changes and poor air circulation may promote mould and mildew growth and cause deterioration of the paint film.

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/perma-white-interior/

Edited by artblakey

Hi artblakey,

Can you still remember which branch of HomeFix did you buy the Zinsser Perma-White® (Interior) from? Or has it been some years back already?

I am interested to get this special paint product. I callled HomeFix HarborFront branch yesterday but the person who took my call did not seem to know what I was asking. :bangwall:

Thanks in advance!

my hdb flat ceiling above kitchen, toilet and bathroom leaking because neighbour above re-tile wet area never seal properly. roar!excl.gif i experienced a similar problem. repaint many times.

finally, leak fixed 1 to 2 months ago. sian of painters forever trooping in and out my unit, i bought spray bleach and sprayed bleach on dark areas (kill the mould) then rinse off after 5 mins or so. the dark areas are much, much lighter now. close one eye and it looks ok.

in my experience, unusual for mould so extensively to grow in dry, well-ventilated bathrooms. if there are many hot showers taken in that bathroom and it doesn't have a exhaust fan, may want to consider installing one.

Edited by tinsel

How is the kitchen side upstairs leaking?

water travelled through the concrete structure.

i think trapped water will find the path/s of least resistance and leak from the lowest point.

my relative had a similar problem in his double storied house.

his second story bathroom never seal properly. water travelled 5 metres through the concrete under the second storey bedroom and leaked from there. so from the first storey looking up at the ceiling, the leak is coming from below the second storey bedroom and not the second storey bathroom.

i was very upset. the leak went on for more than a year. not just bath water but also waste water (i.e. toilet water).

ARGH!!!!!

Edited by tinsel

Hi all,

Any1 can h

Hi all,

Any1 can help?

017_zps28edf8b1.jpg

018_zps5326a530.jpg

You will need to paint the surface with a layer of oil or water base sealer (prefer Nippon) come in white colour.

my hdb flat ceiling above kitchen, toilet and bathroom leaking because neighbour above re-tile wet area never seal properly. roar!excl.gif i experienced a similar problem. repaint many times.

finally, leak fixed 1 to 2 months ago. sian of painters forever trooping in and out my unit, i bought spray bleach and sprayed bleach on dark areas (kill the mould) then rinse off after 5 mins or so. the dark areas are much, much lighter now. close one eye and it looks ok.

in my experience, unusual for mould so extensively to grow in dry, well-ventilated bathrooms. if there are many hot showers taken in that bathroom and it doesn't have a exhaust fan, may want to consider installing one.

I had similar problem..leakage in kitchen due to damage of aircon pipe ...The above unit did renovation n the workers damaged the aircon pipe..wehenever they switch on aircon ..water leakage in my kitchen ..damaged my false ceiling..later contractor after many complaints to mgmt .. we replaced and solved the problem..