Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
3Dyms

Mon Petite Chateau @ Bt Batok

Progress of Reno at Week 5

This week, we will be doing more painting, more carpentry works, wall trimmings, service balcony windows, window grills, main gate and the lightings. Yippee! Finally... I can see the end of this long journey approaching. More hiccups this week. The wash basin for our bathrooms are too big. Had to make a trip down to Adamas for an exchange.

Then... we realized. The paint color was not what we had expected. It turned out more beige then white. Haiz... who ask us. Silly... we had decided to choose 'white' paint with a tinge of beige thinking that a total white house will be too sterile. But after 3-coats, it all end up looking beige. This set off another flurry of activity as we now had to change our carving accents and fabric upholstery for our furniture from Manhattan Collections to gold instead of silver. Thankfully, this change can be done, albeit at a slight cost (of course). Plus, it results in a delay of our stuffs till mid August. :bleah:

SO... lets take a look at more pics of our progress so far...

yt3p.jpg

Initially we had roller shutters that came with the house. But a major design dilemma came up. 1 of the aircon compressor will be situated here. If we lower the roller shutters during a downpour, it will be very hot in this area as the hot air from the compressor cannot escape. Not good. Especially when I will remove the service balcony doors, extend my kitchen out and have a open concept. The hot air is bound to get into the kitchen and living area. So how? We looked around what other neighbours did. Some of them had top hung windows. Then only the window where the compressor is will be kept open. Spoke to Aircon designs and they approved of this method. In addition, they will help create a vent to attach to the fan part of the compressor to help direct the hot air out the window.

vtew.jpg

Shoe rack on the left side of Main Entrance.

1n4s.jpg

This is the architrave (Wall trimmings) for the Kitchen Entryway.

Edited by 3Dyms

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Con't

More picture updates..... so excited to see everything coming up. :sport-smiley-004:

rm1x.jpg

Close up of the kitchen cabinets and the extension into the service balcony. Can you spot my corner hob and hood? Hhhmmm... now need to find a decorative item to hang on the canopy top. Else it's abit too plain now. Any ideas anyone? I was thinking of those wooden letterings that says "Kitchen" or "Love"?

s1sr.jpg

This is the study room cum home office on Level 1. In case you are wondering... yes, I have 2 study rooms. 1 is a study cum home office for the adults. And the 2nd study cum entertainment area is for my 3 gals. I prefer segregated areas. Firstly, we all have tons of stuffs. Secondly, I super dislike people messing around with my stationery, files and documents. So... now, the kids have their own areas. And the adults have our own. Must mark our own territory. Lol. :yeah:

You really stay through with the theme! Wonderful job done! Out of curiosity, how did you convince your family to like this theme?

You really stay through with the theme! Wonderful job done! Out of curiosity, how did you convince your family to like this theme?

Thanks Makan. Thankfully I have 3 gals. So no issues with them. For my hubs, fortunately he also likes such classical designs. He feels this style reminds him of old-world charm, rustic, elegant, and "atas". Lol. :P

Some more, this is house #3 liaoz.... excluding the many others we lived in during our 5-yrs in Melbourne. He also did not want to go down the route of the usual contemporary style or resort theme, as its a case of "Been there, Done that".

Now we also getting old, so a timeless elegant style that has withstood centuries will be fitting. Lol. :notti:

Edited by 3Dyms

Lucky you! I like vintage stuff a lot but my hubby so so. Haha I have resorted to buying some stuff secretly and then confessing to him later :D

Lucky you! I like vintage stuff a lot but my hubby so so. Haha I have resorted to buying some stuff secretly and then confessing to him later :D

hahahah..... Maybe with time, he will slowly grow to love this style also? My hubby initially also don't like such classical country style. So whenever we go out, I will show him things in classical style (like Raffles Hotel), Pauls (at Takashimaya), etc. Slowly, he start to like. And like I said earlier... we also old lah. Hit the big 4-0 already. So our taste in things have really changed too.

I also love vintage stuffs... like old telephones, station clocks, shabby chic items, Laura Ashley stuffs, etc. Somehow, they have that 'special' touch. Dunno how to describe... but the feeling is soo.... :wub:

Hi 3Dyms, ur hse is damm swee (pretty) lo, espy the kitchen and the bookshelfs... I likey it v v much!!!

Is there additional cost to do the architrave for the kitchen top cabinets?! :o

btw, whr did you get the Grohe BauLoop Rainshower set from?

Hi 3Dyms, ur hse is damm swee (pretty) lo, espy the kitchen and the bookshelfs... I likey it v v much!!!

Is there additional cost to do the architrave for the kitchen top cabinets?! :o

btw, whr did you get the Grohe BauLoop Rainshower set from?

Thank you... Thank you for your kind compliments. Not easy to find people with similar taste in home decor. ;)

The Grohe rainshower is from Adamas @ Tradehub 21. If you keen, you can go there and look for Serene.

For the kitchen cabinets, usually the cornice part is included together with the cabinets. Cos the Carpenter needs to "shou-kou" aka seal up the gaps nicely. But if you referring to the curve pelmets, then that is additional costing. HTH's. :)

Edited by 3Dyms

Hi 3Dyms,

the classical theme is looking gorgeous and feminine!!!! You're so lucky...

i think if i suggest this to my HTB, he might faint :notti:

Hi 3Dyms,

the classical theme is looking gorgeous and feminine!!!! You're so lucky...

i think if i suggest this to my HTB, he might faint :notti:

Thanks. :) Yah.... Some guys don't like this style. That's why many couples end up going for Scandinavian cos its not so feminine yet, has the European touch.

Actually I'm trying to 'modernize' it and not make it too feminine, but... not having much luck. Lets see once my furnishings and everything else is up. Heheh.

Edited by 3Dyms

Thanks. :) Yah.... Some guys don't like this style. That's why many couples end up going for Scandinavian cos its not so feminine yet, has the European touch.

Actually I'm trying to 'modernize' it and not make it too feminine, but... not having much luck. Lets see once my furnishings and everything else is up. Heheh.

Hahahaha you're absolutely right

if i let him have his way, the entire place will be nothing more than black, white and glass :no:

Hahahaha you're absolutely right

if i let him have his way, the entire place will be nothing more than black, white and glass :no:

Hahah... Been down that road. At first, my hub did not appreciate this classical theme. So we did the whole contemporary, zen style with dark woods for my 1st home. The 2nd time around, we tried going the modern resort style, but after awhile, it became more "chap pa lang". Now, I told him its my turn. I want something totally different and I want classic. Thank goodness he slowly likes this theme now. Lol.

Con't

More picture updates..... so excited to see everything coming up. :sport-smiley-004:

rm1x.jpg

Close up of the kitchen cabinets and the extension into the service balcony. Can you spot my corner hob and hood? Hhhmmm... now need to find a decorative item to hang on the canopy top. Else it's abit too plain now. Any ideas anyone? I was thinking of those wooden letterings that says "Kitchen" or "Love"?

s1sr.jpg

This is the study room cum home office on Level 1. In case you are wondering... yes, I have 2 study rooms. 1 is a study cum home office for the adults. And the 2nd study cum entertainment area is for my 3 gals. I prefer segregated areas. Firstly, we all have tons of stuffs. Secondly, I super dislike people messing around with my stationery, files and documents. So... now, the kids have their own areas. And the adults have our own. Must mark our own territory. Lol. :yeah:

I like your carpentry work. It looks great! How is the workmanship? Did you have to spend a lot on this country style theme?

I like your carpentry work. It looks great! How is the workmanship? Did you have to spend a lot on this country style theme?

Hi Potatoes,

Thanks. The workmanship is very good especially the "shou kou". I've had a few sub-cons come by recently and they all commented that the carpentry work is really good too. Costs wise, if I compare to normal laminate carpentry, this does costs more. But in terms of quality and attention to detail, then I'd say the costs is actually value for $$. So far no regrets.

I've had great fun working with this bunch of carpenters too. For 3 days, I've had about 5-6 of them working full time to get everything up. But they were not slack. They measured, cut and fitted everything to size nicely. Painstaking work, but friendly & cheerful throughout. *thumbs-up*

Hi 3Dyms

Hopefully your reno works are running smoothly and on schedule.

I stumbled upon your blog while surfing for information on victorian theme. I have to say that I am very impressed and envious with the kitchen cabinets, wardrobes and shelves (esp the kitchen cabinets with lovely carvings!). I just received my keys to my new place and am also thinking of furnishing my place with an english / victorian concept.

I see that you have gotten a bedframe from Eco Links. I went to their outlet at Jurong today and was excited to find furnitures that go well with the theme. However, having seen the carpentry work from your carpenter, I am wondering if I should engage someone to make them or buy off the shelf. Pardon me if I am being dense here as it is my first time to be doing reno work, your advice is very much appreciated. E.g. Eco Link is selling a two metre TV console at around SGD 1500. Do you think if it will be cheaper if I get your carpenter to do it?

Unfortunately, I can only admire your cabinets as my place comes with the kitchen cabinets installed.

Do you mind sharing with me the contact and company of your contractor / carpenter?

Thanks very much!