Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
millchong

Conceal Fibre Optic Cable

Hi,

I'm unfamiliar with network and cabling so would like to seek some advice.

When the opennet guys came to install the fibre optic cables, I did not intend to use it then and did not want them to run the trunkings on my walls, so they had adviced me to just leave it until I get my contractors to hide the cable in the false ceiling. So they left me with a 20m long cable with the termination box attached to the end of the cable. Now the cable is hanging through the hole they drilled through my wall and resting (together with the termination box) on top of my shoe cabinet.

Now that I have intention to sign up for fibre broadband, I believe I have to get someone to conceal the cable in my false ceiling first and have them pull the cable to where my tv console is. Question is, do I get an electrician for this or just a normal contractor will do? Because the termination box is attached to the cable and also having read that one have to be careful when handling fibre optic cable, must I get an experienced contractor? Can anyone of you who have done this before recommend a contractor and advice how much this kind of work would normally cost?

Thanks in advance!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

By right u need to engage an electrician as other contractors (like the guys who do false ceiling or carpentry) might be uncomfortable to "put their head on the chopping block" and install something they are not authorised to do so.

By left, this installation is can be easily done by the contractor that does the false ceiling. Cos pulling of the thing through the false ceiling is not complex. It is just very messy, time consuming and tedious. Another reason why the contractors might want to avoid doing.

The fibre with the black jacket is quite durable. so dun have to worry too much about damaging the cable. It is the thin fibre with the yellow jacket that is easily damage

FYI, I got my contractor to arrive at the same time as the opennet installers. They took about 3 hours to install the cable from my front door to the tv area inside the false ceiling. Cutting the false ceiling is very messy. Spent the next few hours cleaning up. So you must be prepared at the mess you have to clean up.

Actually if u dun mind u can conceal it yourself. If ur false ceiling has downlights, u have to remove the downlights along the path to the tv area. If no downlights, u have to cut holes along the way. Go to any DIY store and get a saw for cutting false ceiling. attach a piece of trunking to a section of the cable. Cut a small square hole out and pull the cable in. after that, get a helper to put his/her hand inside the next downlight hole. One person try to move the piece of trunking around, while the other person try to catch. By doing so, u can slowly feed the cable all the way in.

By right u need to engage an electrician as other contractors (like the guys who do false ceiling or carpentry) might be uncomfortable to "put their head on the chopping block" and install something they are not authorised to do so.

By left, this installation is can be easily done by the contractor that does the false ceiling. Cos pulling of the thing through the false ceiling is not complex. It is just very messy, time consuming and tedious. Another reason why the contractors might want to avoid doing.

The fibre with the black jacket is quite durable. so dun have to worry too much about damaging the cable. It is the thin fibre with the yellow jacket that is easily damage

FYI, I got my contractor to arrive at the same time as the opennet installers. They took about 3 hours to install the cable from my front door to the tv area inside the false ceiling. Cutting the false ceiling is very messy. Spent the next few hours cleaning up. So you must be prepared at the mess you have to clean up.

Actually if u dun mind u can conceal it yourself. If ur false ceiling has downlights, u have to remove the downlights along the path to the tv area. If no downlights, u have to cut holes along the way. Go to any DIY store and get a saw for cutting false ceiling. attach a piece of trunking to a section of the cable. Cut a small square hole out and pull the cable in. after that, get a helper to put his/her hand inside the next downlight hole. One person try to move the piece of trunking around, while the other person try to catch. By doing so, u can slowly feed the cable all the way in.

just a comment on the durability of the black wire that connects to the open net box - you have to be careful because if the wire get slightly pulled it may get disconnected inside the open net box and will cost you around 230 dollars to repair by openent technician. Just came through this process as my electrician damaged it while doing reno.

I would recommend not to pull the fibre cable directly, as false ceiling are mounted with metal support with sharp edges and may cut the fibre cable if you pull too hard. Instead run a conduit across the false ceiling from the termination point to TV console. After that, push a cable puller (not sure if this is the right name) into the conduit and let it come out from the other end. Once the cable puller head is pulled out at the TV console, use masking tape to tape strongly your fibre optics to the end of cable puller (from your TP) and pull the cable puller out from the TV console until the fibre cable is out.

There are PVC and Corrugated conduits. PVC conduits are smooth and easy to pull the cable puller but it is a long straight pipe, thus it can't turn corner (unless you bend it, which require other tool). Corrugated conduits are flexible but is more difficult to pull the cable puller as it may get stuck sometimes due to the bends of the flexible pipe (do not pull hard when it stuck, instead pull and push until you get it through the bend). You can use a mixture of PVC and corrugated conduits, as they can be joined with junction box. See http://www.wancoelectric.com.sg/products/pvc-conduits/, if not sure what is conduits or junction box. All these can be easily purchase (cheaply) at the many hardware shop at Jalan Besar (Kelantan Lane). Never pull hard on the fibre cable directly, they may beak easily.

If the TP to TV console is a straight path, put a long straight PVC conduits into the false ceiling and use a junction box to connect Corrugated conduits at both ends. If is not straight path and there is no opening (no downlights etc), you may need to cut open at the turning point to access the conduits (use a junction box at bend etc). If you have never cut a false ceiling, I would not recommend you to do it as it will be very dusty. However, if you really need to cut, use a scotch tape to tape along the path you wanna cut, it will reduce the dust (but will still be dusty). You can tape a plastic bag along the cutting path to collect the dust. Cut it in one nice piece as you need to put it back.

Edited by skb