Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
autumnwind

Our First Love Nest

I would choose Layout 2 but with the hob n sink swapped... Somehow used to the sink on right hand side

Layout 3 would feel like you hit an obstruction ( restricted space) though functionally ok as wm can be kept behind...

Just my thoughts

I totally agree with what you said for Layout 2! That's why actually have been having a mental resistance to adopting it cuz of the lack of familiarity. Was quite surprised when so many voted for Layout 2. Though I do learn from their choice as well, that working triangle is an important aspect of kitchen design. smile.gif

Why don't you want to have top and bottom cabinet on the left & full height cabinet on the right next to the fridge?
I'm thinking with he light source from the window, the right side countertop would be dark as the fridge is blocking.
The full height cabinet can have 2 sides. On one side can be the built in oven & a tall larder with pull out racks on the other side.
You will also get a longer countertop on the right in this way which I think not only look better but more functional.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Hmm...I did think about full height cabinet next to the fridge so that will have longer kitchen top on the right. I didn't think about the light issue though...was thinking more of whether it will be intimidating to walk into the kitchen and there's a full height "wall" consisting of the cabinet and the fridge on the right. Like will there be oppressing aura coming from the right. Haha. Maybe I think too much. tongue.gif

But thanks for the comments! I am learning lots from the different viewpoints!! Now, I need to think what to do with the dark kitchen top on the right...didn't expect to be so troubled by the kitchen layout... Edited by autumnwind

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Layout 4 not bad. Where are you gonna put your dining table?

Thinking of putting it in the living room...get small dining table and small sofa? Hopefully can fit cuz kitchen really no space!

Thinking of putting it in the living room...get small dining table and small sofa? Hopefully can fit cuz kitchen really no space!

Ya after studying your floor plan, it is challenging to put the dining table in the kitchen. Unless you wanna do something like a bar top cum dining instead if it is mostly only 2 of you eating?

Eh, hope i don't confused u further... Have you thought of doing top and bottom cabinets where your mark out the full height cabinet (as per what someone suggested earlier), then put a small dining table beside the fridge? I know storage space is a concern for you as you don't have a storeroom. If budget permits, can try to have more carpentry in other parts of the house? For instance, horizontal top cabinet along the length of living room? Or if you have small recessed areas beneath the window, can do cabinets there as well. Can take a look at this project here, it's a one room flat with horizontal top cabinet storage space. http://www.homerejuvenation.com.sg/2012/05/home-rejuvenated_28.html

Edited by bleucheeze

My husband and I also exercised our OTP last week too on a 3I! We too, have a small budget for the renovations as most of our savings will go into down payment and COV of the house. I've also start reading up on IDs and contractors but haven't really contact any. Due to the nature of our situation, we will only expect to get keys to the house ~ August- early Sep. Do you think it is too early to start speaking to IDs?

Anyhow, congratulations on your purchase and looking forward to read your reno journey! :yamseng:

Ya after studying your floor plan, it is challenging to put the dining table in the kitchen. Unless you wanna do something like a bar top cum dining instead if it is mostly only 2 of you eating?

Our parents may come over occasionally, so should be getting a dining table. But yah, most of the other times should be the two of us only...

Eh, hope i don't confused u further... Have you thought of doing top and bottom cabinets where your mark out the full height cabinet (as per what someone suggested earlier), then put a small dining table beside the fridge? I know storage space is a concern for you as you don't have a storeroom. If budget permits, can try to have more carpentry in other parts of the house? For instance, horizontal top cabinet along the length of living room? Or if you have small recessed areas beneath the window, can do cabinets there as well. Can take a look at this project here, it's a one room flat with horizontal top cabinet storage space. http://www.homerejuvenation.com.sg/2012/05/home-rejuvenated_28.html

No problem, please confuse us more! Hee :D We are thankful for the comments and suggestions, many of which we wouldn't have thought of ourselves. It's better to be confused now than to go ahead with reno and then wonder why we didn't think of alternatives earlier!

Yup, we changed our minds again! Now thinking of doing top and bottom cabinets on the left side of the kitchen (stove and sink side), and full height cabinet next to the fridge. I suppose we will focus more on the open space than the looming tall cabinets on the right. :P The space beside the fridge is only 1.2m (we're hoping to get a side-by-side fridge!), not really enough to put a dining table. Though the idea of horizontal top cabinet is really interesting! And the transformation of the one room flat is amazing!! Good reno can really do wonders to a house! :good:

My husband and I also exercised our OTP last week too on a 3I! We too, have a small budget for the renovations as most of our savings will go into down payment and COV of the house. I've also start reading up on IDs and contractors but haven't really contact any. Due to the nature of our situation, we will only expect to get keys to the house ~ August- early Sep. Do you think it is too early to start speaking to IDs?

Anyhow, congratulations on your purchase and looking forward to read your reno journey! :yamseng:

Congratulations! :yamseng: I would say just go ahead and speak to IDs/contractors! We thought we knew what we wanted but how things have changed after speaking to a few IDs and RT forummers! Just call a few shortlisted IDs/contractors up or walk-in a few ID firms to see what they have to offer? As you will only be getting your keys in Aug-Sep, I suppose the IDs/contractors won't reply you fast on quotations, so you can take your time too. After getting quotations, you can have more time going through the list, see what you can fit in your budget. We are getting our keys end of this month, at our first appointment! Our sellers have happily moved to their BTO flat before CNY so they're allowing us to do early reno. *fingers crossed crossed that everything goes well*

Update: 3rd working day since speaking to 4 IDs and 1 contractor. Except for one on-the-spot rough quotation, no other quotations came in...perhaps will very gently remind them end of week...? We feeling gan cheong now that it's April! Lol.

Hmmm think usually contractors need a week to respond? They are usually not the best in paperwork...

At least one week i must say... Sometimes longer if they are very busy.

Hi Autumnwind,

We have the exact same layout. Going for second appointment next week. :)

Hi Marwar! The layout is really exactly the same! When are you starting your renovation? What do you plan to do? We are still a bit lost on what works to do...

Hmmm think usually contractors need a week to respond? They are usually not the best in paperwork...

At least one week i must say... Sometimes longer if they are very busy.

Thanks for the heads up! In the end, we busied ourselves with wedding preparations and gave IDs/contractors more time to work on the quotations. :)

Updates on budget

Hopefully the following will be useful to fellow renovators at the budgeting stage!

We have received four quotations by now and, yes, we have burst-ed our budget spectacularly. :wacko: Thought I will put the cost to each category of works as reference to others.

Tiling

(range $4400 - 7700, average $6000)

- hacking of existing floor and wall tiles

- hacking of sink and stove concrete support (currently, the kitchen has two concrete support for sink and stove and no cabinets, so dismantling existing kitchen cabinet cost is not included in our quotations)

- floor and wall tiling (range: $2.50 - $3.80 psf)

- waterproofing

- chemical wash

- floor protection

- disposal of debris and haulage

- application of relevant permits

Kitchen cabinet

(range $5300 - 7100, average $6000)

- cabinet base

- top & bottom cabinet (incl. stainless steel dish tray)

- solid surface worktop

- installation of hob & hood

- installation of sink & tap

- stainless steel piping (cold)

Rewiring (range $1600 - 2300, average $2000)

Painting for our 3I flat (range $900 - 1400, average $1200)

Change of all windows and grilles (range $2000 - 2900, average $2600)

Change of two bedroom doors to hollow veneer doors (range $580 - 750, average $700)

Kitchen door (sliding / PD) (range $400 - 600, average $500)

Replace air con piping (~$900)

New hob & hood (~$1200)

New sink & tap (~$500)

Total cost: $21,600 (and probably ++ along the way)

We have seen varying degree of details in the quotations received, so for people looking for details for their budget, probably the best thing would be to make appointments with IDs/contractors and get quotations specific to your needs/wants. As for us, we are still thinking what are our needs and wants, and considering alternatives to some of the works...

Updates for the week!

We have not made much progress, still pretty undecided on who to go with for our renovation, and confused about what we should do first / later... Though we are quite excited about the HIP (Home Improvement Programme) too! Just to share, we will be getting the following for free (essential improvements)

- repair of spalling concrete/structural cracks

- replacement of waste/soil discharge stacks

- replacement of pipe sockets with new clothes drying racks (done!)

- upgrading of electrical load

(optional improvements for our 3-room with 1 toilet and bathroom at $380, govt pays $7220)

- upgrading of existing toilet/bathroom, including waterproofing of floors, tiling of floors and walls, and provision of new pedestal pan, wash basin, doors and vents

- new decorative door

- new metal grille gate

- new refuse chute hopper

There are 3 choices for each optional improvements.

These works will be carried out in 10 working days. Our property agent was very helpful in finding out details of the HIP, when we were deciding whether to purchase this unit. He went down to HDB branch office to enquire if we could still change the option for HIP as the previous owners did not opt for any optional improvements. He also went down to the site office to get more information, including getting the proxy form for us buyers and sellers to sign. He even went round the block undergoing HIP to talk to the neighbours, to find out how it is like living through the 10 days. I think we are blessed to have met our property agent! :) We are also blessed to be still in time to make changes to the HIP option (can be changed as long as the works have not started). Hopefully these information will be useful to people considering to purchase resale flats that will be affected by HIP in the near future, as we were pretty clueless to what can be done or not and there were not much information available on the net too.

Edited by autumnwind