Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rrghy

My Mother Correct Or I Correct? Please Help!

Hi Brothers and Sisters

Hope you all can help weigh in on a discussion I had with my mother - she says I'm naive and stupid to even consider the reno quotes I'm getting, I say that her information is outdated!

WHO IS CORRECT?!? IS ME REALLY HEAD GOT COCONUT WATER?!?

I've got a 5-room HDB flat to reno. My intended works include: (a) hacking floor and wall tiles, (b) re-tiling, © false ceiling for living room / dining room, (d) re-wiring whole unit, (e) air-con 4-way, (f) install kitchen top and storage cabinet, (g) custom wardrobe and study table, and (h) painting whole unit.

I've obtained three quotes from contractors who have come down to view the place. One was a low quote of $45k, one was in the middle with $60k - $70k, and the highest about about $70k - $80k.

Then when my mother found out, she said, wa piang, boy you think money very easy to earn ah, you think your handphone number strike toto ah. She said, even $45k is too high, try asking for $20k - $25k.

I personally think her idea is too far from the ballpark quotes though. I mean, I can understand a disparity of about 10% - 20%, but her idea of what is reasonable is just too far off what three contractors told me.

PLOT TWIST - MAYBE SHE IS RIGHT AND EVERYONE OUT TO HOOT ME.

So brothers and sisters, any advice? What is the ballpark costs for extensive works to a 5-room HDB? Or should I keep looking for more contractors?

THANKS ALL!

BOY WHO IS EITHER VERY WRONG (AND THEN MUST SAY SORRY MOTHER) OR VERY CORRECT (AND THEN MUST ACT BLUR FOR FAMILY HARMONY)

(Disclaimer: I know that reno quotes really depend on a lot of variables - material costs, choice of finishing, special requests, extent of works. But what I am hoping to hear from the more experienced amongst you is whether based on the proposed scope of works above, is a reasonable quote one that is in the ballpark of $50k to $80k, or can I actually go as low as $20k to $30k?)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello! My ID told me that $40-$45k should be sufficient, however that would depend on the measurements (cabinets) and material used. With much respect, I'm afraid that a 5-room flat it's highly impossible to reach 20-30k, especially if you require custom-made carpentry. Hope that helps! :D Ps: That's a very interesting conversation you've included here, hahahha!

Edited by nisey

if you do hacking and retiling, the minumum for that would be about 10k (if you manage to find the cheapest contractor). so plus aircon, custom kitchen and wardrobe, re-wiring and painting, to achieve $30k is almost impossible. even with 40k, it would be very very difficult for a 5 room.

My is 4 rm.

(a) hacking floor and wall tiles, --> didn't do

(b) re-tiling, © false ceiling for living room / dining room, --> didn't do

(d) re-wiring whole unit, --> didn't do

(e) air-con 4-way, --> sys 3 air con

(f) install kitchen top and storage cabinet, --> hack old kitchen cabinet and do a new one with solid top and glass backing

(g) custom wardrobe and study table, and --> do 2 wardrobe ,1 bookshelf

(h) painting whole unit. --> di

change 2 toilet bowl to sitting ,

toilet sink, tap, shift or add less than 10 power point, change one water heater.

All these already cost me est $25k

It sound like almost overhaul for the whole house. I just quick view your quotation and 45-50k seems reasonable. Maybe u can ask yr mum source for contractor n she will feel your difficulties. It is easy say than done

Hi,

For 5 room usually the renovation cost will be around $50k if you plan to hack everything and redo it.

But try to get more quote to compare, of cause you must list out the same items for them if not very difficult to compare.

Cheers!

25k just for that? :o

u look at my signature lor

Oh! I forget, I didn't change the floor , so I polish.

Then the beddoor and store room door, CMI. so change

That was include my 2nd hand furniture and new electrical appliance.

Reno cost is one thing.

Buy light - need $

buy hob / hood - need $

buy sink, tap, water heater, those water tap. little bit here and there. Add together also can go up to $1k.

Maybe you should try ask your ID or contractors whether can go that price first anot . That from there you can see what's the best deal around . But honestly it seems quite difficult to reach 20k plus .

Hello all renotalkers,

Since everyone is talking about quotations, can you'll review mine and tell me if I am been taken for a ride or cheap or what?? I just got my flat and am really blur what price to pay for these things.

Here is my quotation, and hope everyone can help me pls....

• To supply labour & materials to ran new stainless steel piping for whole unit - 850 (hot & Cold)
  • To supply labour to install 02 nos of new toilet bowl. - $180
  • To supply labour to install 03 nos of new washing basin.- $210
  • To supply labour to install 02 set of rain shower. - $120
  • To supply labour to install 02 nos of hand spary tap. - $700
  • To supply labour to ran new washing machine water point. - $50
  • To supply labour to install sink and connect sink. - $85

• To hack off existing kitchen wall - $250
  • To hack off existing kitchen floor tiles - $350
  • To supply labour & materials to lay 30x60cm non-slip homogneous floor tiles - $1,100
  • To supply labour & materials to overlay 30x60cm ceramic wall tiles up to ceiling height - $1,300
  • To construct 50mm cabinet base with L shape and both side. $350
  • To supply & fabricate laminated finish top/bottom kitchen cabinet :(20ft) - $4,400
  • Construct concrete sink support with 63mm hollow block support : $990
  • To construct 50mm L shape 50mm kerb for washing area - S$80
  • To install metal rack with solid plywood in storeroom with 2 panel aluminum sliding frosted glass door - $1,100

• To supply & install false ceiling for balcony area - 350
  • To supply & fabricate laminated finish low shoe storage cabinet at balcony (5.5ft) - $700
  • To supply & fabricate laminated finish top hung prayer cabinet in room 3 - $580
  • To supply labor to lay craftstone for half wall up to ceiling height - $650
  • To supply & fabricate laminated finish top/bottom study table with drawers - $2,180

• To supply & install cove light design for dining room with new lighting point - $900
  • To supply & install cove light design for two side of living room wall with new lighting point - $800
  • To supply labour to lay craftstone for full wall - 1100

Bathroom 1

• To hack off existing floor tiles - $200
  • To hack off existing wall tiles - $350
  • To supply labor & materials to lay 30x60cm non-slip homo floor tiles with waterproofing- $550
  • To supply labor & materials to lay 30x60cm ceramic wall tiles up to ceiling height - $1,450
  • To construct 63mm hollow block support wall with 02 open space - $400
  • To construct kerb for shower area. $80
  • To supply & install 10mm tampered glass shower screen - $580
  • To supply & install 10mm tampered swing glass door - $580

Bathroom 2

• To hack off existing floor tiles - $200
  • To hack off existing wall tiles - $350
  • To supply labor & materials to lay 30x60cm non-slip homo floor tiles with waterproofing - $550
  • To supply labor & materials to lay 30x60cm ceramic wall tiles up to ceiling height - $1,450
  • To construct kerb for shower area - $80
  • To supply & install alum bi-fold door - $200

$60 should be sufficient for the whole work. Usually resale flat is much expensive because of additional hacking works compared to new flats. Let me know if you need a new quote, I can work out for you too! PM me. :)

Hi rrghy,

Hmm, i am now doing partial reno of my 5rm flat (skip my 2 bedroom except painting and drop idea of TV wall feature). About 20k I think cos we told the ID we budgeted, then after we got the quotation we then add in like quartz table top and some other stuff and finalised at 24K. Pls bear in mind that I am just painting the 2 other bedrooms, their doors and lights, nothing major on those. Target to finish in end May

Summary of what I did:

hack away Kitchen except wall tiles, do up 12ft top hung cabinet, 21ft bottom cabinet with quartz worktop and kitchen floor tiles. (this is killer 8k)

hack and redo both toilets

Wardrobe 8.5ft

false ceiling and L Box for living room

False ceiling and L Box for Bedroom

change main door to veneer door

Main Iron wrought gate

Polish whole house existing marble flooring

Sys 3 aircon (got a 18 -9 - 9 as MBR size = Living Room; previous owner hack 2 room to 1 MBR) 3.1k

bought all lights, fans, hood n hobs, sink, sanitary products, rainshower, storage tank - 3.8k

Your mum might be correct IF you can skip the ID and just engage the contractors but all co-ordination work will be done by you, I read from here that if you do that, you can save like 50%?

Edited by sturm100

Nowadays contractors are disguising as IDs too, so the rates wont be that cheap la. Perhaps 20% cheaper lor i guess......... But you need your own design, everything also do yourself. Phew, so mafan! :no: