Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chuiqiqiu

Toilet Have Black Tiny Flies

Hi peeps... I have got this problem. My toilet ceiling have around 10-15 of this black little tiny flies... Looks like those fruit flies. I have not done anything to my toilet except the daily shower and poo poo business.. Why is this flies attacking my toilet? :help: :help: :help:

Anyone encounter this problem can advice me?

Thanks ya.

Chuiqiqiu

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have them too but i get a pest controller to come and rid them. According to the controller, they breed within the pipes so try spraying some insecticide on the floor pipes where the excess water flows.

The flies are a sign of uncleanliness of the toilet

i have this problem about 8 months after i move into my new BTO

there are many places inside the toilet that look clean to us but are actually dirty

i solved mine by cleaning the 2 drainage (scrubbing the drain cover and beneath it) inside the toilet and bending down to look for dirty areas that was overlooked

now my toilet dont have these flies again :)

What's worse than the flies is that they they used to be tiny black worms. Their lifespan is quite short. In our bathroom they used to breed in the cracks between tiles where the grout has worn off. Temporarily solved it by sealing the space with silicon, but now and then I see a few of them again.

Hi, I have this problem too since I moved in. Had tried hot water, bleach, disinfection all did not work. So one day I pour 1 pail full of water into the drainage. And I saw something inside. I went to removed the thing, and after that the flies are almost gone

Hi, I have this problem too since I moved in. Had tried hot water, bleach, disinfection all did not work. So one day I pour 1 pail full of water into the drainage. And I saw something inside. I went to removed the thing, and after that the flies are almost gone

What did u see inside?

What did u see inside?

Haha same here. Also curious to know cauz my toliet will also have this kind of flies sometimes leh. especially when someone forget to flush.

Edited by andrewlow78

the flies are called drain flies, they are not really good fliers like fruit flies and gets easily crushed if attacked from behind. Drain flies usually will hang around their area of their food source and they dont usually venture too far. The frustration is enormous as these things don't seems to disappear after you have just swat like dozens of them only the day before. their reproduction rates and maturity to adults from Larvae are extremely fast.

having drain flies does not imply your toilet is not well cleaned. it is simply an infestation that usually occurs in the sewer areas or the surroundings. my toilets are well up kept but sadly I was hit by such an infestation.

the infestation been going on for a while, not knowing about the flies until I had enough and think the infestation is getting worse, decided to research and act, finally got rid of the problem.

Things to do

1. identify the likely source, these can be the main toilet drain hole, shower holes or even tile area.( My tile grout got corroded away)
  2. If you like to be more investigative, you can stick a piece of scotch tape covering part of the draining cover. See if any of these insects are sticking on it

How I do it

1. I have the luxury of having storage water heater and mixer tap, before my shower i will turn to the max the shower hot water and flush the drain holes for a good 3-5 mins. The resultant effect is my entire bathroom is steamy
  2. Then u smack and smack the stragglers who managed to escape
  3. repeat for 3 days, u should see a population decreasing significantly
  4. repeat for a week and your infestation should clear up

Now for those who dont have storage heater, i suggest thorough investigation be done to identify the infestation source, thereafter pour boiling hot water into these area. U need a lot of these hot water to flush the entire sewer drain, the pipe lining surfaces to ensure you cover these areas well.ensure the surrounding areas like covers, the crevices are flushed with boiling hot water.

Do note these things will survive chemical attacks, things like bleaches, cleaning detergents and dettols are ineffective in killing them, the last things i want to use and have not tried are insecticides as I have newborns at home, this is not an option I would use.

Drain flies are extremely dirty insects, as they thrive and live in the sewers, they will carry a lot of diseases as well, therefore get rid of these things and destroy their nesting places as soon as you can.