Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blueeeeie

Big Ideas In A Small Space

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I like reading your blog. And kudos on being consistent with the tilings/furniture/lighting. I think that is very hard to do!

Hope to embark on my own reno journey soon enough and will definitely speak to your contractor. I understand the sensitivity about pricing, however, would you classify his pricing as low, average or high?

Hi greg,

I don't really know if this is considered high low or average since I haven't really done any renovations before this.. but of the 3 contractors I approached, Dennis was considered the lowest.

On top of that, he was also the most accommodating of all the contractors and very patient with our constant changes during the reno process.. sometimes, its not about the money alone, you have to consider whether you'll be able to work well with this person especially if you're the very picky sorts, which we are..

Hope this helps..

Hi, thanks for the info, mine is new bto... Was recommended using Quick Seal 104 for waterproofing before overlay.

Hmmm.. I didn't do any waterproofing before overlaying since there was already brand new waterproofing done under the original HDB tiles.. if your contractor is not charging you for the waterproofing then there's no harm letting him do it since its free!!!

But if he is, I suggest you get a second opinion from other contractors and see what they say... you might be "smoked"

Toilets continued

I've never been happier to see the electrician the other day because he has finally installed my remaining lights! The toilet lights are finally up!!

Initially when we first started planning the renovation of the place, I honestly thought that the common toilet's look would be my favourite since it had a more unique and fun theme to it.. but it turns out the master toilet ended up being bumped to first place..

Here's what the master toilet vanity looks like completed.. I wanted to photograph it lighted up but it had the flooding effect so I had to snap the shot with the lights off..

20130426_184321_zps8d5d7b30.jpg

Not bad for Ikea stuff!!

And here we have the common toilet vanity.. lights on!

IMG-20130427-WA0002_zpsc0f1d59f.jpg

Its so hollywoody!

We also installed dog bum hooks behind the door.. way cute!

20130426_184452_zps5304537f.jpg

Dining

And last but not least.. our dining light has been swapped too! From a cheapo imitation tolomeo pendant lamp that didn't look safe when you moved the lamp around.. to a genuine Artemide Tolomeo Pendent Lamp of pure awesomeness!!

20130426_184603_zps0e82295b.jpg

I have to thank patsy_sg for contacting me about it and helping me finally own a genuine Artemide.. it will be loved and well cared for here with us.. :D

Kitchen

Oh yes.. and our backsplash tiles for the kitchen has finally arrived.. once the solid top goes up later this week our tilers will finally begin works that will complete the kitchen!

20130426_185448_zpsa91f45ea.jpg

We're now in our final lap!!

Edited by blueeeeie

Hi greg,

I don't really know if this is considered high low or average since I haven't really done any renovations before this.. but of the 3 contractors I approached, Dennis was considered the lowest.

On top of that, he was also the most accommodating of all the contractors and very patient with our constant changes during the reno process.. sometimes, its not about the money alone, you have to consider whether you'll be able to work well with this person especially if you're the very picky sorts, which we are..

Hope this helps..

Thanks for the honest insight, blueeeeie! Hope your reno completes really soon so you may move in

nice setup blueeeeie! very cozy and spacious layout. those are some awesome works! :) have a bless stay in your new home!

Thanks cookie!!

Enjoy your reno too.. :D

oh gosh love your mosaic tiled toilet! love the big giant glass opening in your living room to your study i assume. lotsa natural lighting!

sigh wished the wifey would green light the mosaic but got rejected =(

Hey that looks really nice! And it cleaned up very well! Should ask hubby to clean up the one in his office as well!

Yes.. looks almost new.. I'm gonna use brasso to polish up the knobs to make it extra shiny! hahaha

Toilets continued

I've never been happier to see the electrician the other day because he has finally installed my remaining lights! The toilet lights are finally up!!

Initially when we first started planning the renovation of the place, I honestly thought that the common toilet's look would be my favourite since it had a more unique and fun theme to it.. but it turns out the master toilet ended up being bumped to first place..

Here's what the master toilet vanity looks like completed.. I wanted to photograph it lighted up but it had the flooding effect so I had to snap the shot with the lights off..

Not bad for Ikea stuff!!

And here we have the common toilet vanity.. lights on!

Its so hollywoody!

We also installed dog bum hooks behind the door.. way cute!

Dining

And last but not least.. our dining light has been swapped too! From a cheapo imitation tolomeo pendant lamp that didn't look safe when you moved the lamp around.. to a genuine Artemide Tolomeo Pendent Lamp of pure awesomeness!!

I have to thank patsy_sg for contacting me about it and helping me finally own a genuine Artemide.. it will be loved and well cared for here with us.. :D

Kitchen

Oh yes.. and our backsplash tiles for the kitchen has finally arrived.. once the solid top goes up later this week our tilers will finally begin works that will complete the kitchen!

20130426_185448_zpsa91f45ea.jpg

We're now in our final lap!!

overlaying the subway tiles on top of the original HDB wall tiles as backsplash? hmmmm... interesting...

Edited by jus4fun

oh gosh love your mosaic tiled toilet! love the big giant glass opening in your living room to your study i assume. lotsa natural lighting!

sigh wished the wifey would green light the mosaic but got rejected =(

Yeah.. we selected our flat in 2009 and have been designing and redesigning it over the years.. the only thing that never changed in our designs was that giant window and the sliding door.. and it made a huge difference in expanding our space visually.. especially in the daytime when the light comes in.. feels less cramped

I think my photos of the mosaic doesn't do enough justice to it.. hahha.. can't entice your wife.. will have to break out the dslr soon to capture some better shots

Did you try showing her inspiration photos on mosaic?

overlaying the subway tiles on top of the original HDB wall tiles as backsplash? hmmmm... interesting...

Yeah.. can't hack so just cover.. anything to hide that ridiculous beige line running across the kitchen.. :bleah:

Besides.. cover cheaper than hack!