Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
annastans

Joanna's Playground; An Em Dream

We are very happy to say that our reno has finally come to an end with the countertop installation today :D The countertop people came at 9am sharp and initially they told us it will take till about 3pm to finish everything so we were prepared for a long long evening. Instead, they finished up all their works in 1-1.5hrs and did a good job at that too! Yay!! Now for some pictures!!

9224243646_762816526c_z.jpg

The Big Picture!

9224250148_34b923ff5a.jpg

The hob is finally in place :D

9224156664_53bb579a50.jpg

I think I'm allowed to brag :P :P

9221478149_dd693081f9.jpg

My husband's "artistic" skills :wacko:. We chose the lagoon pattern which is a very light grey with a marblish pattern. Can't get enough!

9221409673_13f06cce3a.jpg

In other news, our foosball is all fixed up in our "entertainment" room :D :D It has finally ended its nomadic lifestyle and found a place to call home!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wow, still got silestone logo one ah...

Lol! I think most of the major quartz brands have the logo.

Your place so beautifully done up :))

Thank you potatoes!

We are very happy to say that our reno has finally come to an end with the countertop installation today :D The countertop people came at 9am sharp and initially they told us it will take till about 3pm to finish everything so we were prepared for a long long evening. Instead, they finished up all their works in 1-1.5hrs and did a good job at that too! Yay!! Now for some pictures!!

9224243646_762816526c_z.jpg

The Big Picture!

9224250148_34b923ff5a.jpg

The hob is finally in place :D

9224156664_53bb579a50.jpg

I think I'm allowed to brag :P :P

9221478149_dd693081f9.jpg

My husband's "artistic" skills :wacko:. We chose the lagoon pattern which is a very light grey with a marblish pattern. Can't get enough!

9221409673_13f06cce3a.jpg

In other news, our foosball is all fixed up in our "entertainment" room :D :D It has finally ended its nomadic lifestyle and found a place to call home!

woo foosball... nearly got that for my place too..

Lol! I think most of the major quartz brands have the logo.

Thank you potatoes!

1st time see they paste logo... haha...

woo foosball... nearly got that for my place too..

If you have space then you should! I think it's actually very fun!!

1st time see they paste logo... haha...

Oh u mean they usually don't??

Hi Everyone! I’m Joseph (I put the "Jo" in Joanna :rolleyes: ). As you may have read in the earlier posts, we had a tough time selecting a suitable countertop for our kitchen. At first, we were planning on getting a granite countertop, however as the islandtop would be the centerpiece of the living space, a shiny black surface was not really appealing. We had eventually decided on a quartz top for the kitchen.

However, Quartz tops are rather pricey. To help you save some moolah and get an awesome counter top, Anna and I would like to suggest the following :thumbs up: :

1) Skip the middle man: Go directly to the distributors instead of asking your ID or contractor to purchase it for you. The distributors have professional installation teams and can offer you better price/ft run (PM me or Anna if you need the Silestone/Caesarstone contacts)

2) Keep your counter top within 650mm width. Quartz slabs come in standard sizes, if your countertop exceeds the width of a standard slab, additional (hefty) charges will be imposed.

3) Choose a flat edge finish. A Flat edge finishing is cheaper than a 45 degree mitre joint. A flat edge also has no joint lines, hence it looks better (Do let your ID/contractor know in advance that you plan to install a countertop with a flat edge finishing, so that she/he can design the kitchen cabinets accordingly)

Hope these tips will help you save some cash from your quartztop purchase! ;)

So we have moved in and started slowly unpacking while waiting for the last of our orders; a coffee table and sofa set from Novena. So the original delivery date set was 13th July and the salesman kept saying how for sure by 13th July can, latest will be 15th July. So we said, alright then, write the delivery date as 13th July and the last day of delivery to be 15th July. At this point the salesman hesitated and said, ok I'll write 17th July but for sure 13th July no problem. We accepted that and left expo. About 1 week later, the salesman called me up and asked if the delivery date could be postponed to 16th July from the initially agreed 13th July and I agreed. And finally, today afternoon again he called asking if we could postpone delivery to 19th July as shipment was delayed, must do QC etc etc...and I lost it. I don't wanna go into the details of the conversation now which consisted primarily of me yelling at him while he became all thuggish, but if he does not message me a confirmed date (which he said he will be today) or if my deliveries get delayed any further beyond 18th July (which he verbally agreed to after much arguing) there will be some table banging and refunds happening at Novena, Bukit Timah branch.

:curse::curse::curse:

Congrats on your moving in! Bear with the hiccups a little....enjoy your new place. Cheers!

wow ! awesome place and setup !. hope to learn from your experience.

I got some slightly unglam questions. is it ok for you to take pictures of where you position your AC compressor ?

also where you dry laundry ? i am guessing the yard. but since the left side is taken by the washing machine, the logical place is the right side. did you had any "hanger/pole" system installed ?

I am having headaches on these 2 topics. :help:

finally, can pm your contractor details to me ? :rolleyes:

Congrats on your moving in! Bear with the hiccups a little....enjoy your new place. Cheers!

Thank you potatoes!! It's juts frustrating because it's the last leg. haiz! Well, we'll wait and see how things go this week with Novena :)

wow ! awesome place and setup !. hope to learn from your experience.

I got some slightly unglam questions. is it ok for you to take pictures of where you position your AC compressor ?

also where you dry laundry ? i am guessing the yard. but since the left side is taken by the washing machine, the logical place is the right side. did you had any "hanger/pole" system installed ?

I am having headaches on these 2 topics. :help:

finally, can pm your contractor details to me ? :rolleyes:

Thanks alfredt! Haha sure, we'll take some pictures and upload them soon to answer your questions. You're right that the drying area is opposite the washing machine :) We are using aluminium poles instead of the bamboo poles and only reason was aesthetics :P We didn't use and of the systems available as the poles seem sufficient. We don't have internet at our place as of yet, so will get back to you on this asap!

As for contractor's details, please check PM :)

Late last week we spotted 3 scratches on the kitchen countertop and there was no way we could have made those scratches ourselves as in our sample testing we had to use a very significant amount of effort before being able to scratch the top and all 3 scratches were perfectly parallel and ran from 1 end to the other, across the width. It was actually very hard to spot them and they came to light only when my husband whn my husband was scrutinising the slab the day we moved in. Of course we were not pleased at having seen that and called up the relevant people who responded very quickly by coming down to take a look. The worker who installed the slab went all defensive and said something along the lines of, you guys must have made it because you didn't bring it up when we installed it. Tsk! I admit we didn't bring it up after installation but it was only because, combined with our excitement and very faint scratch lines (can't be felt), it was extremely hard to spot! But the OM was very nice and works started yesterday to grind down the affected area and today works are continuing to repolish the whole slab. Very swift response by the Silestone folks and the OM even stayed back yesterday to clean up the whole kitchen and dining which had become very dirty by the end of the whole procedure.

And in other news, we just received confirmation regarding the sofa and coffee table delivery tomorrow and yayyyy!!! That's just awesome! Yesterday the open net folks came as well and everything will be activated only on 20th July. Will try to upload pics of the deliveries as soon as internet is up :)