Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
annastans

Joanna's Playground; An Em Dream

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, could you PM me the contacts? Much appreciated! :)

Hi Everyone! I’m Joseph (I put the "Jo" in Joanna :rolleyes: ). As you may have read in the earlier posts, we had a tough time selecting a suitable countertop for our kitchen. At first, we were planning on getting a granite countertop, however as the islandtop would be the centerpiece of the living space, a shiny black surface was not really appealing. We had eventually decided on a quartz top for the kitchen.

However, Quartz tops are rather pricey. To help you save some moolah and get an awesome counter top, Anna and I would like to suggest the following :thumbs up: :

1) Skip the middle man: Go directly to the distributors instead of asking your ID or contractor to purchase it for you. The distributors have professional installation teams and can offer you better price/ft run (PM me or Anna if you need the Silestone/Caesarstone contacts)

2) Keep your counter top within 650mm width. Quartz slabs come in standard sizes, if your countertop exceeds the width of a standard slab, additional (hefty) charges will be imposed.

3) Choose a flat edge finish. A Flat edge finishing is cheaper than a 45 degree mitre joint. A flat edge also has no joint lines, hence it looks better (Do let your ID/contractor know in advance that you plan to install a countertop with a flat edge finishing, so that she/he can design the kitchen cabinets accordingly)

Hope these tips will help you save some cash from your quartztop purchase! ;)

oooh.. who did you get your silestone from? My silestone bathroom counter top is installed already but covered up with cardboard so I can't see it. Now I'm worried.. if there will be scratches..

Edited by mishmish

Hello linglun and mishmish, PMed you :)

Breezy, your inbox is full!!

mishmish, I can't say that everyone will have scratches, it's just that if scratches are spotted, I would like them to fix it asap, which they did. So do take a closer look when everything's cleaned up and don't be afraid to go back to them for anything :) Btw, what colour did you pick?? I can't see any of your picss :(

Disclaimer :deal: :

1. Quartz tops are expensive. While the tips in the earlier post will help reduce the overall cost, you will still need to put aside approximately 2.5 to 3.0K for a decent looking 15ft countertop.
  2. Quartz tops are not totally scratchproof. A scratch can easily be made with a sharp object like a knife (With some effort). Therefore it is advisable to choose a darker color quartztop over a pure white top.
  3. While Quartztops are stain proof, the white silicon used to join the slabs is not. Therefore care should be taken to keep the joint lines clean at all times.
  4. Always inspect the slab prior to installation. Scratches or dents on a quartz top are usually very hard to spot. Read through the warranty terms and conditions prior to signing the contracts.

Hope these tips prove helpful to you! All the best :yamseng:

Edited by Joseph82

mishmish,

Silestone tops usually come with a 1 year warranty for workmanship. Do contact your sales person and ask him/her about the warranty terms and conditions.

The scratches (if any) will be difficult to spot, but if you do find one, insist on changing the slab. :good:

oooh.. who did you get your silestone from? My silestone bathroom counter top is installed already but covered up with cardboard so I can't see it. Now I'm worried.. if there will be scratches..

Hello linglun and mishmish, PMed you :)

Breezy, your inbox is full!!

mishmish, I can't say that everyone will have scratches, it's just that if scratches are spotted, I would like them to fix it asap, which they did. So do take a closer look when everything's cleaned up and don't be afraid to go back to them for anything :) Btw, what colour did you pick?? I can't see any of your picss :(

We finally got our internet all set up over the weekend but didn't get time to do much on this forum because..

We had our Housewarming Party! (1st of 4 :/ )

9340354432_696871c462.jpg

(still setting up)

It was a great time with family and friends with some damage to the sofa and "entertainment room" wall 8| It was a terrible heartache to see the stains and scratches but I've consoled myself that this isn't the worst; 3 more parties later I can weep :sport-smiley-018: . Well, just buy a better cleaner and a paint brush and we are ready for some touch ups!

Here are the sofa and coffee table in pristine condition when they first arrived :D

9340381718_6e11b512a6.jpg

The full view of the living now:

9340376814_95f1ab8f8d.jpg

Lastly, alfredt, I hope the pictures below will help answer your questions :)

9340366922_58d50bbe73.jpg

Location of the aircon compressor

9340358398_2ae68d3bdd.jpg

On the left is the washing machine area and storage cabinets and opposite it are the poles to hang up the clothes :)

Hope this helps!!

Congrats!!! Your home looks so beautifully done. Super envious of your marble flooring and your Silestone quartz top. I had my quartz installed by Caesarstone but no logo like yours. The company will only give me the warranty. :bleah:

For your sofa, I know Home Fix sells some sort of leather kit. Maybe can use those to help with the damage? Have fun with your other upcoming parties. :good:

Congrats!!! Your home looks so beautifully done. Super envious of your marble flooring and your Silestone quartz top. I had my quartz installed by Caesarstone but no logo like yours. The company will only give me the warranty. :bleah:

For your sofa, I know Home Fix sells some sort of leather kit. Maybe can use those to help with the damage? Have fun with your other upcoming parties. :good:

Thank you 3Dyms! Hahaha bad bad Caesarstone! The quartz top was the only thing that didn't stain during the housewarming party even after all the wine that spilled on it. Phew! I went down to HomeFix yesterday to get the leather cleaner (Zymol) but haven't tried it out yet; the stain appeared to have almost disappeared when I went back home last evening all ready to clean it. Maybe my eyes have just accepted it as a permanent fixture :D

thanks !! your house is :good: love it

Thanks alfredt! All the best with your reno :)

Congrats annastans!

the entire place looks absolutely droolsome

and like what 3Dyms said, your marble flooring is.... wow. speechless :good:

Congrats annastans!

the entire place looks absolutely droolsome

and like what 3Dyms said, your marble flooring is.... wow. speechless :good:

Thank you zihui!! :) All the best for in your reno journey and hope you learn loads through this forum :) :)