Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mrmerry

Qhouse@fernvale 5Rm

Finally, we start the journey of renovating my first house , it comes along together as we are also preparing for our wedding. Similar deadlines!

3 years in the waiting. 2 months to make it happen, 1 dream.

So, we start as all such blog starts, with our floor plan.Screen+Shot+2013-04-22+at+4.44.23+PM.png

Its a simple 5 room flat, small by yesterday's standards, but just enough for us who is starting out in our next phrase in life.

Fast forward 3 years, we finally got the keys and because we have heard too many horror stories of hdb's fittings, and because also we are both design trained ( even though we no longer work in design ) we decided to opt out of whatever options HDB gave us.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The view that greeted us upon entering.

529396_10200535707609074_1805767204_n.jp

What made us instantly smile was the amount of natural light we were getting.

555790_10200535705169013_1346464187_n.jp

The mood was serene.

541920_10200535703088961_771457202_n.jpg

​imagining the possibilities of what lay ahead of us.

558875_10200535705649025_456575337_n.jpg

A bag for reference of size.

Edited by mrmerry

Along the years, i've accumulated some mood images, some the courtesy of some of fellow forumers here!

569F08D1-D8EA-4266-9404-9503A549722F-131

This was one of the best reference i loved.

Dining8.jpg

Open concept..which obviously... we loved but had some problems with...since im a asian cook.

1350453016-769885105.jpg

Beautiful fresh flowers.. hopefully can get that in the new house weekly.

Thanks the 2 blue-ers! its really abit tiring and at times confusing especially when theres a wedding at the back of your mind too!

Thanks the 2 blue-ers! its really abit tiring and at times confusing especially when theres a wedding at the back of your mind too!

Totally understand that! Hang on :)

My hubby used to work as an ID too.. we spent 3 years planning our house and now its finally in its last leg for renovations..

A downside of having the owner once work as an ID is that you end up being the one project managing the renovations!! Its tiring.. but you definitely know you won't get chopped by your contractor since its gonna be difficult to "smoke" you.. hahaha

All the best for your wedding too!

Hi Deviansyh, yes palms : )

Thanks Makanlogy, its..things flying pass me and not knowing which one is more important since all are important. lol.

Juxstapose, u doing it now also?

So there we were, finally a weekend and time to look around for furnitures and appliances that we wanted to have.

First off, we went to Tan Boon Liat Building cause we heard about 3 shops there and its near my current place at tiong bahru.

Went to visit Journey East, Pomelo and one more i forgotten the names.

DINNING TABLE

602141_10200551222156928_1400456590_n.pn

its been always one of my dreams to have a good old solid wood table that future generations can crowd around. So no pencil legs for me.

Was debating between 1.6m and 2 m so in the end the wifey and me decided on 1.8m was a length we could both settle on.

So now we have one option! Its made from recycled wood. Cost: Roughly 2.3k ( excluding chairs )

2013+-+32.png

We later saw at milania walk another option at a much cheaper price of roughly 1.6k and inclusive of chairs.. but the cutting of the legs are abit different..

Option 2 found!

So we dint really see anything that caught our fancy at the other 2 shops or within our budget range so off we went to great world city!

It was a long walk..cause the wifey thought its near..i pity my poor feet.. She was also slowly tired out by the walk!

SOFA

2013+-+15.png

First option we found but the length of the seats were abit too long for my petite wifey. Turns out it was often the case and she has to use a cushion at the back when she's at my place. I mean its a decent sofa, high density german cushion ..so on n so forth...

Problem was the base couldnt be detached and washed and its a big no no for me if the covers cannot be washed and sunned.

2013+-+16.png

Option 2! this was perfect in length for both wifey and me, and despite the base also unable to detach the covers to be washed, there was a cushion at the side which COULD be washed hence solving the issue for me. Also it was on SALE!!! YESSSSSSS!!! and it was within our budget range also.

However the color was too dull for us and the material was not to my liking. Luckily we had options.

2013+-+20.png

Most likely gonna get in green with additional 1 turquoise cover set!

Edited by mrmerry

So to be frank so far.. the only piece of furniture that is confirm is our bed. The Willow Spring with princess headboard.

2013+-+36.png

But now looking at the bedframe headboard.... =( abit ugly...

531883_10200551214636740_133220002_n.png

Changing the covers to fabric again.. but keeping in view if we see any irresistible bedframes..

2 item ticked off and confirmed to be buying will be the miele washer and dryer. Wifey worked as sales in electrical appliances before so she very leaning towards it and me being the cleaning freak also leaning towards cleaner washings ;D Lucky got sale also.

Screen+Shot+2013-04-23+at+5.18.34+PM.png

Heart pain..but o well.. its something u use daily or bi-daily..so a good one is very important.

2013+-+7.png

Saw the fisher and packer fridge. leaning towards the white one.. though silver brushed silver also nice..

2013+-+5.png

A nice touch led study light with varying degrees of light... but **** ex ..

Saw this as we were walking along milenia walk.. wondering if we could incorporate into our tiny bathroom... for the lazy showerer.

379891_10200551213676716_1452988751_n.pn

but without the wooden settings as i think it will be hard to clean.. just imagine algae growing... :jawdrop:

2013+-+33.png

Beautiful coffee table we saw going for 1.1k ish.. but felt that we could do better if we go JB or some other country that sold wood natively... :notti:

After walking the whole day, the next day Sunday was for FSM and the ID to come down for actual site reccee.

Our originally idea of hacking hacking down kitchen and creating a wall partition along the door way dint seem feasible now that we saw the actual space.. so back to the drawing board... Sigh my bath tub was out of the question..