Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Jul Ng-Liew

2200Sf Landed Single Storey Vs 1600Sf Landed Double Storey

Hello all,

With our limited budget, should we go for a move in condition single storey house sitting on 2200 sf land or a double storey house sitting on 1600sf land that requires major renovation (ie to add another $300k)? And both are about the same price, and in same district.

I noticed that most single storey houses are being torn down and being reconstructed into giant houses. My concern is that the single storey house will be dwarfed by neighbors' three storey houses in the near future.

The fact is that we do not even need a three or double storey house as a single storey house fits us just fine. We are a pair of DINKs(dual income no kids) in our late 40s..

Our main reason for buying a landed house is becos we see more capital appreciated in switching from an apt to landed. The money will come in handy in future if we intend to sell it off and downgrade later.

Your opinions appreciated.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If I were you, I would chose 200% on the single storey sitting on 2200ft rather than 1600ft double storey house!!

1.) The value of the house is measured by the land size than the height!!! Buyer will be looking at the land size rather than build up area.

(Dont be fearful of your house being dwaft by your neighbours but instead appreciate the nostalgic charm of an old place.)

2.) Also bearing in mind, you will be getting old and why need the 2nd floor climbing up and down which the 2nd storey will become redundant??

Hope this helps....

Hello all,

With our limited budget, should we go for a move in condition single storey house sitting on 2200 sf land or a double storey house sitting on 1600sf land that requires major renovation (ie to add another $300k)? And both are about the same price, and in same district.

I noticed that most single storey houses are being torn down and being reconstructed into giant houses. My concern is that the single storey house will be dwarfed by neighbors' three storey houses in the near future.

The fact is that we do not even need a three or double storey house as a single storey house fits us just fine. We are a pair of DINKs(dual income no kids) in our late 40s..

Our main reason for buying a landed house is becos we see more capital appreciated in switching from an apt to landed. The money will come in handy in future if we intend to sell it off and downgrade later.

Your opinions appreciated.

If the 1-storey building configuration meets your requirement, the of course it should be it lah...

Also, be aware that the market for FH landed, the asking price for the land of smaller plot is higher. For example, the asking price for a typical 2000sqf is about $1,250 psf, whereas it is about $1,350 psf for a 1600 sqf plot. Everything being equal, that is, both consist of an original dwelling and in similar locations.

The game of lower quantum sum has indeed appeared in the landed sector.

Now, for the case of 2200 sqf, the value of the original building could be just $200,000 or so (ask the bank). Surely there would be some degree of refurbishments, interior decoration etc before you move in, so be prepared to write off this sum when you are selling in future. Unless the next buyer also wants an original building.

Regarding being dwarfed, in my view, it is not really important. You live your life, your neighbors live theirs.

Cheers!

Thank you XC90 & Lauer for the replies. Am more slanted towards the single storey house after having viewed so many properties. Appreciate your time in replying.

It's interesting to see that the lower quantum sum game has penetrated the landed market.

In the past smaller land plots are often ignored but with quantums silently creeping up over the last year (note that these were not publicised in the papers), is landed the new property 'investor' (punter)'s market?