Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
madmax67

Led Downlights - Is There Earth Wire?

Hi,

For those who had installed LED downlights, is there a ground (earth) connection? I was at China recently and all of them comes with only 2 wires.

Is earth really necessary? Sorry....I am just quite stupid about these things.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

nope, my led light also come with 2 wires and my electrician tell me its no point to bonding earth cable on plastic driver..

Earth wire is only needed for appliances like kettle or iron where the exterior is a conductor and there are chances of electric shock when there is a current leakage. So, everything that you don't touch don't need.

If the light holder is metal, you could attached the earth wire to light holder, so if the electricity leaks, it will trip the DB. In circuit with only live and neutral, there is still a chance of the body being electrified if there isn't a earth to trip the circuit. If you have a test pen you can test any surface that is electrified during operation.

if your light holder is plastic unlikely the light holder will be electrified during operation.

Proper installation is important, if the stupid installer flip the switch from the live to the netural, you do get the on/off effect but the surface could be electrified when you touch the surface.

Edited by francisg