Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kissryl

Embarking On Our Nest

After all the meet-ups and many discussions, I have finally decided on my interior designer!

However, I will still like to share my experiences with the many designers i have met before the decision is made.

I have contacted and met 10 over IDs.

I will start with ones who totally aren't worth the time to meet.

The one who left the most lasing impression- Lourve's Joe.

We had arranged to meet at 7pm, I received a message at 7.17pm-saying that he will only reach before 8pm!

So, i asked what time he'll reached and i was told 20 min.

Fine, so for 20 mins, i waited.This guy did not reach until 810pm!

The worst is, he brought his gf along. Which in my opinion, was totally unprofessional.

Another letdown? i have not received his quote at all, since April till now.

What a bad representation of the company!

second in place- the interior lab's R#n

I went down to my place, gave him a call, and I was told he has just woke up!

Needless to say, i rather go home then heeding his advise to have a drink at the coffee shop.

The point is, if you can be late or even overslept for a prospective project, i believe the same will happen when the renovation is ongoing.

These aren't worth risking my $ in.

third one, a lady from Ur#^nd@$ig`.

i won't write out the full name nor co name as although she was late, she had sincerely apologized profusely.

After the meetup, she provided with the quotation as promised.

In fact, she did up her best by following up conscientiously.

The reason why I didn't picked her, was because there are other firms who left better impression on me.

Then, there was also this guy from Areaconcept.

I had asked if he could come up with a quote first, but he refused.

I told him that I will try to arrange for a meetup after getting all other quotes (isn't it easier actually to get an idea of your pricing than waste each other's time to meetup?).

He gave an immediate reply that low price doesn't equivalent good work.

Duh. I know, but nobody wants to be treated like a carrot too, isn't it?

Plus, I didn't say I'll not meet him?

immediately a NO-click feel with him.

So, here are some funny peeps I've met.

I'll pen down the good one in the next.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Our Layout. I will be hacking away the kitchen door, and extending the wall facing the main door.

A little superstitious here - Do not like it when I open the main door and I see the kitchen windows!

Re-doing up the kitchen and 2 toilets, built in wardrobes for 2 rooms and just TV console.

736floorplanedit.jpg

Edited by kissryl

Hi kissryl,

Welcome to RT! :lol:

Glad to see you sharing your renovation journey with us. :good:

I totally agree with your sentence "The point is, if you can be late or even overslept for a prospective project, i believe the same will happen when the renovation is ongoing."

I have learnt the hard way about trusting my hard-earned cash to an ID who's constantly late for appointments. Guess I will apply this theory in the future -> "Never trust someone to manage a project when he/she can't even manage his/her time properly."

Anyway looking forward to seeing more pictures of your renovation.

Happy reno! :notti:

Hi kiss, congrats on ur flat & welcome to RT! Glad to know that u had gone thru a wise process of selecting ur ID/contractor.. Wish u a pleasant reno journey working with the chosen one, unlike Beng & me (if u hv been following Beng's t-blog.. :P. by the way Beng, when i first met up wif mine, he was quite responsive de.. came up to my hse to view & do measurements before coming up wif his suggestions & quotes & he was quite on time too.. but once into production mode... haiz! :()

Looking forward to following ur reno journey & updates & sharing our experience! Cheers! :yamseng:

hi ben thanks!shall post more pics when gg back to new hse! Qing duo duo zhi jiao! :)

Yeah sure! 请多多指教 too! :thumbs up:

Btw, after reading your length introduction, I still don't have an idea which ID firm you have chosen for your renovation. Or am I missing out on some details? Hahaha.. :lol:

Yeah sure! 请多多指教 too! :thumbs up:

Btw, after reading your length introduction, I still don't have an idea which ID firm you have chosen for your renovation. Or am I missing out on some details? Hahaha.. :lol:

Haha she hasn't pen down the gd ones yet.. wait for her next instalment ba!

I haven't got any pictures of my house - deleted them long ago.

I will take them and post them up this saturday!

So I guess, to keep this alive as much as I can - I shall write down my experiences with the other IDs.

I feel that by writing it down, it will help one another more or less. No more of wanting to know how is this person like or unsure if you should sign up with this ID or not.

Here I go, another lengthy post ahead.

Happen to hear about Artrend from a friend's friend who had her house done up by them. Indeed 90% similar to 3d picture!

So met up with Cynthia of Artrend. Very very sweet and courteous lady.

She had a bachelor in interior designing! Goes to see how much Artrend is willing to fork out to hire professionals. (A lot are using our neighbours, they are good too but also surprise to see locals having a bachelor in it)

Had my quote and all, understand that Artrend has their own carpentry workshop, so the materials are good and of course slightly more expensive. Like I say, pay for what you get..

Why I didn't pick her if I sang praises? Because overall, I still have a budget to stick to, and due to some personal reasons too.

If budget allows, I will definitely pick Artrend, or at least it's few of my top choices..

Met up with Peter of Ideal house

Ideal house is very much raved because of Kenneth. However, Peter picked up my query online.

Had a little miscommunication way ahead and instead of coming to my house, he waited at his office.

This is not really an issue of course, because he genuinely had the idea that it is at his office.

Very experienced guy, gave advices on what to do and what not.

Gave suggestions which I really appreciate as well.

Most importantly, he is very ON. HAHA.

He is the one who responds the fastest, provides the quote the fastest and even the amended quotes etc.

Very courteous person also, so I have no idea why would other people said he has an attitude.

Pity that I didn't choose him, one of the better choice too.

Another was Eden from * Interior.

Young guy who has been in the industry for 6-7 years.

He knows his stuff as well and his designs are nice.

Also, * Interior is giving away $3300 worth of items, which you can deduct $3300 off if you do not want those.

We had not thought of going to N-W initially.

Until we heard that N-W is a big company, BUT famous for doing up things within a reasonably price.

And indeed, price are really ok and not like other big companies.

Understand that if you are to bring N-w Interior's quote to other big companies, they will not want to do your business.

Again, never choose him because my hub still prefers another - One guy super raved about and has many many good comments.

In fact, we have heard from someone in the stone industry that this guy is good at his works and one thing, has very good after sales service.

None other than IR Design's Roy.

There was also Brian from Woodedge interior.

Went to see his works, pretty good too.

Most importantly, his pricing is also good hahaha.

However, we still go for the one most raved about. Haha.

We are so scared of the pay peanuts get peanuts issue after our wedding.

(We also hope we don't pay almond price and get monkeys too).

Everything is about taking a risk I guess.

There are still many many quotes I have gotten. Will not say all - my posts are far too boring already. Hahaha.

I will start to post pictures of my home when I meet up the ID on saturday.

Edited by kissryl

Dun worry, am sure others who r looking out for IDs now will find this very good information... even for k-pos like me! :lol:

Thanks for the sharing! Keep up the gd efforts! :)

Edited by jus4fun

Thanks jus4fun! hahaha.

U are right, i have just wrote down the one I chose.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

This saturday I will be meeting him again, to sign the contract and I suppose soon I will be on my journey to choose tiles etc.

Hello greg, I realised, the price actually doesn't differ much!!

at most by 1-2Ks..

The chinese saying really applies here: la chang bu duan. hahaha.

Went to meet up the ID on Saturday at new house. Happy to say that I will be choosing tiles on Saturday!

Yes, there will also be 3d Drawings...

I just need to get my renovation loan done up.

Considering DBS's renovation loan because it is on monthly rest!

So don't get confused peeps, and think that a lower number = lesser interest.

Got to know that by straining my eyes and calculating the interest for comparison sake.

Keeping my fingers crossed and may my loan be approved!

I have also taken some pictures of new house. Thing is, I really feel that the previous owner maintained it well.

Only cons of the house is the level of the house and some issues we are facing with it now - thanks to previous owner (Guess that explains much).

Edited by kissryl