Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Be careful of builders who build slip short work and then refuse to rectify or pay for the rectification work which is clearly caused by their negligence. When you pressed them to repair the damage or else stop payment, the contractor will send legal letter to you to demand payment. When you refuse, they would get a surveyor to survey the damage and the cost of repair would be decided by the contractor. For major repair, the surveyor will brush it aside and put a nominal sum and for minor repair, the surveyor will not even put a sum. In the end, you will be given a choice of fighting it out in court or live with the sub standard work. This is what happened to my neighbour. My neighbour was very upset but got no time to fight the court case, so pay up the balance outstanding amount and hire other contractors to repair the damage.

Before you sign the contract, remember to state down the dispute resolution process.

Cheers!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just met a few builders and did a random check and was so shocked to put out information regarding one of the "directors" which have 20 over companies registered under is his name. And well, his office address on his namecard is actually a HDB home address. Simply ridiculous.

Lately, we have been seeing a few owners bringing developers to court, to seek compensation for defective construction.

So, has the standard of building construction dropped in the last 3 or 4 years?

Recently I have the opportunity to visit some of the upper scale condo projects that attained TOP, and I was surprised to see some of the conditions. So, I do wonder about the degrading standard. (Sorry, I will not named the condo projects. Afterall it is just a personal experience.)

So, how to mitigate the risk one faces in engaging a building contractor?

My 2-cents thought.

- I thought that having an architect fronting the project is a must-have arrangement. By fronting, it means that the owner is dealing with the architect, and the architect deals with the builder. The reason should be obvious (how do you argue with a builder?)

- I also prefer to use a bank and a lawyer to intermediate a payment (to the builder). It is not a matter of whether one needs bank financing for the house construction or not; in other words, there are advantages to use a bank even when there is no need for financing. The reasons are:

a. the builder knows that the payer is the bank,

b. the builder knows that the architect's certification of work done is needed to support an invoice (note that an architect is a professional governed by its Singapore Institute of Architects' code of conduct),

c. the builder, and the architect, know that my lawyer needs my acceptance of the architect's certification before he submits to the bank for payment processing,

d. If there is a dispute on the work done, as certified by the architect, I an still approach the Singapore Institute of Architects for resolution.

Of course, there can still be problems after all. But the point is, everybody knows the process and he has to play by the process.

Cheers!

Lately, we have been seeing a few owners bringing developers to court, to seek compensation for defective construction.

So, has the standard of building construction dropped in the last 3 or 4 years?

Recently I have the opportunity to visit some of the upper scale condo projects that attained TOP, and I was surprised to see some of the conditions. So, I do wonder about the degrading standard. (Sorry, I will not named the condo projects. Afterall it is just a personal experience.)

So, how to mitigate the risk one faces in engaging a building contractor?

My 2-cents thought.

- I thought that having an architect fronting the project is a must-have arrangement. By fronting, it means that the owner is dealing with the architect, and the architect deals with the builder. The reason should be obvious (how do you argue with a builder?)

- I also prefer to use a bank and a lawyer to intermediate a payment (to the builder). It is not a matter of whether one needs bank financing for the house construction or not; in other words, there are advantages to use a bank even when there is no need for financing. The reasons are:

a. the builder knows that the payer is the bank,

b. the builder knows that the architect's certification of work done is needed to support an invoice (note that an architect is a professional governed by its Singapore Institute of Architects' code of conduct),

c. the builder, and the architect, know that my lawyer needs my acceptance of the architect's certification before he submits to the bank for payment processing,

d. If there is a dispute on the work done, as certified by the architect, I an still approach the Singapore Institute of Architects for resolution.

Of course, there can still be problems after all. But the point is, everybody knows the process and he has to play by the process.

Cheers!

Couldn't agree more with Lauer.. thanks for the info.

I recently bought a inter-terrace in February, and due to tight budget, decided to get a builder in myself and avoided ID or architect. I didn't rebuild the house, but essentially redo the whole interior of the house ( keeping the original flooring), i.e. hacking and redo the kitchen and 4 toilets, all build in cabinets and study, redo the driveway, air con piping, electric cables, etc.... my damage: about $40K for carpentry work and another $100K for all the hacking and reno works... original duration was 2 months, but extended up till 4 months of works... and that was with me coming down to the site on almost everyday, checking on the works, and pushing the builder non stop...

the other thing i learnt was never ever pay the builder or contractor the full amount... even with me holding 10% back, he is very slow in rectifying the defects, and despite multiple attempts, certain areas are still defective...

So i totally agree with Lauer... if you have budget, engage an architect to supervise your project. Let the architect deal with the builder, and saves you all the headache...

Of course all is not lost... during my new mini lessons during this renovation, i met lots of nice, responsible, and excellent people... i'm more than happy to share the contacts of my lighting guy, electrician, gardener, and hans grohe supplier... ;-)

happy renovating!

I recently bought a inter-terrace in February, and due to tight budget, decided to get a builder in myself and avoided ID or architect. I didn't rebuild the house, but essentially redo the whole interior of the house ( keeping the original flooring), i.e. hacking and redo the kitchen and 4 toilets, all build in cabinets and study, redo the driveway, air con piping, electric cables, etc.... my damage: about $40K for carpentry work and another $100K for all the hacking and reno works... original duration was 2 months, but extended up till 4 months of works... and that was with me coming down to the site on almost everyday, checking on the works, and pushing the builder non stop...

the other thing i learnt was never ever pay the builder or contractor the full amount... even with me holding 10% back, he is very slow in rectifying the defects, and despite multiple attempts, certain areas are still defective...

So i totally agree with Lauer... if you have budget, engage an architect to supervise your project. Let the architect deal with the builder, and saves you all the headache...

Of course all is not lost... during my new mini lessons during this renovation, i met lots of nice, responsible, and excellent people... i'm more than happy to share the contacts of my lighting guy, electrician, gardener, and hans grohe supplier... ;-)

happy renovating!

Hi hi!

could you share the contact of the gardener and hans grohe supplier please?

thansk!!

happy renovating!

Hi Santa007,

Pls share the contacts of your lighting, gardener, electrician and hans grohe supplier. Many thanks in advance!

Just some thoughts.

If you have time to wait, go order online at Iceprice.com ( german website) or another supplier from Germany that is Hansgrohe suppliers.

I read and pour through alot of reviews in this forum and was skeptical ordering online from Iceprice but eventually I did.

Total cost approximate S$25K for all the taps ( Hansgrohe) , basins ( Duravit) , toilet bowls ( Duravit) inclusive of around $1.9K Gst etc etc.

Goods came all in 1 nice wrapped pallet as promised.

If I buy locally be it distributor or Hansgrohe showroom itself, it would cost me at least $55K and still I have to wait 2~3 mths ( depending on models) which online German dealer just 4 weeks including shipping via air and clearance ex-stocks. Really no brainer...

The savings is tremendous really and the local dealer just charges exhorbitant price including local Hansgrohe itself.

Do some research in Iceprice.com etc and really helps you to save alot if you buying in bulk.

Dear all, I do have 2 bad experience on 1 mover called "goodness mover" which will con u n give bad service. They engage inexperience partimers to do the job. All your furniture n cabinets r not well protected. And they charged u premium price. They charged by per trip so what they do is they split your furniture n stuff to 2-3 trips. They break, chip, scratch yr furniture without u knowing it n when u question, they deny so beware.

Next is U-star stainless steel. They r not proffessional n irresponsible. Giving u lousy quality N bad attitude.

Just some thoughts.

If you have time to wait, go order online at Iceprice.com ( german website) or another supplier from Germany that is Hansgrohe suppliers.

I read and pour through alot of reviews in this forum and was skeptical ordering online from Iceprice but eventually I did.

Total cost approximate S$25K for all the taps ( Hansgrohe) , basins ( Duravit) , toilet bowls ( Duravit) inclusive of around $1.9K Gst etc etc.

Goods came all in 1 nice wrapped pallet as promised.

If I buy locally be it distributor or Hansgrohe showroom itself, it would cost me at least $55K and still I have to wait 2~3 mths ( depending on models) which online German dealer just 4 weeks including shipping via air and clearance ex-stocks. Really no brainer...

The savings is tremendous really and the local dealer just charges exhorbitant price including local Hansgrohe itself.

Do some research in Iceprice.com etc and really helps you to save alot if you buying in bulk.

sound good!

thanks

Hauslab Design and Build. Ben Tan.

Muzi Design Architect, Lee Song Wee.

Complaints against them have been lodged with BCA, URA, SCDF, BOA. Lawsuits pending.

It is a nightmare of epic proportion!

Hauslab Design and Build. Ben Tan.

Muzi Design Architect, Lee Song Wee.

Complaints against them have been lodged with BCA, URA, SCDF, BOA. Lawsuits pending.

It is a nightmare of epic proportion!

I believe it's really tramatising to deal with all these contractors/builders/architects that do not have the substance but are just out to cheat the home owners. Worst still, it seems that URA, BCA, BOA, etc are not doing enough to put as stop to all these by blacklisting them or revoking their licences despite ongoing compaints and investiagations against them. The least that we could do is to share all these info and their pics etc here to prevent any other potential preys from falling into their scam.

One more to avoid - Qwik Built Tech - run by this Chua couple.

This couple touts the benefits of light weight steel but they have absolutely no clue on how to build a house.

Their modus operandi is similar to this Indian gentleman above - and they abandoned our project halfway, leaving

us high and dry with no place to stay.

Unless we spent more money using legal means to chase after them, the police is helpless to our cause.,

Be aware.

How do I attach pictures? Just found their picture - with the power of the internet! :)

Just to share: If you can, pls avoid architect Casey Chua from ADX. We engaged him and agree that the fees paid to him should include the BCA submission fees. during the building process, other miscellaneous fees start to prop up. A very dishonest person.Is there anyway I can lodge a complain to so that others can be warned?