Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Berrycherry

Relaminate Kitchen Cabinets Or Replace The Kitchen Cabinet

Renotalk experts please help..

My 1 week old kitchen cabinet laminate looks horrible! The tiny piece on the catalogue is so different when it's place on the cabinets itself... What can I do? Can i paint over the laminates? Can I just re-laminate it myself? Any recommendation on carpenters to do re lamination at a good price? on a tight budget now.

Very very upset :_ (

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Berrycherry, sorry to hear that. sorry to tell you, you need to replace all the cabinet doors. est. $120-$150 per pcs

Best rdgs

If you google about painting laminate it is possible, but I woudln't recommend it. i think ganglong is correct - just replace the doors, or some of the doors... or, have you considerd making them look different with decals? it could be quite unique and cheap.

What exactly don't you like? Maybe post a picture and you may get some creative ideas.

Feel sorry for you.

Hi Berrycherry, sorry to hear that. sorry to tell you, you need to replace all the cabinet doors. est. $120-$150 per pcs

Best rdgs

Thank u Ganglong. At this price of $120-$150 per door, it is the same price as doing up a whole new cabinet. Think this will be my last last resort.

If you google about painting laminate it is possible, but I woudln't recommend it. i think ganglong is correct - just replace the doors, or some of the doors... or, have you considerd making them look different with decals? it could be quite unique and cheap.

What exactly don't you like? Maybe post a picture and you may get some creative ideas.

Feel sorry for you.

Thank u EdensMom, I googled painting. Apparently it's quite popular n common oversea but contractors here say the paint will not "eat onto" the laminate. I am using wood feel finish lamiate for my cabinets which I think painting is possible but the whole outlook might not look good anymore. Yup decals is definatly a gd idea, but can't seem to find in sg. Mine cabinets must change colour as the whole cabinet turns out beigh instead of white. Color totally mismatch with walls n floor. I m getting samples of the laminates now and do my experiments on them first.

Lesson learnt- The actual full piece laminate will look a bit different from the catalogue's tiny piece. It is best to check out the bigger sample piece before making the decision.My wood feel laminates turns out to have "eyes" that is super big n looong. Grrrr.....

I freaking can't believe my contractor who did my whole house charge me $2000++ for the changing of less than 20 doors... Whereas other contractors i randomly called charged $1000-1400 ... And is partly his fault as he kept telling me no bigger piece to see when I repeatedly request. Arghhh!

I freaking can't believe my contractor who did my whole house charge me $2000++ for the changing of less than 20 doors... Whereas other contractors i randomly called charged $1000-1400 ... And is partly his fault as he kept telling me no bigger piece to see when I repeatedly request. Arghhh!

I agree with u.. Even we were abt to do the same mistake..but luckily i read some forum abt requesting for bigger laminate piece..Infact it did help us to change on eof our wardrobe laminate..

I agree with u.. Even we were abt to do the same mistake..but luckily i read some forum abt requesting for bigger laminate piece..Infact it did help us to change on eof our wardrobe laminate..

Lamination can be changed if it on the body of the cabinets as my carpenter did for us when we found out the body color is different..but not sure for the doors as it gets ABS trimmed..

Perhaps consider buying kitchen cabinet doors from ikea and getting them to install for you? might be cheaper than getting custom made carpentry.

U are lucky. I didn't read renotalk on advise for this ... Thus didn't know my rights. Hope this info will help newbies doing Reno. You can and must request for bigger samples to view.

Lamination can be changed if it on the body of the cabinets as my carpenter did for us when we found out the body color is different..but not sure for the doors as it gets ABS trimmed..

Smartlady, can share ur carpenter contacts with me? I m looking for carpenters have experience im doing this. I just realise my door didnt get any abs trimmed too and i m charged so ex for the cabinets.

Thank u in advance.

Smartlady, can share ur carpenter contacts with me? I m looking for carpenters have experience im doing this. I just realise my door didnt get any abs trimmed too and i m charged so ex for the cabinets.

Thank u in advance.

I m not happy with my carpentry works..If u still need i can pm u..lousy carpenter..chose all colors n when cabinets arrive different color lamination..LAter he found its his fault he cahnged it..

Okay, here is another idea.... this company called Ministry of Door make very nice aluminium cabinet doors. Maybe give them a call and as the price. I've used them for other doors, and the quality is very good, and they are professional and quick. Have a look www.ministryofdoor.com.sg. ‎

Otherwise, there are plenty of decal places in Singapore. You just need to work out what type of decals you want :) For example, if you want something small, try a company called Art Decal Singapore. Or if you want a full size mural across the whole cupboard, try Creative Wall Decal. Both are in SIngspore, and have good websites to browse. I have bought successfully from each of them.

Be creative and I am sure you'll end up with a dream kitchen. Good luck.

Edited by EdensMom

Smartlady, I think I better not take the risk since u had a bad experience with ur carpenters. Will check out other alternatives first instead. Btw i found 2 carpenters that could do up my kitchen with the new lamination and I was quoted $800+, dats a expensive lesson learnt. Thank u.