Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pills

Eastern 2Bdr Home Built On Love, Woody Style

I am getting my keys next week and am so excited to put together the style my fiance and I have in mind.

It's a resale apartment that's pretty well maintained so we won't be doing much reno to it. Just painting and buying new furniture. It's also a 2 bedder and 1 room will be a home office room + jamming room. Fiance and his music. ;)

There's not much of distinct theme to it except that the both of us prefer wood and a home that gives a warm feel rather than the clean modern look. We like painting and posters too so we might accessorize more with these. So far, we have gotten some painting from Prague which will definitely be displayed.

I'll take pics of the empty apartment once I step in next week and post along the way to share how we put together this home built on love.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

First piece furniture we got last week from a chop called Fantasy Sleep Centre @ Furniture Mall is our bed frame.

It was more of a functional piece that fits all our criteria.

We wanted a wooden bed with storage, made of solid wood so that it can last longer. We were so ready to forgo storage if we cannot find a bed made of solid wood and we not only found one but one with the edges tucked below the mattress so we won't have to worry about knocking out knees.

bedframe_zps8a2e8139.jpg

We get to select our headboard to match an we chose the above. Simple design and this queen sized piece is made of solid pine wood. Comes with 3 drawers on 1 side with a total of 6.

Dark wood was not our first choice but no complains since it suited our criteria and I think I won't have a hard time changing bedsheets as the mattress edges can be easily reached.

Edited by pills

Next up was the same sofa from Commune that itsybits in renotalk has bought too. We got ours in beige though.

And we almost got our dining table from Commune too. It was the 1st piece of furniture that we like and we didn't go ahead yet as they didn't have any GSS promo. It was a walnut extendable 1.6m to 1.8m dining table. We love the curves and scandi influenced design.

We were about make our purchase... only to find out that it was made with veneer top. We then decided to shop around as dining table would be of high usage and we would rather a solid one that can last a much longer time. Moreover, the solid wood and solid wood top dining table in commune was only 1.6m long which is too small for us.

We were open to the kinds of wood but prefer walnut colour for its medium brown hue and grain pattern.

Edited by pills

So, we went scouting around yesterday and looked really hard to try to get a dining table before the GSS ends. Some shops GSS ends on 30 June you see.

We found our ideal piece in Journey East and they are running their 20% store wide discount up til today!!

The piece is a vintage from the 1950s to 1960s. Made of solid teak so it's real stable and hardy. It is 1.72m and can fit 3 chairs on one side. A total of 8 chairs if you don't need a lot of space. It wasn't too wide and won't eat up the space in our dining area. Moreover, the table top was restored well with the beautiful grain showing. This furniture was found in Central Java and probably Dutch influence. I simple love its legs with the gorgeous long grooves. Table top isn't too thick so we can still shift around easily. It was also in the medium brown shade that we wanted. The pricing was ideal too. It was perfect!

My only concern was it was a vintage that was owned by others. Hhmmm... a bit scared of those stuff. But seeing my fiance's liking for it and only 1 thing that is probably irrational fear, We purchase it on the spot!

We went without the dining chairs. The chairs were really heavy and made of teak too. Now, I am thinking of using 2 of my grandma's old teak chairs for the side chairs and match the rest with modern ones.

dining_zps7468419d.jpg

The weird thing is that it came in 1.72m in length and I was wondering why such a weird measurement? It was almost like we were meant to have it. We didn't want a 1.6m long table and was unsure whether a fixed 1.8m will be too long. A 1.72m it is!

Really love this piece coz it has such a character and it's really one of a kind here in SG, I would think! =))

Edited by pills

We also went to Franc Franc @ Vivo City yesterday and they are currently having a 15% discount for Mastercard users and promo ends today so hurry!!!

We went in planning to take a look at accessories for inspirations but found the TV console and bookshelf/wineglass cabinet we wanted. Totally unexpected good finds!

We bought the 1.5m high cabinet in natural colour as below. Fiance stood beside to show how small it is.

bookshelf1_zps33a9530c.jpg

What we like about it is that it looks different from the other shelves and we can adjust it such that only the wood partition show on 1 level when we hide the glass panel behind. It can have alternate partition design. We can display our books and sill use the bottom shelving for wine glasses etc for guests. We can easily cover it from dust.

The glass adds to the retro feel too and it's real cute!! The only drawback for me was that it's too low but it's really not easy for us to find furniture pieces in light wood that we both feel strongly for. This piece is also made of solid ash wood. Maybe coz Franc Franc is a Japanese company so furniture pieces aren't too big.

We got the matching solid wood TV console in natural coloured wood too. The picture below shows the darker wood one.

tv_console_zps01b1a94a.jpg

We have specially order this from japan as the lighter coloured wood in no longer available in SG. It's an old design and will only arrive in September. Didn't know Fanc Franc has such good stuff and we were lucky to step in yesterday before the sale ends.

I'm satisfied that both pieces come with covers so that we can protect our things from dust. We were deciding between this and a solid medium coloured wood one from Natural Living at Bukit Timah. That one was real cheap at $900+ after adding delivery charges. It's their moving out sale deal. That piece looks more expensive too but in actual fact is cheaper. We decided to go light in the living room. Don't want so many dark pieces at home and light pieces will age well. =)

Edited by pills

I'm all excited to accessories and do up my home bit by bit. We may need another shelf for books.

Living room is lightly to be in cream and light blue theme with light wood piece.

Bedroom in dusty violet and dark brown wood colour.

Home office in Ikea and simple style.

Hope the style flows... :wub:

Edited by pills

I got the keys to my place yesterday and went in to take a look. Previous owner left it neat.

Here are some pics of the living area. They left all the lightings behind. To save money, we're only going to change the lights in the dining room, entrance and outside the common toilet.

1_zps4e017378.jpg

2_zps20a74397.jpg

I like the current house colour coz it is warm and inviting but we're probably changing it to a lighter white shade.

Edited by pills

3_zpsd5bf7d18.jpg

The kitchen is rather spacious and quite big, especially when compared to new projects. I am going to cook coz I shouldn't let the kitchen go to waste. Haha...

Don't need to replace anything, just need to clean it up and add a microwave oven with grill.

Edited by pills

This is the common toilet and we're probably going to change toilet seats only. Not even the shower head.

4_zps6eedef40.jpg

All lights are warm in this house so we're loving it.

Will add more pics after taking them when I go over later.

Edited by pills

I am looking for reliable and not too expensive contact to revarnish the parquet. Any to recommend?

Also, I bought these are Millenia Walk yesterday. Vie drinking glasses which look like so so quality but they were cheap in nice shapes. So bought 18 in all.

20130704_190057_zps037c9adf.jpg

And the Luminarc Trianon 20 pcs set at only $68!! More details of this set here. Bought 2 box sets coz we wanted at least 8 sets. And the funny thing is the both of don't really cook! And we got these so soon coz it looked like a good deal.

I didn't even want a plain white set at first unless it has nice patterns. And these have spiral waves at the side. Not the design I love best but oh well, it fit our budget and criteria.

luminrc_zps639f2712.jpg

Edited by pills

By the way, I want to sell the chandelier too. Will post up closed up pics in garage section soon. Anyone keen just PM me. And self collection please. ;P