Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ahbuih

Advise Needed For Renovations On Resale Hdb 4-Rooms

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie on renovations and I seek advice from all of you on my renovation plans on my newly bought resale HDB 4-rooms 93sqm, appreciate if some experts can give some inputs.

Current house conditions which do not suit me:

Master bedroom

• The wall between master bedroom and common room was hacked by previous owner to combine into one big master bedroom.
  • A hollow partition wall was built in master bedroom to separate bedroom and walk-in wardrobe
  • Basically I wanted to reinstate the original 3 bedrooms

Master bedroom toilet

• No cabinets for boxing up piping
  • No shower screen
  • No mirrored storage cabinets

Common toilet

• No cabinets for boxing up piping
  • No shower screen
  • No mirrored storage cabinets

Living room

• A partition wall was built in the middle of living hall to serve as a featured wall + suspended TV console
  • Some storage cabinets was built at bomb shelter area to serve as shoes cabinets and storage cabinets. Laminate surface was dull and old and doesn't suit my preferred theme. By the way, all cabinets are still in pretty good condition.

Kitchen

• Full height kitchen cabinets was built. Again, laminate surface was dull and old and doesn't suit my preferred theme. Some scratches can be seen on solid top.

General

• Painting must be redo
xtnm.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • The RED line between master bedroom and common bedroom - This wall was hacked by previous owner for a bigger master bedroom and I would like to reinstate back to original.
  • The GREEN line in the master bedroom - This is a hollow partition wall that serve a walk-in wardrobe which I would like to remove it.
  • The GREEN line in living room - This is also a hollow partition wall that serve a TV media wall which I would like to remove it
  • The Blue box in living room - This is the area where I would like to install a featured wall for my TV Media

Renovation plan which I would like to do:

Master bedroom

• Reinstate the hacked wall so I can have the 3 bedrooms back.
  • Reinstate the 2 sets of doors and frames for master bedroom and common room. (Can we reuse the existing master bedroom door and frame? Maybe refurnish or repaint will do? Save cost...)
  • Dismantle the partition wall
  • Cut down the size of existing wardrobe (full wall length) because this will be too big for a smaller master bedroom. I wish to reuse the wardrobe as the condition wasn't too bad.
  • Construct a small featured wall and suspended TV console

Master bedroom toilet

• Construct a glass shower screen
  • Construct box up piping
  • Construct mirrored storage cabinet

Common toilet

• Construct a glass shower screen
  • Construct box up piping
  • Construct mirrored storage cabinet

Living hall

• Dismantle existing partition wall
  • Construct new featured wall, suspended TV console + suspended working cabinets
  • Relaminate the storage cabinets in living hall, is this possible? Or rather construct new door panels? We are looking for country style cabinets doors which is a little bit 3D instead of laminate (refer to the attached photo for reference). What would be the price difference then?
  • Change main door in country style, same theme as all the cabinets doors

Kitchen

• Again, same as living hall, should I relaminate or rebuild? I visited IKEA and found out there are many choices on cabinets doors design and size which I really like but I'm not sure these will match the measurement of the customized cabinets in my kitchen. I'm yet to measure. Any idea how can I go about? Thinking of buying the doors only from IKEA and install into existing cabinets.
  • Can I replaced only the solid top? Or maybe polishing will helps?

General

• Painting on whole house
  • Chemical cleaning on whole house after renovation
  • Any good recommendations on curtains on whole house?
o11z.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Roughly how much does all these renovations cost? I have attached the floor plans here for reference purpose. Thank you again for viewing.

Regards,

Terence

Edited by ahbuih

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

painting should be around $1.5k.

door frame is very strong la, no need to change, just refurbished and its good as new. Maybe just get a budget door.

just Go direct and u can save.

96720326- Ang

he is the contact for doors, shower screen, window.

all the best for your renovation!

painting should be around $1.5k.

door frame is very strong la, no need to change, just refurbished and its good as new. Maybe just get a budget door.

just Go direct and u can save.

96720326- Ang

he is the contact for doors, shower screen, window.

all the best for your renovation!

Thanks for your input!! :)

Another questions from my side, do I need to look for an ID in my case or a contractor will do the job? How much is the different in terms of price between ID and contractor?

the differences should be around 40%.

if you have time and design ideas, go for direct contacts.

If u dont have both then go for ID, but this id must be very power with their sub con. if not sure alot of delays in work schedule.

40% is pretty much.. :wacko:

My questions if I go towards a contractor:

- Do they help also in giving ideas and little bit advice on space planning?

- How they normally present the ideas to client? Paper sketching or maybe 3D drawing like ID?

- I have no time for visiting/supervise the team throughout the progress, which a good ID might able to do the coordination and make sure everything runs smoothly. How important is this?

Maybe u call call this guy 9680 5445 melvin. Pretty busy guy. Try ur luck see whether he can help u.

He use to work as id, now i think he helping he subcontractor as job coordinator.

Yeah, mind boggling isn't it! I don't know how IDs can charge so much premium!

You sound like you know what you want, and if you have pictures of the exact style etc, if I were you, I wouldn't waste money going to an expensive ID. But, you do need someone who can properly project manage all the work.

What you're doing sounds a lot like what we did.... I chose a very simple ID firm, which is really more of a contractor who does everything. I gave them a clear list of what I wanted, and photos, etc and we got exactly what we wanted. I also tried doing a few things on the side myself because I thought it might be cheaper (ie contacting someone separate to do the doors, someone to do the mosqituo netting, the painting, the curtains etc). What I realised though was that it all needs to be phased very carefully .... eg cannot replace the doors before the plastering done, and must do it before the painting, etc etc, and this could clash with what the contractor is doing). So, I would recommend just go with one person which you trust, unless you really have A LOT OF TIME and patience to coordinate all the separate elements yourself, and also be willing to pay more to fix up things which may go wrong.

I was happy with my chosen firm (which was priced more like a contractor, since they are Malaysians in Singapore). PM me if you want the details! Good luck!

And yes, you can relaminate, or replace the doors. I think replacing doors is a better idea, as they'll last longer and price won't be too much difference.

Maybe u call call this guy 9680 5445 melvin. Pretty busy guy. Try ur luck see whether he can help u.

He use to work as id, now i think he helping he subcontractor as job coordinator.

Thanks bro.....!!:good:

hi i know this is a bit late, but i engaged Melvin for some small jobs for our EA. he is very good, patient and charges reasonably

just in case anyone is looking for a contractor

:)