Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
choonkeat

Unleveled, Sloping Floor

How "harmful" is an unleveled, sloping floor with regards to installing parquet? (Strictly about renovation works, ignoring concerns about the owners, myself, feeling the house is sloped)

Background: We've stayed in the house for a couple of months and the tilting didn't bother us, though visitors who come will sense it. The parquet floor wasn't done well (previous post months ago) and we decided to have the contractor rip up the floor and do-over.

The slope is quite significant: 165mm from one corner to another corner (14m).. this also mean to level everything will add that much cement -- is it even allowed to add so much cement?

Hence I'm wondering how much sloping can the house "put up with" before it affects the parquet (reason why we rip up the place). Or is this totally unavoidable, a 100% level floor is the best thing to do, everything else is necessary collateral damage

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Choonkeat,

Reading through the previous post about your parquet flooring experience, you have my deepest symphathy.

Regarding your question here, situational based, the contractor should know the best solution to add on/grind off how much cement to acheive a certain level.

Any minor sloping can be fixed with laying of a plywood subfloor.

I do hope you've decided to go ahead with another contractor for this round of parquet installation.

this particular unit (pre-war tiong bahru flat) is too sloping. can't grind off anymore at highest point (I can feel it!), and if we level up the whole area, the windows at the lowest end will come to hip level!! very dangerous.

after exploring many options, we're proceeding with a sloping floor, with approx 2cm minor correction.

we tried going for a new flooring company (another story!), but assessed it will affect many many built-in stuff... so end up letting the existing contractor to fix everything :-( hoping for the best.

would like to seek some advice. One of the rooms in the unit that I purchased has a hump on the floor tiles. This was not detected earlier as the hump was under the bed :angry:

I have checked with a contractor and he said it is due to job not done properly when previous owner laid the tiles (something like not enough cement and due to the air trapped inside expanded the ceramic tiles now pop up??). Has anyone encountered this before? Can this be rectified easily? Or is this a potential structural problem?