Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Hi summersann,

thank you for the warm welcome! (PS Yes, I know how to use the multi-quote function but everyone has been so friendly that i wanted to respond to each and every one of you personally)

you're absolutely correct. actually, the bathrooms are a huge source of headache for us.

We definitely need to overhaul all the toilets. Problem here is that we have 3 toilets (one in the MBR, another on the 2nd floor and one on the ground floor)

With regards to the toilet on the ground floor, according to the previous owner, it was actually a wash area. They decided to convert it to a common bathroom.

Now my HTB and I are in debates as to whether or not we should convert it back into a wash area.

For me, I'm in favor of converting the ground floor toilet (located in the kitchen) back into my dry washing bay where I can put my washing machine and dryer.

My HTB insists that we should have a toilet for guests to use on the ground floor as it doesn't make sense for them to run up the stairs to use the common bathroom whenever they need to use the loo

What do you think?

Definitely keep it as a toilet. Many people want one downstairs but don't have one because it's originally a wash area only. So since the previous owner had already converted it, you should definitely keep it as a toilet. I don't have guests come over very often, but it's proven convenient to have a toilet downstairs.

All the best for your reno! :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Definitely keep it as a toilet. Many people want one downstairs but don't have one because it's originally a wash area only. So since the previous owner had already converted it, you should definitely keep it as a toilet. I don't have guests come over very often, but it's proven convenient to have a toilet downstairs.

Totally agree with you. keep the ground floor toilet. :)

Wow so close??!!

Fantastic - I can't wait to see the start of your t-blog!

This way, we can share contacts and cheer each other on! :jammin:

Mine is also EM at JW. Currently in reno progress. You can pop by once complete in about 2-3 weeks time to get a feel and have an idea. I also currently staying in JE at my parents house.

Edited by Alanng

Totally agree with you. keep the ground floor toilet. :)

Thanks for the good advice as always

we've decided to retain the ground floor toilet after all. *sigh* there goes my washing bay hahahahhaha

Mine is also EM at JW. Currently in reno progress. You can pop by once complete in about 2-3 weeks time to get a feel and have an idea. I also currently staying in JE at my parents house.

thanks alanng!!!

we would love to pop by when the reno is completed if you don't mind having us over

thanks for being so friendly!!

My reno will starts in sep.. Same period! Lol! Talk abt coincidence!

hahahhahahaha

Likewise!!

our first appointment with the HDB will be on this Friday (2nd Aug)

after that, our 2nd appointment has been tentatively set for the 12th of Sept

so shortly after that, we will be starting the reno!!!!

sorry for the late replies

we went away to bangkok last weekend

managed to buy some knick knacks and decorative items for the house from Bangkok

will take photos and upload them in due time tee hee

HTB wanted to buy a swinging chair for the balcony but after factoring in the shipping cost, decided that it's more economical to buy it in singapore so we scrapped that idea. but he did manage to buy an artificial grass patch for his precious balcony :bleah:

Went to Bangkok over the last weekend with my HTB's family as part of his brother's birthday celebrations.

We found some spare time to hit the Chatuchak Weekend Market to hunt for knick knacks while the others went for pedicures / foot massages.

Managed to find some adorable items with which I can decorate our home with -

1) Black tea light lantern holders which my HTB intends to hang at our (sorry, HIS) balcony (picture grabbed from the store's website)

uj2f.jpg

2) White candle light holders in different sizes which I can decorate the living room with (picture grabbed from the store's FB page)

dyjd.jpg

3) My HTB's favourite item - the artificial grass carpet for HIS balcony (this is a close up. The entire thing measures 1 square metre)

y21v.jpg

He intends to place it in a corner of the balcony and then put his water feature / plants on top of it.

We also got several other aromatherapy burners and reed diffusers for the entire house

Total Damage = THB1,580 (S$63.20)

Hopefully everything comes together nicely!! :sport-smiley-004:

Seriously, I've been Bangkok and Chatuchak at least 10 times but this is the first time that I've gone there intentionally keeping a look-out for household items, knick knacks etc (like any other female, I spend almost all of my time and money at places like Platinum Mall, Pratunam etc) so it came as a pleasant surprise that there was such a wide array of knick knacks and household items available. The best part is, the stall owners all made such an effort to do up their shops nicely! Some of the shops really looked out of place at Chatuchak! Some photos -

1) Attracted by the gorgeous bowls and utensils but didn't buy any because HTB says that I'm crazy for buying such stuff even before we start the Reno

kgg6.jpg

2) We bought a lot of stuff from this shop

0q2t.jpg

3) Can you believe how gorgeous this shop was? It wouldn't seem out of place at Siam Paragon or any Singapore shopping market yet there it was in a tiny alley at Chatuchak (my photo doesn't do it justice - it's actually even more gorgeous in real life)

45k6.jpg

The HTB has promised me another weekend trip back to Bangkok AFTER our Reno & Wedding issues have all been settled.

This time, he wants to head over to his favourite Talad Rot Fai to get the knick knacks and decorative items that caught his eye on our previous trip. Such a pity that we didn't have time on this trip to check it out. :unsure:

Hi Zihui,

Interesting to know about the night market for antiques and retro knick knacks.But its closed down and relocated.Just a heads up. =)

'>Talad Rot Fai Closed Down

New relocated night market:Srinakharin Soi 51 behind Seacon Square

The former place IMO lend it a nostalgic era feeling and aura.

Edited by Freakerz

Hi Freakerz,

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, we know. It is now quite a distance away from where we were, that's why we didn't go down to Talad Rot Fai. Just our luck... We were there in May this year and went drinking there too. Initially planned to visit there again for shopping and drinks last Saturday... Didn't think they would move in June.

Luckily my HTB found out about the relocation from his friends in Bangkok.

Freakerz, do you head over to Thailand often too?

Hi guys, need your advice again.

My HTB heard that the promotions for most mattress / bedding shops will end by tomorrow so we decided to head down to IMM after work today. True enough, the sales staff from all 4 of the major bedding companies told us (without us asking) that the promotion will end on the 31st of July and they don't know when the next promotion will be. One sales staff from S***y even told us that prices are going to increase starting from Aug as they're clearing out old stock.

Now, we know that this is a sales tactic but should we decide on a mattress now? After all, we'll need delivery latest by the end of Oct '13 and quite a number of people have told us that we need to give them around 8 weeks or so because they may not have stock for the headboard. We are already planning another trip back to IMM tmr evening after work. Should we just place a deposit already?

Second question - I need your advice and opinions from fellow forummers who have bought from them before. Which of the following will you recommend -

1) Max Koil - King sized mattress with headboard, bed frame, 1 normal Latex pillow, 1 contour pillow, mattress protector, no GST and no delivery charge. Priced at $2,199. But we don't like the free headboard designs. For the one that we like (or rather I like), we need to top up $600.

2) Serta - King sized mattress with no headboard, no bed frame, 2 free Serta pillows, free mattress protector, free Serta soft toy (hahahha) and free bench in front of the bed. Priced at $2,420. If we want their headboard and bed frame, we need to top up $799. The sales staff told us to buy the headboard and bed frame from outside instead. No GST and no delivery charge.

3) Simmons - King sized mattress with headboard and bedframe. 2 free pillows and free mattress protector. No GST and no delivery charge. Free $200 Lee Hwa voucher. $2,969. But once again, I'm not keen on their headboard and bed frame to be honest.

4) Sealy - King sized mattress with headboard and bedframe. No GST, no delivery. $2,989.

What do you guys think? If it was up to you, which one would you go for? We've tried the mattresses and we like them all (amateurs). My HTB likes the Serta one but that means we'll have to source for our own headboard and bed frame (where should we source for such items from??). I personally prefer Sealy. However, we both know that the rational choice should be Max Koil, given our limited budget...

Advice needed please...

Edited by zihui

Personally, I would take Sealy but that's only becoz I'm using Sealy. Mattress is a good place to invest. When you get home after a long day at work, you will feel that the money is well spent. The Sealys, Simmons and Sertas can last really long so it's a good investment.

Headboard and bedframe can be had from most major furniture shops. I got a storage bedframe recently from Defu, cost about 1k. Delivery is 3 weeks from date of order.

There are also cheaper models out there.

For atas types there are King Koil storage bedframes from Robinsons go for about 1.8k ala carte before discounts. Their other non-storage models go for 800++ to about 1k.

The normal ones without storage feature should cost about 600-700 for king-size, depending on finishing and how sian tao the sales people are.

Actually for mattresses, it is the most un-transparent part of the furniture business. Like how do you know if the mattress, has a comparable model in other shops that could allow you to benchmark prices? Don't believe all this "promotion is over" thing - you can never tell. Just set a budget and buy what you think you like (hard, soft, with the top layer, without etc), and bargain from there.