Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AlezDrake75

Maisonette In The West

Hi AlezDrake75,

May I ask which floor is your unit at? Is your unit well ventilated as in, do you get open space or obstructions outside your window, especially the kitchen...? And if it's open space, is the open space an empty lot of land or some parks, carpark or low-rise structures..?

Edited by eddy1564

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrats on get your Em and started the Reno. I know which block and unit is yours...because I am staying at the nearby block. Actually this is one of my dream block for Em...and I also view the unit. But I chosen another unit at blk 71X and getting my keys next week and starting Reno the following week. Will be starting my t-blog then....cheers.

BTW...can u pm me how much u deal the unit?

Hi AlezDrake75,

May I ask which floor is your unit at? Is your unit well ventilated as in, do you get open space or obstructions outside your window, especially the kitchen...? And if it's open space, is the open space an empty lot of land or some parks, carpark or low-rise structures..?

Hi eddy1564,

My unit's on ground level. There's carpark right in front & an open plot of land behind of my unit. The front is actually block by surrounding flats, so it's kinda hot (as told by neighbours) hence the inclusion of 2 more air-cons for living & dining room... Kitchen walls are totally hacked down to the minimum & glasses are used for the the entrance way to the courtyard to have an open feel of the whole house...

Zihui, no worries lah. Wether it's EM or 5M, all is maisonette. So everyone is welcome. *thumbs up* ;)

Hahah... Agree on west side EM club. Not many of us here. Can also include Happy Ang.

hahaaha i knew you would be nice about it!

West side rules!!!!! *beams*

Congrats on your EM purchase!

I was advised by a industrial hood service crew that it is the design that make a hood efficient.

The suction rate not much difference since most is bet 800 to 1000m3/hr.

:yamseng:

I was advised by a industrial hood service crew that it is the design that make a hood efficient.

So is the slimline hood better or is the chimney hood better?

i'm quite concerned about this as i'm a heavy cooker and my kitchen cabinets will be in white so i'm looking for something strong...

So is the slimline hood better or is the chimney hood better?

i'm quite concerned about this as i'm a heavy cooker and my kitchen cabinets will be in white so i'm looking for something strong...

Hi Granitetop & Zihui,

I've been advised by friends & contractors that chimneys are better than slimline hoods as they have bigger suctions & (some chimneys come with) charcoal filters to keep out odours from excessive cooking... We're looking at either Tecno or Turbo for hood & hob. I'm not that worried as we dun cook that often (maybe dinner once in a blue moon/special occasions)

White is our theme for the kitchen cabinets with a splash of black quartz top (sprinkled with gold powder). LED lights will run under both the L-shaped white cabinets (dividing kitchen from dining) & separated island (dividing kitchen from living rooms). Kitchen floor tiles are 1 or 2 tones darker than wall tiles which complements cabinets & (stainless steel) appliances. I opt for a false ceiling kitchen fitted with LED lightings, creating a smooth flow into the living & dining rooms (fitted with cove lights & chandeliers). Can't wait to see the finished work!!!:notti:

Edited by AlezDrake75

Hi eddy1564,

My unit's on ground level. There's carpark right in front & an open plot of land behind of my unit. The front is actually block by surrounding flats, so it's kinda hot (as told by neighbours) hence the inclusion of 2 more air-cons for living & dining room... Kitchen walls are totally hacked down to the minimum & glasses are used for the the entrance way to the courtyard to have an open feel of the whole house...

If you're going for open concept, are you brave enough to go without a hood. I personally don't use one and don't intend to use one in my new home as well. Honestly, I feel hoods are overrated. Naturally ventilate your kitchen and clean your kitchen regularly. By cleaning I mean mop the floors, wipe the grease off the cabinets. Do it once a week is enough or once in 2 weeks. Look at it this way, if you don't want to clean your kitchen frequently like I suggested, you still have to clean and maintain your hood if you decide to get one. And cleaning the hood is NOT pleasant. Grimes and grease that have stayed there for weeks or months depending on how often you clean them. So just consider it. Ask you ID or contractor for their views. There are more and more people I know who have gone without hoods. Just my 2 cents worth... :)

If you're going for open concept, are you brave enough to go without a hood. I personally don't use one and don't intend to use one in my new home as well. Honestly, I feel hoods are overrated. Naturally ventilate your kitchen and clean your kitchen regularly. By cleaning I mean mop the floors, wipe the grease off the cabinets. Do it once a week is enough or once in 2 weeks. Look at it this way, if you don't want to clean your kitchen frequently like I suggested, you still have to clean and maintain your hood if you decide to get one. And cleaning the hood is NOT pleasant. Grimes and grease that have stayed there for weeks or months depending on how often you clean them. So just consider it. Ask you ID or contractor for their views. There are more and more people I know who have gone without hoods. Just my 2 cents worth... :)

Thanks for the advice eddy :) My wife do clean the house every week but like i mention in my previous posts, i dun cook that often (& deep frying's prohibited in the house) so grease & grimes won't cause much problem. I dun remember having grease or grime in my old house w/o a hood but it's for the benefit of my god-ma who'll occasionally drop by to cook for us...(outside food are not :no: good, blah blah blah... :jawdrop: ). Not to forget they're 2 air-cons on the same level so having a hood's more of a preventive measure for us to keep out any odour (if any)... hehehe :notti: Ventilation should be good as there're no walls from front door to courtyard (2 entrance to courtyard). I dun have an ID, just a contractor to execute my ideas. Not too sure how it'll turn out but definitely a pleasant experiment worth trying!!

Stay tuned for more updates :)

Open space now may not mean it will be open space later, but it's your choice....

Good luck with your Reno!

Hi Alpc,

Dun quite understand what you meant but thanks anyway for your wishes!

Hi Granitetop & Zihui,

I've been advised by friends & contractors that chimneys are better than slimline hoods as they have bigger suctions & (some chimneys come with) charcoal filters to keep out odours from excessive cooking... We're looking at either Tecno or Turbo for hood & hob. I'm not that worried as we dun cook that often (maybe dinner once in a blue moon/special occasions)

White is our theme for the kitchen cabinets with a splash of black quartz top (sprinkled with gold powder). LED lights will run under both the L-shaped white cabinets (dividing kitchen from dining) & separated island (dividing kitchen from living rooms). Kitchen floor tiles are 1 or 2 tones darker than wall tiles which complements cabinets & (stainless steel) appliances. I opt for a false ceiling kitchen fitted with LED lightings, creating a smooth flow into the living & dining rooms (fitted with cove lights & chandeliers). Can't wait to see the finished work!!!:notti:

That is what i've been told as well

Looking forward to starting the process soon!

Hi AlezDrake75, nice reno there. 2 months for whole house and further more your is a EM, think it about there. All the best and welcome to the west. Cheers

Hi AlezDrake75, nice reno there. 2 months for whole house and further more your is a EM, think it about there. All the best and welcome to the west. Cheers

Thanks Mark :) ! Always glad to know someone from the west. Actually have been staying in the west since 1980s, shifted a few times & now just a few blocks away (a carpark away lol :D ) from my old place... Just can't see myself leaving Westside with all those shopping malls sprouting up in Jurong... hahaha....

Stay tuned for more updates... Cheers buddy :drunk: !

Do renos for maisonettes need 2 months to complete :bangwall: ??? Sigh :help:

My Reno took 1.5 months for a total overhaul. Lots of hacking & tiling, relaying electrical and heaps of built-in carpentry works. But it's all worth it. I'd rather my contractor takes 2 months and do a good job, then rush to complete in 1 month and end up with sloppy work. :)