Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LocalGod

If My Malaysia Friend Come Over And Stay A Couple Of Days = Illegal?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

You're free to have guests in your HDB flat, if you're the owner. Else check with owner :)

Also, ensure they've proper entry permit for their duration of stay. It's homeowner's responsibility overstayers and illegal immigrants may pose security problems to your family and neighbourhood.

Had similar issue with my tenant once , about him allowing his parents from India to stay for a few months or that his relative stay over until EP is approved & finds a place to stay.

Called up HDB to check and the answer is :

by the book, the answer is Not Allowed.

"c. Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who are holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits*, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of subletting application."

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf/w/RentOpenMktRentOutRoom?OpenDocument

but my agent said that parents are usually OK so as long as their visas are valid. This is more "hear say" to me than anything , so far no one is caught or been warned.

No allow. and Snoppy as mentioned. that funny that we go other country, we normally will stay friends/relative's house for few days.

so just keep quiet and hope nothing happen. ;)

Edited by clanbuster

anyway, it is just a matter of time for the enforcement to be strict and also who complains. Esp when everything is computerized.

Cover backside 1st with the portion about valid documents.

I think it should be allowed for a few days especially since they are on visit pass. Ultimately, if you are renting the place, ensure you get the permission from landlord, because the first person to complain and make trouble to you will be them, if they are fine with it, it might be a courtesy to update other tenants about it, and emphasise that its only for a few days, one week max.

Now this brings me to another question, say if we went out drinking, and since we are quite drunk and can't get back to our homes, thus all (maybe 4 pax) slept at friend's rented room. Assuming the landlord is ok, since its a once in a bluemoon thing, is this against the law?