Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oldskool

Blast From The Past

hello all

been surfing around for the longest time and gotten tons of useful information from everyone here.

we are halfway thru our reno and thought it w be a good time to start this before our memories fails us. :) and hopefully in return share with anyone who needs any info that might help.

we read about all the do's and dont's, but ended up doing a lot of dont's. haha so fingers cross that all goes well.

our ID/contractor search was over pretty quickly in less than 2 weeks, and we went w a pretty new start up which obviously went against the recommendation from the advise here, but guess we took the risk as we felt we could click better with the ID.

So anyway, as the title suggests, our home to be is theme to be a blast from the past. we wanted our new home to remind us of the days growing up in the 80's at our grandparents' cement screed flooring, old wooden furniture, torn laminates, vintage tiles, all things old....yes we are abit crazy like tt. haha.

so expect a lot of cement (wall,floor,table) which again is not recommended here from what we read, but we weigh the pros and cons, checked out our friend's place and decided what the heck, and took the plunge. :)

things been moving really quick with minimal hiccups so lets hope it stays tt way.

here's the 3d of the dining, master toilet and floor plan.

will share more as we blog along! cheers!

gallery_55498_86_156690.jpg

gallery_55498_86_153846.jpg

gallery_55498_86_19007.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hahhahhaha Blast from the past!

you guys really are retro lovers! I think you'll end up going to Goods Of Desire quite often to get their quirky old school items right?

Am looking forward to following your blog through the process!

Waiting for my keys. Almost same floor plan except your kitchen is more squarish while mine more rectangular.
Also your toilet outlay is different.

more pictures! :sport-smiley-018:

thanks for the replies guys.

hapigal: yeap we gonna paint chalk board paint over that particular wall.

zihui: we love G.O.D. stuff but they are pretty costly, so far i have only a tissue box from them haha.

moving on with the reno process. from the very start we knew that we wanted a open concept kitchen, and also had specific tiles / laminate in mind, the selection was pretty much over in 5 mins, when we told our ID what we wanted, and they immediately knew what we were talking abt. :)

i w let the pics do the talking.

so off goes the wall:

gallery_55498_86_69151.jpg

tiles for kitchen:

gallery_55498_86_93993.jpg

tiles for toilet dry area:

gallery_55498_86_36523.jpg

ventilation blocks to seal off original kitchen entrance:

gallery_55498_86_45514.jpg

laminate for bedrooms:

gallery_55498_86_83428.jpg

i think we are probly the only few who chose the above laminate which looked all torn and battle worn...:) but thats the look we are after so it was an easy choice.

we also combined our master bedroom with one of the common room. and the master bedroom will be used as a wiw, and the common room will house our bed. this means hacking down a opening between master bedroom and the common bedroom, and sealing up the existing door for the common bedroom.

at this point of time we are done with all wet works. below are some pics of the progress.

vent blocks:

gallery_55498_86_39189.jpg

toilet tiles:

gallery_55498_86_12654.jpg

laminate laying:

gallery_55498_86_2259.jpg

will update more on the furniture we got to go with this 'old' house.

cheers!

wow seriously old school haha the ventilation blocks. Cool but i guess comes of a price of cobwebs within the openings.

Anyway, won't putting ur WIW further away from the MBR toilet be a better solution. Common problem with these are moisture right? :)

we also combined our master bedroom with one of the common room. and the master bedroom will be used as a wiw, and the common room will house our bed. this means hacking down a opening between master bedroom and the common bedroom, and sealing up the existing door for the common bedroom.

vent blocks:

gallery_55498_86_39189.jpg

Haha lala81 yea guess I gotta cope w the spiderwebs every now and then.

On the master bedroom we wanted to use it as a wiw and study.

Other consideration taken into is if one of us is asleep and other party needs to wake early or use the pc it wldnt distrb the other party.

Makes it easier when the toilet is near to the clothes as well. :)

Guess we will have to throw couple of thirsty hippo around to deal w the moisture haha

Hi,

Very very tastefully done up, and location of the WIW is perfect !

Seems like you've hired the right ID :)

Edited by macuser77

thanks macuser77, yea its been smooth so far hope it will be all the way :)

to go with the theme of how we want our place to turn out, we have to find specific places to hunt for our furniture.

this forum has been a great help, with recommendations on where to get retro vintage pieces.

we went places such as second charm, journey east, mountain teak,lorgans, and few other places with similar sort of pieces.

the sofa and dining chairs we felt will play a big part on the overall feel of the place together with the lights.

after many weekends of hunting we found these 1960s refurbished sofa and dining chairs:

gallery_55498_86_30774.jpg

gallery_55498_86_155392.jpg

gallery_55498_86_24246.jpg

gallery_55498_86_120461.jpg

gallery_55498_86_95312.jpg

gallery_55498_86_3414.jpg

now to think of it furniture hunting was tiring having to go round the island to find the correct piece, but it was worthwhile when we found the right pieces.

we have 6 dining chairs of 3 different design to mix and match our concrete dining table, cant wait to get these delivered.

i think probly as of now with the photos, many will see this as wa lao why this house so kampong one hahah

more kampung lights to follow soon! cheers :)