Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
greenlantern213

Buying Sanitary Ware Overseas And Wels Certificate

Hi everyone,
I would like to buy my sanitary wares online from iceprice etc. However I was told by my contractor that I need to buy local in order get the WELS certificate as PUB will inspect the site to check if WELS certified fittings are used.

I found this list of approved products on the PUB website which has essentially the same information as the WELS certificate that you get from the supplier http://www.pub.gov.sg/wels/products/mandatory/Pages/default.aspx

I'm happy to buy the products that have been approved, just online instead. My question is, has anyone experienced the same issue of having to produce the certificate for a PUB inspection? And has anyone used what is on the website in place of the certificate?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by greenlantern213

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

I think it's not a problem as long as you dont get those mega rain shower that exceed limits of the water consumption. If you go to Hansgrohe showroom in Singapore, some of their products does not pass PUB standard as well.

I wanted to get the Hansgrohe Rain Heaven shower but was told will not pass the PUB inspection for my rebuild house.

Anyway, i purchased online from Iceprice Hangrohe & Duravit sanitaries worth of goods value at $23K and after waiting for about 1 month, the goods was safely delivered without hiccups in 1 well packed pallet. If I would buy it locally here, it would certainly cost me more than $50K!!!

Even the GST consideration of approximate $2K...it's still a fabulous deal for a top notch German sanitary product!!

Hi all,

I'm in the process of a re-construction and was informed by the Hansgrohe advisor at the boutique about the WELS program.  I spoke to someone at PUB WELS and they said that all the taps, faucets, flushing cisterns + toilet bowls have to come with the WELS label upon your building plan submission.  There will be random spot checks on properties to enforce this regulation.  

What this means:

- All products need a WELS label - this means you can only buy locally from local retailers.  If you buy a product from overseas or even if you reuse an old tap without the lable that is on the WELS approved list, you are not compliant.

- Flushing cisterns and toilet pans/ bowls need to be purchased as a set.  I wanted to buy them separately but WELS approves only by cisterns + toilet bowls.  This means you're forced to buy them together as a set and not allowed to mix and match.  

Buying in Singapore is 3 times the price compared to Germany.  

Has anyone here have had experience and if there's any way around this?  I've heard about installing cheap fittings and removing them after inspection- that aside.

Thanks

6 hours ago, dpjoey said:

Hi all,

I'm in the process of a re-construction and was informed by the Hansgrohe advisor at the boutique about the WELS program.  I spoke to someone at PUB WELS and they said that all the taps, faucets, flushing cisterns + toilet bowls have to come with the WELS label upon your building plan submission.  There will be random spot checks on properties to enforce this regulation.  

What this means:

- All products need a WELS label - this means you can only buy locally from local retailers.  If you buy a product from overseas or even if you reuse an old tap without the lable that is on the WELS approved list, you are not compliant.

- Flushing cisterns and toilet pans/ bowls need to be purchased as a set.  I wanted to buy them separately but WELS approves only by cisterns + toilet bowls.  This means you're forced to buy them together as a set and not allowed to mix and match.  

Buying in Singapore is 3 times the price compared to Germany.  

Has anyone here have had experience and if there's any way around this?  I've heard about installing cheap fittings and removing them after inspection- that aside.

Thanks

depends on what you are buying. NOT EVERYTHING comes under WELS. certain categories are not covered under WELS but the majority are covered.

I think some of the faucets which I bought locally a few months ago does not come with the WELS label inside the box (need to go home to check to confirm this though).

edit: just confirmed that none of my German branded faucets come with any WELS label inside the box

and BTW, BCA building plan submission does not require that sanitary fittings have WELS label. BCA does not check on this. The WELS check is done during TOP or CSC clearance by PUB officers.

Edited by snoozee