Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
greekrose

Sofa - Leather Or Fabric?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Leather has different grade right? So very good no need so much maintenance.... Mid rsnge need a lot of maintenancepolish to make it look good.... And easier crack right somemore cant see sunlight...

Fake leather is actually same as fabric all poly esters, poly urethane mateiral.... Its just snother fabifc right?

I think easier clean i will choose pu leather...got aesthetic value plus easier to clean... Fabric sometimes u will feel obliged to wash hahahahahahahah... I got money i will get the top end leather maybe will be best....

1. depend how hard working you are

If hard working, do maintence well - leather

If not that hard working, fabric

2. do you had A/C in living hall? Are you ready to on it?

If ready to on A/C - leather

3. is your living hall west-east facing? will your living warm during day time?

If living hall cooling - leather

Personally I think if you have younger children, fabric is better. Currently I'm using leather, my two kids (>3yrs) start drawing on them and sometimes, they will scratch them using sharp object like keys while playing. I gotta use a throw from Ikea over my leather sofa to prevent them from 'harming' my leather sofa. Now my leather sofa is full on stains and scratches... sign

Will change to fabric sofa for my new place, any damages to the sofa cover, I can wash or change them.

If you do end up choosing leather, I just posted in the Garage Sales section selling my Lorenzo order (bought on impulse and now doesn't fit in my home design). Here's the link: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/61807-wts-lorenzo-sofacash-vouchers/

As for your question, in my previous home we had a fabric sofa for the first few years but we also had two dogs who peed all over it and we ended up throwing it out and ended up buying a leather one (display set) which lasted us a good few years until we moved out recently. Our leather sofa took plenty of abuse from the dogs and our two sons, was easy to clean and got more comfy with age. We donated the sofa to my sister in law when we moved out because she also had dogs and had to throw out her fabric sofa.

Now that we dont have the dogs anymore, we're considering getting a fabric one again for a change, and cause leather doesn't fit in our design.

So hope that helps!

100% I will use leather. Fabric if kena sweaty smell.. very hard to get rid off. Leather can easily use leather cleaner to get the refreshing smell back.

For Synthetic leathers, there are few types. Vinyl, PVC, and PU. PU, like most of our shoes synthetic leather, will tend to crack under sunlight or heat if left exposed. Vinyl is a much better choice.

As for real leather, if budget allows, definitely is a much better choice.

Fabric, as long as there isn't any rash act in your house, like kids spilling over syrups, it will also be a good choice, since fabric will be the one adding flavours and colors to your home.

Cheers!

Fabric for me. It's nicer to touch and look at. Warmer feel.

I feel exactly the same!

Prefer the feel of fabric against my skin.

I vacuum my fabric sofa every now and then, or wipe with a slightly damp cloth, no maintenance issues.

But it all boils down to individual preference and usage e.g. if you have pets or children spilling liquids more frequently, then fabric is less practical.

I'm searching for a sofa, and there are a few things about leather sofa which sort of put me off

1. First, we read and hear of so many who supposedly paid for full leather, top leather, etc, end up with something else. There are so many technical terms for leather and yet as a layman, hard to tell the difference, and high price does not equate to high quality sometimes.

2. I find leather sofa design is generally bigger or bulkier, so if your living room is small like mine, then this is another thing consider.

Fabric itself also have its own cons too, which I can probably live with it

1. I find fabric sofa design are pretty limited. They all look more or less the same especially those u can remove the covers.

2. How true are the premium fabric one paying for is really premium.

Go for fabric. Best is 100% polyester, it's synthetic.

Alternatively, you can go for 50% polyester and 50% cotton but I personally don't like it as it's harder to remove the stain.

100% leather are expensive but it's nice to look at and easier to maintain.

If you gonna take the cheaper option of getting synthetic leather, don't bother. It will not last long and it will crack especially if it's in the afternoon heat!