Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
plainsharon

So Far So Good At Foliage [4-Room]

Congrats on the upcoming home! I think it has progressed well but still left quite abit of appliances etc.. Whats left?

Are you targeting CNY and able to move before CNY?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Congrats on the upcoming home! I think it has progressed well but still left quite abit of appliances etc.. Whats left?

Are you targeting CNY and able to move before CNY?

Thanks. Am planning to move in next week actually. By tomorrow painting should be done and plumbering will be coming in. There was some measurement issue with the table top so tomorrow will be in the do some rectification.

Still praying for things to go smoothly so that after mr. K inspection he could arrange for cleaning and handover. :)

hi plainsharon, congrats on almost finishing all reno work! you must be so excited!

seeing that you took 3 months, i'm getting worried. i also got a popular contractor and to me the layman, progress could be much faster. although my hubby say everything is on track and i'm the gan cheong one :dunno: luckily you not caught by CNY holiday. my works started end Dec and i'm hopeful for a handover end Feb plus there's the 2 weeks break when all workers will be on leave. and i'm overhauling the whole place some more so there's a lot of work. so far, today tiling works are being done in my 2 toilets. i'm also using Evorich HERF, was quoted $6.20 at expo and some more i'm doing whole house so total cost is almost $10k :angry2:. now will push them to give me $6!

like i've always told my friends, nobody has the perfect reno story. at some point, there will be frustration. what makes a situation bad or good is your attitude towards it, so these days if things are not moving much as quickly as i'd like it to, i shop for small things online. even if it means adding one item to my Peeka list.

even with the positivity, i'm getting very worried because i need to vacate my current house by 22 Feb and i don't think works will be done by then. i don't want to rush the work but hubby and i will really have nowhere to stay, plus we have 2 small kids and 2 cats. seems we already need to put our stuff in storage, plus move twice and in the meantime have to tompang my mum house. i really don't like this mentality of "cannot promise a handover date" because it puts everything in limbo. but i have trust in my contractor who has been nothing but patient so far with me, and trust in God.

another thing i cannot complain about my contractor, he really gives me the best rates. every time i think i can get better rates outside for windows, grilles, doors or most recently granite, i have found his rates are either lower or not much difference. given the work we are doing, the initial quote was very scary but it really can't be helped cos the area is bigger since it's a resale and some works cannot be avoided e.g. hacking, make good, plastering etc. so from now on, i'm going to leave it in his good hands.

i'm so sorry this turned out to be a rant post :~ , but i just thought i'd share my experience to others who may or may not be using mr K - indeed it could be worst. but we chose the good ones for a reason, so i hope all our journeys will be smooth mostly, and where there are bumps, may we be granted patience to go through it :)

Edited by mellenur

Day 88

Pending Items have been cleared or should be cleared

1. Painting [should be completed by today]

2. Plumbering [should be completed by tody as well]

3. Granite Top [up since yesterday but there was some measurement issue and have to make some rectification]

4. Lighting wiring and closing some electric points. [Completed 2 days ago]

Here is the dirty granite top :

1544517_10152562301729546_1762161371_n.j

We bought shadow blind from Qoo10 at a pretty cheap price, though not as cheap at Taobao but the quality was really good and it was much cheaper than curtain and blinder suppliers which quoted us 2-3 times more. :)

1535474_10152562301804546_963248666_n.jp

Some other pending items coming up :

1. Final Round of General Cleaning on Thurs

2. Handover after the General Cleaning

3. Gas piping installation

hi plainsharon, congrats on almost finishing all reno work! you must be so excited!

seeing that you took 3 months, i'm getting worried. i also got a popular contractor and to me the layman, progress could be much faster. although my hubby say everything is on track and i'm the gan cheong one :dunno: luckily you not caught by CNY holiday. my works started end Dec and i'm hopeful for a handover end Feb plus there's the 2 weeks break when all workers will be on leave. and i'm overhauling the whole place some more so there's a lot of work. so far, today tiling works are being done in my 2 toilets. i'm also using Evorich HERF, was quoted $6.20 at expo and some more i'm doing whole house so total cost is almost $10k :angry2:. now will push them to give me $6!

like i've always told my friends, nobody has the perfect reno story. at some point, there will be frustration. what makes a situation bad or good is your attitude towards it, so these days if things are not moving much as quickly as i'd like it to, i shop for small things online. even if it means adding one item to my Peeka list.

even with the positivity, i'm getting very worried because i need to vacate my current house by 22 Feb and i don't think works will be done by then. i don't want to rush the work but hubby and i will really have nowhere to stay, plus we have 2 small kids and 2 cats. seems we already need to put our stuff in storage, plus move twice and in the meantime have to tompang my mum house. i really don't like this mentality of "cannot promise a handover date" because it puts everything in limbo. but i have trust in my contractor who has been nothing but patient so far with me, and trust in God.

another thing i cannot complain about my contractor, he really gives me the best rates. every time i think i can get better rates outside for windows, grilles, doors or most recently granite, i have found his rates are either lower or not much difference. given the work we are doing, the initial quote was very scary but it really can't be helped cos the area is bigger since it's a resale and some works cannot be avoided e.g. hacking, make good, plastering etc. so from now on, i'm going to leave it in his good hands.

i'm so sorry this turned out to be a rant post :~ , but i just thought i'd share my experience to others who may or may not be using mr K - indeed it could be worst. but we chose the good ones for a reason, so i hope all our journeys will be smooth mostly, and where there are bumps, may we be granted patience to go through it :)

Thanks for dropping by my tblog.

Totally understand how you feel but luckily you are not rushing for CNY thus better quality, hopefully~ :)

I was quoted $6 by Johnson and it was awhile ago not sure if they could still offer the price but 10K is really huge amount. But yours is a 5RM but the price difference compared to mine was way too much!!!:jawdrop: We were initially quoted about 5k for whole 4RM of HERF.

Wish you good luck it bargaining with Evorich~ :good:

Maybe you could set a dateline for your contractor to commit and if he could not commit could deduct from the balance payment since dateline for u is really tight~ I don't mind to house your 2 cats~ LOL! :notti: I have 2 doggy furkids they will make good friends with your furcats~ :lol:

Nevertheless, i agree that engagement with ID could be even worst if we did not chose the right contractor or ID to work with. At least for me, Mr K deliver what he promised and on time too. :) Mr K is also NOT those money minded kind of contractor which keep chasing on payment. It is good enough that the reno journey went kind of smoothly. On the last part of the reno, i let my hubby arrange with Mr K instead me aliasing with Mr K and everything went well.

Day 89

Some defects found for touch up. Not sure if these kind of finishing is okay and acceptable. :dunno:

1003055_10152570119254546_229064467_n.jp

1511676_10152570119374546_722220284_n.jp

Our Door Number is White against White gate? :wacko:

996089_10152570119434546_1345837406_n.jp

These kind of finishing is all over the main gate :

1497539_10152570120049546_1565279261_n.j

Kitchen Granite skirting was installed halfway due to the measurement issue : Now its left unattached onto the wall. :wacko:

1545175_10152570120269546_1861283413_n.j

Edited by plainsharon

Update Continues

Other then those, others are fine and great! :good:

Cute installment by Mr. K's plumber :

1601145_10152570120384546_1179732907_n.j

Daring Black pipes for kitchen :

1554516_10152570120469546_158759412_n.jp

HansGrohe Kitchen Tap which we bought last minute from bath lab at vertex building for fabulous price. It was a showroom set as we needed it urgently however, it does comes with warranty :good:

1604559_10152570120609546_1057331839_n.j

Black Granite Top in Kitchen is up and looks dirty and dusty :

1012238_10152570120674546_2052904618_n.j

Walkway :

1559672_10152570120789546_1564658153_n.j

Day 89

Some defects found for touch up. Not sure if these kind of finishing is okay and acceptable. :dunno:

Actually I've also been wondering what exactly is acceptable workmanship and what is not. I guess it depends on how obvious something is? If it's something that can only be found upon closer scrutiny and provided that it doesn't bring with it any other risks such as water damage, potential to breed pests etc, it should be ok? I probably need some guidance on this myself too.

Everything looks to be going smoothly for you this last stretch. Huat ah! :good:

plainsharon, i'm sorry i don't mean to LOL but really LOL!

common sense ain't that common after all!

get them to come back and fix that for sure! the other pic i think your frustration is the hairy/furry bits of paint?

i had that when i self-painted my grill at my current grill. that's right, me the amateur doing self-painting, and i thought it was because of my brush.

any others who can give feedback?

Our Door Number is White against White gate? :wacko:

996089_10152570119434546_1345837406_n.jp

Update Continues

Other then those, others are fine and great! :good:

Cute installment by Mr. K's plumber :

1601145_10152570120384546_1179732907_n.j

Did you ask for this or they just go ahead and install for you without telling you?

Actually I've also been wondering what exactly is acceptable workmanship and what is not. I guess it depends on how obvious something is? If it's something that can only be found upon closer scrutiny and provided that it doesn't bring with it any other risks such as water damage, potential to breed pests etc, it should be ok? I probably need some guidance on this myself too.

Everything looks to be going smoothly for you this last stretch. Huat ah! :good:

Yeah~ i agree if its something obvious will be something not acceptable, but some obvious visible error have to close eyes. :ph34r: Some error im not sure if its obvious or only be found upon closer scrutiny. For e.g the cutting edges of the tiles. hmmmmm~ anyway those i close eyes already. :)

Just glad that renovation is over and we are ready to move in. :lol:

hi

can pm me how much is the barn door?

thanks

That barn door we were quoted 800 for each, though Mr K did mentioned that the previous sub con who his previous barn door was different person who did my barn door. The carpenter was the one doing our barn door. Thus not sure if the price might change. Waiting for Mr K to calculate the final price. :rolleyes:

plainsharon, i'm sorry i don't mean to LOL but really LOL!

common sense ain't that common after all!

get them to come back and fix that for sure! the other pic i think your frustration is the hairy/furry bits of paint?

i had that when i self-painted my grill at my current grill. that's right, me the amateur doing self-painting, and i thought it was because of my brush.

any others who can give feedback?

When i saw it, i was like :wacko: . Thought the painter was going to paint it the next day, went back the next day and it is still in the same white against white. :bangwall:

Mine was not due to the brush but probably due to the dust flying outside of the house and rested onto the gate. The furry/hairy was not a huge issue but rather the multiple bits on the door that was irritating. Mr K told me it could be due to flying dust but it seems like the bits were being painted over, i suspect the painter did not sand off the gate to smoothen the painting.

Mr K told us that he will get his painter to touch up later on. :)

Did you ask for this or they just go ahead and install for you without telling you?

I did told K to arrange for the plumber who would do this kind of fixture which he did for his previous clients to fix our plumbing but he mentioned it will depends which plumber he assign to. :)

i also LOL-ed on the white on white ... :P

get them to repaint the numbers!

yeah~ the white on white abit :wacko:

Not sure what they are thinking~ Rushing to finish the gate's job i guess. :blink:

Anyway we bought our own paint to paint it over, Hubby insisted on using Gold. :wacko: Not sure how it will looks like. :rolleyes: