Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Laminate issues which I am very uncertain on how to rectify.

The gap where the underlying plywood is visible just above the sink. Worried water enters and will cause problems

photo1_zpse905f5eb.jpg

They used a black permanent marker on the laminate to hide the visible plywood underneath. Is this normal?

photo2_zps6a36d438.jpg

Any insights/inputs from renotalkers are appreciated!

not good...water will seep in around the sink...i agree...withhold payment...get them to fix it proper...or else you will have a huge headache keeping that area dry..ALL THE TIME

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Agree...i tested a light coloured quartz and tumeric stained it....something to consider if you use tumeric in your cooking

is there differences between different quartz ? have been talking to different contractors/ID and got different views.

one told me oil will stain granite

another said quartz most robust, no stain and no scratch.

then another variable : origin..

one claims that indian granite is better than china quartz while the cost are comparable.

Man.... so so confusing...

Black marker to touch up the laminate is not acceptable. It is something that a layman / noob like me will do if I damage the laminate myself and don't want to pay for a replacement. But for a professional like them, this is ridiculous. Fight for your right!

Hi makanology,

I have given the main con a piece of my mind.

There is another method to touch up the laminate joints which they haven't tried. Though makes me quite upset that they didn't suggest that first and went for this permanent marker bs.

Anyways meeting carpenter with main con next weekend when I'm back in sg.

Your posts on tao bao are really inspiring! I'm just about starting to renovate my place and didn't know that we could even order from Taobao (cos of the shipping and thought they only do bulk sales)..

But just a question, do you think it's safe or worthwhile to buy big items like sofas or dressing tables from sellers there? via that Peeka! site

Greg not sure if this helps but if u can't get the main con to resolve try getting silicone to seal up the gap to prevent water from going in.

dunno will help or not but worth a shot :)

Vanity and kitchen counter tops are installed! Really quite in love with the look. No regrets with this choice.

photo2_zps13b2db01.jpg

photo3_zps06f530d9.jpg

Nice laminate. could you share the name of it. thanks

The gap where the underlying plywood is visible just above the sink. Worried water enters and will cause problems

photo1_zpse905f5eb.jpg

They used a black permanent marker on the laminate to hide the visible plywood underneath. Is this normal?

photo2_zps6a36d438.jpg

Gap for the 1st, seal with silicone/sealant usually. But the 2nd one, I believe there's supposed to be edging. I forgot the term my contractor used

photo1_zpse905f5eb.jpg

photo2_zps6a36d438.jpg

Hi Greg ,

Like what Tessina said, just seal it with silicone. If the gap looks uneven, it's not the carpenter's fault. It's the unevenness of the wall and flooring that is inherent in all apartments. This is due to the constant expansion contraction. We can't expect the carpenters to completely flush the wood against the walls/floor.

You can prevent moulds from growing in the silicone by spraying it with mould removers, this is especially so when the sink area is humid.

Good luck.

Hi Greg ,

Like what Tessina said, just seal it with silicone. If the gap looks uneven, it's not the carpenter's fault. It's the unevenness of the wall and flooring that is inherent in all apartments. This is due to the constant expansion contraction. We can't expect the carpenters to completely flush the wood against the walls/floor.

You can prevent moulds from growing in the silicone by spraying it with mould removers, this is especially so when the sink area is humid.

Good luck.

Hi macuser, I am referring to the joints between the laminates. This is not due to the uneven-ness of wall or flooring. There is inherent limitation of the joints between laminates but I think in this case it is too wide in certain areas of the same plywood. This leads me to believe that the laminate is not applied evenly that's why only certain areas, the laminate joints are widely space apart. They tried to "rectify" this by using a permanent marker to colour it black. To the extent that there are black markets applied onto the laminate itself. This is quite unacceptable. There is another rectification they are recommending but I want to see for myself on Saturday before I decide to go ahead. Clearly their workmanship is quite shoddy I'm afraid.

Yes ABS trimming is only for the doors. It's to prevent water from seeping into the laminates. Primarily for kitchen carpentry where it is most prone to getting wet i.e higher risk of wood rotting

Nice laminate. could you share the name of it. thanks

thanks! this is from lamitak. there are two laminates. One is called Iron, and the other is brushed aluminium.