Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

hi greglhc, just dropping by to say that after seeing your consoles and tables, I might put in an order to get this study table or this, this dresser and this rocking chair. Was hesitating at first thinking if $300-500 was too much for a TB purchase but saw your comment about your table earlier being $450 and seems like good quality.

Thanks again also for the link to Papa Bear chair! Now talking to my real Papa Bear to convince him to let me get the olive one...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi greglhc, just dropping by to say that after seeing your consoles and tables, I might put in an order to get this study table or this, this dresser and this rocking chair. Was hesitating at first thinking if $300-500 was too much for a TB purchase but saw your comment about your table earlier being $450 and seems like good quality.

Thanks again also for the link to Papa Bear chair! Now talking to my real Papa Bear to convince him to let me get the olive one...

Thanks for dropping by! I like the 1820home.taobao.com shop a lot.

I've not bought anything from them before though. Just a caution about buying solid wood stuff on taobao - the grain pattern is variable and therefore not something you might like in the end. And secondly it's hard to tell how "solid" it is, if you know what I mean.

I bought a coffee table with a metal frame and white washed wood from taobao. The wood does not feel as solid as I'd like. But it was cheap :)

I think for big furniture purchases, try not to buy too many at a go. There is an element of risk and sometimes won't meet expectation. That's why I stuck to buying mainly powder coated metal pieces from taobao. Much less can go wrong.

Thanks Greg for the links....

Will add them to my purchase list after I've moved into the new place.. Am sourcing for contacts to buy Stainless Steel water pitcher (similar to those used in Restaurants), the ones at TOTTs are in their hundreds.. looking for cheaper alternatives on Taobao this morning but without much success

Try searching for 冷水壶

and looking for 金属 under 材质

I saw some which might be what you are looking for

If not then Sia Huat. Lol

Thank you Greg for your help in translating stainless steel water pitcher. My last resort if cannot find on Taobao - put it in my wishlist and send it out to my friends for them to buy for my house warming :notti:

Hi greg, how about glass items? i.e glass display cabinets Would those be risky as well?

Hey blackpeace, glass is obviously more risky since it can shatter upon impact. That's why third party forwarders won't insure glass items.

Though having said that, quite a few renotalkers have bought glass top coffee tables from tb. I think if the glass can be flat packed with styrofoam and thickened cardboard, can minimise risk.

So in your case, if the glass from the cabinet can be removed and flat packed, should be ok. Better specify to the third party agent to inform tb seller that the item is being shipped overseas so extra packing is necessary.

Thanks greg. I just left comfort furnishings at eunos and was like greg has this, oooh greg has that, ooh greg would love this. And my husband was like: who's greg???????

Lol!! Tell mr mellenur hi for me.

I'm not here to promote ashley madison hor :bleah:

Actually I think only the tolix chairs that I have, can be bought from comfort furnishings

Thanks greg. I just left comfort furnishings at eunos and was like greg has this, oooh greg has that, ooh greg would love this. And my husband was like: who's greg???????

Hi Greg,

Nice bachelor pad u have, it's a spacious one bedder. Just wanna check is the colour of the accent wall in your bedroom, Canadian sky? ...It has a subtle bluish tint that makes it look very nice and different from the usual grey. Does the wall look dark at night?

Thanks.

Hi Greg,

Nice bachelor pad u have, it's a spacious one bedder. Just wanna check is the colour of the accent wall in your bedroom, Canadian sky? ...It has a subtle bluish tint that makes it look very nice and different from the usual grey. Does the wall look dark at night?

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words!

The colour is gentry blue by Ici dulux. Code is 70bg 28/060.

It's more blue than grey. Not dark at all.

http://encycolorpedia.com/7f8d92

It's around 40+ intensity for the cyan.

Hi Greg, thanks for the info! I am a noob at reading the chart. If I want a slightly lighter shade, do I go to Colour Gradients and check out those colors that descends to white?

Anyway, I also like what you did with your bay window. Is it costly? Did you get from absolute outdoors faux turf or did you DIY those with fake grass decking from home-fix store? Does the turf only cover the top or it extends to the exposed sidewall the way to floor? How do you clean it? I have many many bay windows in my new home and I am thinking of ways to lay them over....wanted to lay laminates over but m concerned about sun exposure since my window will face direct morning sun. I also considered granite but costly and have a cold feel....I even thought of just leaving them bare first and see how dirty it gets.....like you, I also want to keep costs low. Dun even intend to get a contractor. I may just go directly to carpenter, electrician etc....:)

Hi Arielgal,

I will dedicate a post on colours later in the day so keep a look out for that! All I can say is that choosing colours is a very challenging task :)

About the bay window, I deliberated a lot on what to do with it. Some common alternatives were carpentry with laminate, decking, tiles (ceramic or vinyl) or granite/marble. All were not ideal and cost also tended to be on the higher side. The artificial turf is only laid on the top surface of baywindow. Does not come down the side i.e. the turf just lies on the surface of the baywindow, not mounted or anchored in any manner.

I decided on artificial turf because nowadays I noticed that they are very realistic! They have four colours, two greens of different shades, and two browns of different shades. And they also come in different heights. Also another good point is that they are meant for outdoors and much more resistant to light, unlike laminates or decking. HERF might also discolour under direct sunlight as I was told by Evorich sales people multiple times. And the problem with tiles is that the bay window edge can be seen, which is a bit unslightly in my opinion.

Unfortunately most artificial turf is sold either in very large dimensions (absolut outdoors - they don't want to entertain me unless buy large quantities) or very small dimensions (daiso or home-fix - these come in 30cm x 30xcm dimensions).

I found one called overture, which sells in minimum of 2 x 1m i.e 2 sqm at $78 dollars, self-collect. Very reasonable in my opinion. You can specify the odd shape. Mine at the baywindow was non-rectangular. And the guy will cut for you if you specify the odd dimensions before hand. His turf height is very plush and grass looks very realistic.

Anyway once I came home with it, found that I had to cut down the size slightly to fit nicely. I think he left some "buffer" just in case my measurements were incorrect. So i just used a large pen knife to do it. Very very easy - just need a steady hand. Also get the guy from overture will also teach you. He is a very nice and genuine guy who sells it from his home.

Maintenance is super easy for indoor. Sometimes get small leaves on the turf - just vacuum. If wanna clean the baywindow surface, just roll the turf then vacuum and wipe.

I also have one artificial turf outdoor. Those need drainage cells underneath it so ensure turf can drain of water and prevent algae/moss growth.

All the best in your reno! Keeping costs low while creating an expensive look is very satisfying heh

Hi Greg, thanks for the info! I am a noob at reading the chart. If I want a slightly lighter shade, do I go to Colour Gradients and check out those colors that descends to white?

Anyway, I also like what you did with your bay window. Is it costly? Did you get from absolute outdoors faux turf or did you DIY those with fake grass decking from home-fix store? Does the turf only cover the top or it extends to the exposed sidewall the way to floor? How do you clean it? I have many many bay windows in my new home and I am thinking of ways to lay them over....wanted to lay laminates over but m concerned about sun exposure since my window will face direct morning sun. I also considered granite but costly and have a cold feel....I even thought of just leaving them bare first and see how dirty it gets.....like you, I also want to keep costs low. Dun even intend to get a contractor. I may just go directly to carpenter, electrician etc.... :)

Thanks! From your description (just roll and clean the concrete bay window), does that mean the turf is like a carpet and does not stick onto window? Wow, seems like a good and nice low cost alternative to expensive bay window treatments. Thanks for the great idea.

Oh, just to add, will look out for ur post on colour selection later. It will def be of great use cos I got a headache looking at he colour chart. It has all the subtle variations but I do think getting the precise shade is important on the accent wall. Ad it's hard to visualize on colour chart. Ur wall irl is really nice, on colour chart, it looks more grayish.

Ya exactly like carpet, but without the mao mao that flies around. Heh

My baywindow is pretty high - about 1.2m height so it's like a big shelf.

For baywindows of lower height, just put a futon and it'll be a nice nook to sit in.

Thanks! From your description (just roll and clean the concrete bay window), does that mean the turf is like a carpet and does not stick onto window? Wow, seems like a good and nice low cost alternative to expensive bay window treatments. Thanks for the great idea.

Choosing colour for interior is difficult. It can dramatically change the feel of the room - and sometimes not in a good way.

Also we tend to be worried that the colour will be too dark. I've never had walls other than white so I was very concerned that I would screw up the entire look.

You usually know what "colour" you want e.g. this wall should be blue, but then you go to the paint shop and see all the shades of blue and get headache.

Especially for me, I really wanted a grey in the bedroom but there were so many greys! Carbon grey, graphite, charcoal, slate.....

Two considerations for me:

1. Will the colour make the room too dark?

2. Does the colour have some undertone e.g. blue or yellow or red which will make the room look "funny"?

I did a lot of research online and have come up with a process to determine which colour to choose. I am in no way a colour expert and not trained in this so this is completely self-taught. Now I know why there are people who are professional colour consultants because this is a really difficult job!

The answer to whether it will make the room too dark, is largely a function of how much natural light the room receives. For instance, mine has a lot of natural light because of the huge baywindow and also from the living room. If the room is quite dim e.g. relative to your living room, then don't go too dark.

How do you know the colour is too dark?

For me, my starting point was a grey that I really wanted called Kendall Charcoal by Benjamin Moore.

EncycolorpediaBMkendallcharcoal_zps94c8d

You can see in the graphic that the "key" colour (which is grey) has an intensity of close to 60%.

That means I should not go any darker than 60%.

Then I choose Dulux (or whichever paint brand you want e.g. Nippon) and it will show you the closest colour match.

Encycolorpedia2_zpsb9a60ba1.png

Encycolorpedia3_zps51418987.png

In the case of Dulux, it is Night Jewel 2.

Then look for Night Jewel 2 in encycolorpedia.

EncycolorpediaNightJewel2_zps3ca3741d.pn

In this case, you can see the intensity of Night jewel 2 is darker than Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal! i.e. this will be darker

To be continued...