Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I have recently went to the S'pore expo and got to know a renovation company. The ID was sincere and he left a good impression and shown that he was keen in doing up my flat. I've have paid $1000 "Design Fee" so he could go back and start designing to show me the drawings. After the first meet up, he show me the drawing which was not satisfactory and different from what he told us, we (and my wife) rejected the idea on the spot and he said would redo with a second meetup. The "Design Fee" was told that it was not refundable. I've seeked my friend advice and was told that there quotes was abit on the high side too. we are somehow half-hearted to let the company do the renovation. Any advice.?

Thanks in advance.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My point of view is quite negative for most IDs in the Singapore market. A lot of IDs here have no formal design training i.e. everyone is a designer these days.

Particularly those that target the mass market segment i.e. ID firms with prominent presence in Expo or other exhibitions, advertising on TV, newspapers.

The reason being is their tired designs are recycled over and over again for the same HDB flat lay-out. They just make some small variations - like tile choices, cabinet laminates.

I think the mistake here is paying a $1000 design fee so now you feel locked into continuing to engage this ID/firm because it's a sunk cost.

If the first ID drawing shown is very different from what he said it would be, I think it's high chance that this ID will not meet your expectation throughout the reno. You can try to evaluate again based on a second ID drawing but I would not be particularly hopeful.

Since the other issue is that the quote is a bit on the high side, I think it will be likely that your final bill will be higher than the quote you are seeing now. A lot of IDs will keep the initial quote low and deliberately miss out certain items in order to secure a contract. i.e top-ups needed for certain laminates, flooring (not just psf but size/type of tiles), electrical points (concealed or not), soft closing drawers/hinges etc - basically add-on costs for things you decide during the renovation but may not quoted explicitly during the initial stages.

What I'm trying to say it, give serious consideration to walking away from this ID firm and consider it school fee spent. You run a significant risk of having a rather aggravating reno experience, at a high cost, and still not meet your expectation.

Hmmm... It's a bad choice to pay the design fees first... Just keep in mind that the $1000 is already a sunk cost as greglhc said...

Good luck with your reno, my fren.

mikey

Hi Newhere,

Acutally most people or ID companies will take an initial deposit from the clients in order for the to "proceed" with any works, which includes design etc; but yours being 1000 is actually quite low, I have friends who told me they paid a deposit of 5% which amounted to nearly 4k just to see the designs which after 4 revisions are still not up to the expected standards and they eventually say there is a maximum of 3 corrections after which there is an additional charge.

Design firms will eventually waive off the charge for designing f you take their services but since you have paid 1k most people do not want to part with this amount of money and end up paying 10-15% above the market value of the renovation costs which you can get from any contractor.

Most of this design fees that are being charged are actually a load of crap, since they just re-use previous designs change the colors and move the items then this is their new "master piece". All these design ideas are actually much cheaper if you go directly to any petrol station of magazine store to buy a copy of Living Style of Homes magazine at 7 dollars each and tell the contractor this is the design you want. All designs are actually honestly most of the time your own ideas if you realise, you do the input and they just materialise it on drawings. Shouldn't they be paying you instead?

Edited by balanced

Not really worth it. See how the things go first. If really does not suits to your taste after much conflict and other arguments then rather drop off. lose 1K rather then during renovation more problems occur and that will lose more money.