Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andrew

Termite Problem - Big Or Small ?

Totally agree with you ! Guess I'll leave it to the expert ! ..... Just that it introduces another factor into the equation.....

did you manage to find a good pest control company to help kill the termites ? how much does it cost you ?

thanks

did you manage to find a good pest control company to help kill the termites ? how much does it cost you ?

thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thanks

thanks

depends on what you need to do ... suggest to get a couple of quotes and you shd know what to expect ...

We found termite infestation behind built-in cabinets on the 2nd floor of the house. Ironically, the house had a maintenance contract with Rentokil. But months before the handover, the old contract expired and the previous owner decided not to continue (for obvious reasons since he'd also sold the house to us). I asked Rentokil and was told that it's very probable for termites to move quickly during the time the house was not checked for infestation.

We undertook the soil treatment using a product by Bayer that comes with a 7 year guarantee. It was $4K. We also treated the roof beams for another $500 as a precautionary measure. For the soil treatment, it has to be done after all the floor tiles have been hacked up (A&A) and debris removed. The guys have to drill deep holes into the ground and pump the chemicals into the soil.

If your renovation does not include removal of floor tiles, then you will see holes all over the floor times even though they will be patched up by the pest control buys.

With regard to the infra-red gadget, it's called Thermatrac. An infra red machine that picks up wall movement, should there be termite infestation. It's more accurate than the surveyors knocking here and there. It's however more time consuming (more thorough actually) and expensive.

We found termite infestation behind built-in cabinets on the 2nd floor of the house. Ironically, the house had a maintenance contract with Rentokil. But months before the handover, the old contract expired and the previous owner decided not to continue (for obvious reasons since he'd also sold the house to us). I asked Rentokil and was told that it's very probable for termites to move quickly during the time the house was not checked for infestation.

We undertook the soil treatment using a product by Bayer that comes with a 7 year guarantee. It was $4K. We also treated the roof beams for another $500 as a precautionary measure. For the soil treatment, it has to be done after all the floor tiles have been hacked up (A&A) and debris removed. The guys have to drill deep holes into the ground and pump the chemicals into the soil.

If your renovation does not include removal of floor tiles, then you will see holes all over the floor times even though they will be patched up by the pest control buys.

With regard to the infra-red gadget, it's called Thermatrac. An infra red machine that picks up wall movement, should there be termite infestation. It's more accurate than the surveyors knocking here and there. It's however more time consuming (more thorough actually) and expensive.

Termite infestation is scary is it not ? Just goes to show how fast they can spread ...

$4k for the soil treatment sounds quite expensive ... did you have to do quite large an area or simply install quite a nbr of those stations/traps ...

Termite infestation is scary is it not ? Just goes to show how fast they can spread ...

$4k for the soil treatment sounds quite expensive ... did you have to do quite large an area or simply install quite a nbr of those stations/traps ...

Tell me about it! It's so d.a.r.n. expensive but if we want to reduce the risk of getting all new our cabinets and new wiring chewed up, we just have to do it, no choice.

The high cost is mainly because of the Bayer chemical that is expensive. The Rentokil guys had to drill holes against the walls and 1 foot apart all over the basement floor, and pump in litres of the chemicals to kill the termites and keep new termites at bay. It does not involve any termite stations or traps. The chemical is just injected into the soil below the house. DH said $4K for 7 years is only $47 per month.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

Tell me about it! It's so d.a.r.n. expensive but if we want to reduce the risk of getting all new our cabinets and new wiring chewed up, we just have to do it, no choice.

The high cost is mainly because of the Bayer chemical that is expensive. The Rentokil guys had to drill holes against the walls and 1 foot apart all over the basement floor, and pump in litres of the chemicals to kill the termites and keep new termites at bay. It does not involve any termite stations or traps. The chemical is just injected into the soil below the house. DH said $4K for 7 years is only $47 per month.

Oh $4K is for the entire works .... I thought you did the garden alone for $4K ... the pest control guy i used said for garden/soil will need to setup/install traps/stations at specific interval in the garden ...

Yes for tiles, they will drill holes and not sure how they will look like even after patch-up ...

Yes for tiles, they will drill holes and not sure how they will look like even after patch-up ...

I have seen pictures and I have to say, they look really bad. No doubt the holes will be patched up but it's still visible. I did my soil treatment before my main contractor started any work on the ground. The ground has just been levelled, and water proofing has just been applied on.

I have seen pictures and I have to say, they look really bad. No doubt the holes will be patched up but it's still visible. I did my soil treatment before my main contractor started any work on the ground. The ground has just been levelled, and water proofing has just been applied on.

For pple starting major renovation ... do budget in a good pest control treatment is highly advised. The work is messy but with good planning ... home-owners can get long term benefits.

For pple starting major renovation ... do budget in a good pest control treatment is highly advised. The work is messy but with good planning ... home-owners can get long term benefits.

Make sure it is written in black and white if not later will have problem with the contractor.

Make sure it is written in black and white if not later will have problem with the contractor.

Why should this concern one's contractor? When homeowners engage pest control, it's their own cost and the contract is with the homeowners directly.

Why should this concern one's contractor? When homeowners engage pest control, it's their own cost and the contract is with the homeowners directly.

It depends on the contractor that get the job whether they include pest control in their tender application to the owner.

Some contractor will just say that they will do this and that but not in written form when tendering for the project.

If the owner engage pest control by themselves then it shouldn't be a problem.

It depends on the contractor that get the job whether they include pest control in their tender application to the owner.

Some contractor will just say that they will do this and that but not in written form when tendering for the project.

If the owner engage pest control by themselves then it shouldn't be a problem.

ok - i was refering to owner engaging pest control coy .. i rather do it myself than leave to main con as I doubt if it will be properly done for the price ... and there shd be written black and white warranty ...

Is this thread still active? I found the door in my common toilet has termite. I didn't know that it is so costly to get rid of those tiny animals. Please help... If there is the way to get rid of it by DIY method?

Is this thread still active? I found the door in my common toilet has termite. I didn't know that it is so costly to get rid of those tiny animals. Please help... If there is the way to get rid of it by DIY method?

if termite, don't DIY

Get expert to do the job.

And fast. Don't wait until the termite move to your other wood furniture.