Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ProjectH

Happy Couple Decorates: A House, Not Yet A Home

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Your friend and I considered hiring a professional clean up crew to clean up the house post reno, especially since we need to bring our brothers & sisters down to the new house for some Chinese customs on the day of the wedding.

however, one look at our bank accounts and we've decided to take leave and clean the house ourselves.

ask ur xd and jm to help! hahaha .. :good:

to be honest, i would suggest you to engage professional help because of the rush to move in for the wedding date ... and you want to be chill and relax for ur wedding day .. it should be facial, mani n pedi time and not cleaning up time!

ask ur xd and jm to help! hahaha .. :good:

to be honest, i would suggest you to engage professional help because of the rush to move in for the wedding date ... and you want to be chill and relax for ur wedding day .. it should be facial, mani n pedi time and not cleaning up time!

hahahaha

you're right!

i've already made my facial, mani & pedi appointments

so since i'm busy with these appointments, guess who has to continue cleaning on his own? *wink*

hahahaha

you're right!

i've already made my facial, mani & pedi appointments

so since i'm busy with these appointments, guess who has to continue cleaning on his own? *wink*

haha... yah ... bully him to do the cleaning! Your job is to look pretty... Who cares how the groom looks? haha

Hi Vi,

Sorry, hijack ur thread awhile. Just to share my experience under Alan.

My reno started 10 Oct and it been smooth sailing. The workers are fast and their workmanship are good. Except for the lack of updates and supervision, we were generally happy with Alan and full of praises for the fast progress and neat laying of kitchen tiles. Due to the lack of update, everyday is a day of surprise for us, full of expectation on what awhile us at the unit when we off work to steal a peep at the new house.

However, today we were met with ... DISASTER! The floor tiles for the living room (and maybe rooms) are laid wrongly. I am 100% sure it's all a miscommunication. There were some exchange of heated msgs when Alan insisted he done it correctly while we were pretty sure we gestured to Alan several time on the layout of the tiles. Anyway, he said he will redo for us. To be objective, at least Alan agreed to rectify, which is a plus point for him. However, the way he responded shld be improved on.

A lesson learnt... like what Makanology and jaykr advised, constant supervision is required if we have specific design or big scale reno. Generally, today incident aside, we are quite pleased with the workmanship and progress so far. Hopefully today incident will not affect the remaining renovation. However, from now on, I will leave all the liaising with Alan to my SO who has a better EQ than me.

For these who are interested in engaging Alan, to be fair, I believe Alan is able to deliver quality work, but it will require proactive supervision on the owner's part. Most importantly, please have everything in black and white.

Hi Vi,

Sorry, hijack ur thread awhile. Just to share my experience under Alan.

My reno started 10 Oct and it been smooth sailing. The workers are fast and their workmanship are good. Except for the lack of updates and supervision, we were generally happy with Alan and full of praises for the fast progress and neat laying of kitchen tiles. Due to the lack of update, everyday is a day of surprise for us, full of expectation on what awhile us at the unit when we off work to steal a peep at the new house.

However, today we were met with ... DISASTER! The floor tiles for the living room (and maybe rooms) are laid wrongly. I am 100% sure it's all a miscommunication. There were some exchange of heated msgs when Alan insisted he done it correctly while we were pretty sure we gestured to Alan several time on the layout of the tiles. Anyway, he said he will redo for us. To be objective, at least Alan agreed to rectify, which is a plus point for him. However, the way he responded shld be improved on.

A lesson learnt... like what Makanology and jaykr advised, constant supervision is required if we have specific design or big scale reno. Generally, today incident aside, we are quite pleased with the workmanship and progress so far. Hopefully today incident will not affect the remaining renovation. However, from now on, I will leave all the liaising with Alan to my SO who has a better EQ than me.

For these who are interested in engaging Alan, to be fair, I believe Alan is able to deliver quality work, but it will require proactive supervision on the owner's part. Most importantly, please have everything in black and white.

oh dear. luckily he offered to rectify. Any photos of why it was done wrongly?

Guess I will have to take leave next week when the bulk of electricty and carpentry are been installed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Heard from Alan your unit will be completed soon. Luckily your reno progress much smoother than us.

It was too dark for photos plus we can't go into the house due to wet work. The floor tiles for the whole unit are to be laid vertically from windows. They got the kitchen floor tiles right and nicely last sat. However, floor tiles for the remaining areas are laid horizontally today. Alan insisted they were right but will redo for us. haiz... shld have go supervise this afternoon on the tile laying, we see no need for this as we expected they will follow the kitchen floor tiles layout.

oh dear. luckily he offered to rectify. Any photos of why it was done wrongly?

Guess I will have to take leave next week when the bulk of electricty and carpentry are been installed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Heard from Alan your unit will be completed soon. Luckily your reno progress much smoother than us.

It was too dark for photos plus we can't go into the house due to wet work. The floor tiles for the whole unit are to be laid vertworically from windows. They got the kitchen floor tiles right and nicely last sat. However, floor tiles for the remaining areas are laid horizontally today. Alan insisted they were right but will redo for us. haiz... shld have go supervise this afternoon on the tile laying, we see no need for this as we expected they will follow the kitchen floor tiles layout.

I started my reno earlier than you wor .. Maybe anor three weeks to completion? My fault for one week delay coz I order TB stuff late. & honestly my reno is very simple and not much work to be done. But major stuff still not done so fingers (& toes) cross it will remain smooth sailing.

Good luck to both of us!

So how you find their workmanship so far? Did you manage to get Ah Meng for the tiling?

I still haven't start my TB shopping, going expect some delay too... am going to leave Alan to the man so that I can focus on TB shopping. haha

Anyone uses warm lighting in kitchen? Or is there any white lights that dun look too 'operating theatre'? Any advise anyone? Cheers! :)

also a fan of warm light...but i have both warm and white light in the kitchen...white light when cleaning and cooking...rest of the time, i am using warm lighting...hth

also a fan of warm light...but i have both warm and white light in the kitchen...white light when cleaning and cooking...rest of the time, i am using warm lighting...hth

Hi dear,

your kitchen is a inspiration. Was reading your blog a min ago! Hmm ... i m assuming ur pendant lights are white and warm lights are from which source?

Hi ProjectH,

This is all depends on you. In my kitchen, I have two types of lighting. one is bright white light using Philips T8 extra bright tube light. This is an essential need for cooking , baking , storage , cleaning etc...etc.... Warm light does not help for this practical purpose.

Another type of light I have is a hanging pendant light ( warm light), this is more for sitting at the table in the kitchen and enjoying the food and relaxing with a cup of coffee as well as to add aesthetics to the kitchen. You can look at the pics in my tblog.

My advice is to look at how you are going to use the kitchen and design accordingly. If you do a lot of cooking or spent a lot of time in the kitchen , it is best to have bright white light to help see well .

Hope this helps.

Anyone uses warm lighting in kitchen? Or is there any white lights that dun look too 'operating theatre'? Any advise anyone? Cheers! :)