Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Why PM?? Good reviews should be public. Bad reviews should also be public, the contractor can also have a chance to sound out his side of the story.

Worst case if a competitor pose as house owner and start pming members that other firm cheat them etc, the other firm cannot defend thrmselves cos they were not privy to the PMs.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Why PM?? Good reviews should be public. Bad reviews should also be public, the contractor can also have a chance to sound out his side of the story.

Worst case if a competitor pose as house owner and start pming members that other firm cheat them etc, the other firm cannot defend thrmselves cos they were not privy to the PMs.

Totally agree.

sometimes, i see the forum also like, " i use this contractor, show the result before and after"

however why not just directly share it instead of PM?

do renotalk forbid us to do so?

why the hassle have to PM people 1 by 1?

im starting my reno for resales soon... can anyone share any tips to look out for hidden cost & contract clause etc? ...

Totally agree.

sometimes, i see the forum also like, " i use this contractor, show the result before and after"

however why not just directly share it instead of PM?

do renotalk forbid us to do so?

why the hassle have to PM people 1 by 1?

Totally agree.

Try to imagine and you're the lucky one who strike the TOTO.

Should just list out the company name of the ID/Contractor here.

• Like 3

I have done up some information for tips for reading. hope these will help those who are looking for contractor/ID

Topic 4

How to prevent getting cheated and scammed by contractors/ID

Recently I read about many of the scams and cheats in this industry. Why is that so? Because it is simple for them to open and close down companies without having the need of being sued. The amount for a customer to be cheated of during renovation scams hardly to be above hundred of thousands per person. Therefore, going through all the civil proceedings will waste even more money on the victim’s side and there is no guarantee that he/she may get back the amount. Then, the culprit goes off scott free!

I feel the need of giving advices on prevention of getting into this kind of scenario.

1. Reviewing the contractor/ID’s reputation

This might not be 100% accurate because there are some firms who advertise themselves. but for sure, those who advertise themselves but doesn’t deliver as promised will have their bad reviews coming by. Keep the minds open and even if you see bad reviews, do contact the home owner to get more facts. And on the other hand, you can get more info from the good ones as well.

2. Research on HDB and ACRA

If you are renovating your Hdb, be very sure that the company is a licensed hdb contractor. most importantly, the contract which you are going to sign bear the letter head of the hub registered one instead of some other names. They will usually say that it is due to GST etc. Although there are those who are really sincere in business but just to be on the safe side. ACRA search is one of the important one as well, give it a search and screen through the company address and make sure it is valid. If at any point of time now you feel something is not right, I will suggest getting another contractor/ID. Because better to be safe than sorry.

3. Ask for showrooms/ reno in progress flats

Do ask the contractor/ID if there are any REAL showrooms instead of those in the office etc. look for projects the company done before. and also current ones. where you can see that the company is really into business. If possible, ask for a timing where the owner is in to research more on the firm. I will recommend minimum 2 showroom flats to view and one of it have to be going to complete or just completed. when you are at on-going sites, be sure to find the renovation permit from HDB to double confirm their license as well

4. Be alert

Be alert in the payment progress. Do not give much more than what you see in your house. there is no fix rule for this because different quotations works differently. If you stay alert, you will have better control of your money. even if the company winds down, you do not lose the maximum.

Some might wonder why I did not recommend for checking on RADAC, CASE etc. Because no matter how many prizes, trophies or accreditation the company have, it only help to the minimal when there are problems arising. To prevent ourselves being a victim, we have to know if the company is a true and operating for legal profits through hardwork and sales. HDB licensed contractor will be a safer one because to become one, they will have to submit invoices of minimum $50k to support and also to be in the business for minimum of 1 year. HDB will then contact the various house owners for feedback before grant.

The most important is that when you sign the contract, there should be no room for doubts. All questions should be cleared by then. of course sometimes we are so unlucky when all things seems to be alright and yet suddenly the company shut down. I have seen a few friends in this line whose business are good but due to some unforeseen factors, they are forced to close. but they are not cheaters or scammers, it is pure business failure. Feel free to ask if you have any questions! I might not be free everyday but i will try my best to reply.

I hope all these tips will be useful for home owners and fellow forummers :yamseng:

• Like 1

My personal viewpoint, my photos are reserved for the small claims tribunal.

My id company is lousy. Suppose to do 1 kitchen and 2 bathrooms within a month and give an allowance to 1.5 months (Till 25 Aug 2013). The id either unable to manage his workers or cant rebothered about it. So up till today, its till an unfinished project with disputes

One of my heater got problem after installation. The master heater was ok and the common heater had problem. My ID text me saying that my heater spoilt. I ask him, are you sure. He replied that after his plumber installed, he asked his electrician to come test the electricity and no issue. So I asked him what am I suppose to do. I asked him whether he can take it down and I bring it to the shop (I didn't buy the heater from his recommended shop as its twice the price there) and then he put it up for me. My ID said that he only put one once. So I had to call my heater company to ask their peeps to come down. Ariston engineer came and was laughing his head off - ah di , your contractor stupid is it, in and out also never put properly. Put opposite. So there waste half a day of freaking leave for me.

My custom made kitchen cabinets, were of worse quality than off the shelves, with the laminate edges jagged and poorly formed. They refused to change it at first and got their carpenter down to touch up a few times. I barred my flat recently so the last two times the carpenter came down, I was present. The first time, there were no visible difference to kitchen cabinets and drawers. Their carpenter went off happily and just walk past me and say finished already before I can say anything.

The 2nd time, the carpenter brought another younger colleague down and was suppose to "change" the laminate, there was another contractor who came to varnish the doors. The varnish contractor was waiting for me whileas the carpenters came slightly late. The carpenters came in for an hour or so, broke for lunch for about 2 hours plus and returned, whileas the door varnish carpenter was an external contractor employed by them, stayed throughout the lunch time to complete his job before going to take his lunch.

The carpenters to my horror, touch up my dark brown cabinets and drawers, with kindof green stuff. So my cabinets and drawers were greenish in colour at the corners. I called my ID to tell him, and I had to wait for 2 plus hours for him to come and view.

Furthermore, their workers walk from my master bedroom toilet to the living room when their boots are covered with cement. So my broken marble flooring had cement stains from the toilet entrance to the living room. Not only stains, but my broken marble flooring was scratched and had holes in it.

Be wary if you take this company IDs. PM me if you want their company and names. 3 big companies but 2 are subsidiaries with one main. My company is one of their subsidiary. So even when people say chose big company sure no problem, its like freaking ****.

Hi, Could you PM this ID and the company to avoid. Thank you !

Also in search of a good (reliable and decently quoting) Id/contractor now. Would appreciate it if you could share the bad apple list too.