Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
saglaia

A 3-Room Resale, Simply Mine...

Hi everyone

I'm Sam. I actually wanted to start a wordpress blog but after being introduced to RT, I've decided to "give back" by sharing my journey here. Yes, I've been lurking around RT for some time now and really enjoyed reading every entry. Most of you are really funny!

This August marks a new chapter of my life. I've decided to exercise my citizen's right by owning a HDB flat! My search brief to my agent is very simple - 3-room but cannot be smaller than 60 sqm, that there must be a straight bus to Shenton Way where my office is cos I've totally given up on our mrt system but the bus journey should not take more than 30 mins. With these criteriia, the search radius is very much narrowed.

I began my search 1 month before my birthday and my agent's words still ringed in my ears "don't get disappointed when the unit you fancy get sold" I took it very lightly then but I've come to appreciate what she was trying to do - manage my expectation. You see, by starting the search before my birthday, I can't make an offer even if I can afford it. And true enough, there were a couple of units that I really liked but they slipped through my fingers and I couldn't do anything about it... so my heart did drop a little when it happened. 1 was in Telok Blangah area, top floor corner unit. The living room looks out to Hort Park while the kitchen has unblocked view of Mt Faber! I could already visualize me having wine in the kitchen every Sunday evening, taking in the view. Most importantly it was reasonably priced. The 2nd one was in Farrer Park vicinity, top floor unit as well and the 2 bedrooms have higher than usual ceiling - we estimated it to be more than 3.5m! When I was there, my mind went into overdrive - the dream of true loft living can finally come true! Imagine all the possibilities with those high high ceiling. Alas, they are really good units so they got sold really quickly.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I kept the viewings to weekend only due to my unforgiving work schedule. I enjoyed the entire process - we could view up to 8 during one weekend. I struck gold on the second weekend. There was this one that I like enough to get my agent to register my interest. And then the fun bit began - negotiation. Though the market has cooled a little (just a wee bit) due to the many rounds of cooling measures - it's still very much a seller's market. So credit to my agent, she really did a good job to bring the cov down to a more realistic level. So, yah, I was ready to "close the deal" but it's just verbal cos there's still a week to my birthday. On the eve of birthday, first thing in the morning, a Straits Times headline caught my attention. The Housing Board has further tightened rules on mortgages in the resale market. Wah, I panicked a little. First thing I did was to text my agent, instructing her to nego the cov down further cos every dollar saved will go a long way. That morning was a blur - I only remember there was a flurry of messages between me, agent and banker. The sellers weren't willing to budge at first so my instruction was very clear - call the deal off. The afternoon followed with more exchange of messages. Think my agent also gancheong cos mine was almost a done deal and thanks to govt, she probably couldn't close it now.

Anyway, it was really exciting - there was a rush of adrenaline every time a message comes in. So after a day of nego, I was extremely pleased with the final offer. When I told my friends, they said "Wah! Great Singapore Sale ah" So yeah, the final cov is 70% less than what the sellers were looking for at the start. Everyone was so eager to seal the deal that they wanted me to sign the OTP asap. So, the next day, I had to postpone my birthday dinner to sign paper.

Here is the floor plan.

floorplan_zps20e86fce.jpg

The unit is 26y.o and pretty much in original condition, so it'll need major works. I won't be engaging an ID due to budget constraint, so the renovator/contractor plays a critical role. 2 weeks have since passed since I exercised the OTP and I've met 4. They are mainly colleagues and family's recommendation. Due to the nature of the industry I'm in, colleagues and I pay a lot of attention to details. To us, it's in the details, It's the finishing that matters. So, when they make a recommendation, I trust them.

Sounds exciting especially the morning part with all the message exchange. Glad to hear of victory. where is your 3 roomer?

It was, Makanology. Once in a lifetime experience! It's central area of Singapore, under Moulmein-Kallang GRC.

So, can't afford an ID, I'll play designer. Deep inside, I'm a designer-wannabe :D I've been doing my homework online and been keeping an inspiration board. Just to share with everyone, here are a few pinterest boards that I follow and love what I see. Really hope I can achieve something similar with mine.

http://www.pinterest.com/mgrim/

http://www.pinterest.com/caitlinflemming/home/

http://www.pinterest.com/vpsarah/

And there are some really good resources online. These ones I read every day.

http://www.remodelista.com

http://www.designsponge.com/

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

Apartment Therapy ran a Small Cool contest back in May - it features the smallest coolest homes around the world. It's a good source for ideas since majority of us live in apartments. The International Winner this year hails from this very red dot! Felt really proud though I don't know the owner personally.

51824db0fb04d662d8000201_w540__zps1266b5

Carmen's was also featured in local magazine and newspaper.

Hi Sam, congrats on getting ur own flat, & welcome to the 3-roomers' club & to RT! :yamseng:

Ur 3-rm layout is not the more common ones that we've seen ard, although all are abt the same age (20-30 y.o; mine's abt 28 y.o when I bou it last year).

Looking forward to ur updates & pics! :)

PS. Care to share which area of Moulmein-Kallang (my guess is Whampoa or St George area.. hee hee)? Mine's not too far away.. still an opposition state before GE2011.. :P