Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
snowblind

A Long Wait For The West

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Quite a few happenings in the past few days.

Got my gas heater installed but the $650 quoted for the water pipe installation still seems abit steep for me.

10533134643_6bd60b0827_c.jpg

Dropped by Soon Bee Huat to pick out my tiles. Shocked my father when I showed all the black tiles my wife and I picked up. Ignore the orange/gold and brown/gray tiles. Those have been rejected. Waiting for the contractor to get back on the price of the tiles.

10533144883_acb780f4ec_c.jpg

Have ordered ard 1.3k worth of items from taobao and should be receiving them mid nov. Got another 900+ of items lined up to be ordered as well. Made a mistake when I bought a sink tap which might be too long at almost 70cm when installed. Forgot to check the dimensions when I ordered and its on the way already. But considering that most of my stuffs were ordered without knowing the dimensions, only this have been wrong and can't be exchanged. Anyone want to buy this? Think it cost ard 90 bucks.

10533180914_17c7cb91a0_c.jpg

I purchased my furniture in jb and there is a curtain and wallpaper shop just beside. They come to sg for free quotation and installation on sunday. Got quoted 1k for whole house curtain and installation as well. Can't comment on the workmanship as nothing installed yet.

The Singapore number is 86795379. The shop is at tebrau tesco 2nd level. Take note I have no idea how their workmanship is. Tell them you got the contact from indian couple at boon lay side. Ask for discount......and tell them to give me discount also.

Their quote for curtain for whole house was rm2000. Will this be consider cheap?

Hi, can you share the contact for the curtain shop? Thanks.

In my quest for curtains for my house I learned a lot of things. The cost of curtains can be very cheap or expensive depending on many factors .

1. Material type - There are so many types of material that you can choose from. Each material has a different cost depending on the material it is made from. pure and not pure materials. e.g. Pure cotton, nylon, polyester etc... or mixed 60% polyester 40 cotton , Organza? etc....

2 Country of production - Which country is the curtain materials made from? China? Korea? Taiwan? Turkey? Belgium? Spain? etc... Each country also has price difference and material look and feel difference, durability, weight, transparency etc... Even within China there is high quality and low quality material .

3. Design of material - Does the curtain material have any designs or is it just plain ? Is the design burned it or not? all these adds to the cost.

4. What type of curtain design are you looking for? Eyelet ? with toning? borders? pencil pleat? depending on the design you choose it can cheaper or expensive,

5. Material usage - How many different designs , colors , toning, borders etc... are you using for your curtains for the whole house? If the material is all the same, it would be cheaper if the material is all the same. If it is different you would definitely have wastage that would add up to the cost.

6. Types of curtain needed- Day only? Day & Night? Black out or not? Full length or half? etc....

7. Track type - Rails? Rods? Double? Single? - Are you using wooden rods or rails? Design style? Double wooden , extended non extended. There are cheap and expensive ones.

8. Accessories - Valances, trimming, tails, tassel etc.... There are cheap ones and expensive ones.

9. Finally the height and width of the area you want to install curtains.

All these add to the cost of curtains . So whether you got a good deal or not depends on these factors.

So review your curtain details and you will be able to find out if the cost is high or low.

One other thing, you really need to be aware off is after sales services. How is the after sales service , because you will often need more than one curtain and if there are issues later, you should be able rely on them to help you fix it often at no extra charge if it's a small thing or its their material fault.

Hope these help you.

Later.

The Singapore number is 86795379. The shop is at tebrau tesco 2nd level. Take note I have no idea how their workmanship is. Tell them you got the contact from indian couple at boon lay side. Ask for discount......and tell them to give me discount also.

Their quote for curtain for whole house was rm2000. Will this be consider cheap?

Hi,

I purchased my furniture and curtain from Malaysia too. Any particular shop you went to purchase your furniture from?

Also, after looking at many places for curtains, I finally got it from a curtain shop my cousin made from for his house from Johor.

Not all shops in Johor are cheap , they can be quite expensive.

However, after evaluating everything , I got it from cousins curtain maker in Johor as I seen the curtain in my cousins place for the last 5 years and the after sales service.

I purchased my furniture in jb and there is a curtain and wallpaper shop just beside. They come to sg for free quotation and installation on sunday. Got quoted 1k for whole house curtain and installation as well. Can't comment on the workmanship as nothing installed yet.

Say, out of curiosity, may I ask how did you order from taobao as it is written in mandarin? Do you know the language too??

I wanted to buy from there but cannot understand the language so didn't ...got them from J.B & Singapore. Singapore is sometimes cheaper than J.B. for some items.

Have ordered ard 1.3k worth of items from taobao and should be receiving them mid nov. Got another 900+ of items lined up to be ordered as well. Made a mistake when I bought a sink tap which might be too long at almost 70cm when installed. Forgot to check the dimensions when I ordered and its on the way already. But considering that most of my stuffs were ordered without knowing the dimensions, only this have been wrong and can't be exchanged. Anyone want to buy this? Think it cost ard 90 bucks.

10533180914_17c7cb91a0_c.jpg

I will cover 3 items.

1. Curtains- the only reason I'm even vaguely interested in curtains is because I hated my current house design of the rails and metal pins. Since my wife says she wants curtain poles, I got abit interested since I will have to put the curtains. The jb guy quote pf rm2k include day and night curtain of 70% for hall, then 3 day sets for the room including rail installation which I wun take. My poles are from taobao, cost about 200+. A shop in toa payoh told me 1k for whole house.

2. JB furniture- I went thru alot of forum and went jb to recce. The thing which made me uncomfortable was the full payment needed to be made before delivery. So my wife and I made our last round to tesco tebrau before giving on jb. Found one shop which had things at our price range, the salesgal was friendly and full payment is when items are delivered. My deposit is 500 for 5k worth of stuff.

3. Taobao- I use chrome browser which auto translate. I dun have a car and can't understand malay either. So I gambled on taobao which supported by many in the forum.

I am gambling alot of the stuff which I read in various forums. Jb furniture, taobao electrical and plumbing stuff. Lets see how it turns out.

Hi, snowblind, me too - and my bets are bigger. I am going to gamble on buying big items like sofa set n dining set from TaoBao ! Still trying to figure out how to buy from Taobao now.

I would have tried the sofa and dining set if I had done earlier. Righy now, I'm packing lights, taps, vanity cabinets and taps in my first order. 2nd order is coffeetable chairs carpets and etc. You can try peeka or look in hwz forums. Got a few guys doing ordering. Mine is from there.

Guys, if help is needed for TB and Tmall, perhaps you can try posting here for help and translation.

I believe fellow forumers are more than willing to lend a hand.