Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

When I last checked, the next switch I could find after the 8-port switch was the 24-port switch, which was much bigger in size. I bought two of the 8-port switches after the salesgirl told me I could connect them in parallel and they will work like a 14-port switch (one port each being used to connect the two) but when I tried, some devices (the IP cameras) would fail. Now, I just use one of the 8-port switch plus the 4 ports on the RG.

If you are attempting to connect two switches together directly, I think you will need to use a crossover cable instead of the normal cables (straight cable).

http://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/cat6a-cable-assemblies/6116498/

http://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/cat6a-cable-assemblies/6116533/

Edited by reezaelias

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If you are attempting to connect two switches together directly, I think you will need to use a crossover cable instead of the normal cables (straight cable).

http://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/cat6a-cable-assemblies/6116498/

http://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/cat6a-cable-assemblies/6116533/

Thanks. But I was told that nowadays, the switches are intelligent and will "switch" accordingly.

Edited by kstoh

Crimping RJ45 Connector

I discovered the cause of the speed drop from 200Mbps to 100Mbps in one room. I checked all the cables and found the RJ45 connector (at the router end) for this room looked different. The electrician crimped the connector wrongly.

23678077210_ddb35abc20.jpg

23769046120_867bf4496a.jpg

The brown/white (7) and brown (8) cables were reversed!

Edited by kstoh

Armed with a crimping tool, some RJ45 connectors bought from Sim Lim, and after watching a Youtube video, I tried to replace the connector.

23696894269_35069a483f.jpg

I failed 3 times before I succeeded on the 4th attempt:

First time, while stripping the cable, i accidentally cut away one pair of wires completely.

Second time, after stripping the cable, I discovered one wire was dangling loose (had been cut)

Third time, I cut the wires neatly and managed to crimp the connector. But there was no internet connection! I discovered subsequently to my horror that I had put the Blue pair in 3/4 and the Green pair in 5/6 but actually the Green pair should be in 3/6 while the Blue pair should be in 4/5.

24066212115_0502f193c8.jpg

I changed it.

23769045640_0f46400eb8.jpg

And Bingo !

23769046400_8c9ff2a565.jpg

I do not get 200Mbps on my iPhone all the time but I do get this speed on my MacBook if I use a wired connection.

Edited by kstoh

I discovered two other places where my speed was stuck at 100Mbps even though the speed at the wall network point was 200Mbps.

In my hall, I realised that the cable connecting my Gigabit switch to the wall network point was an old Cat 5 cable, with only 4 wires (1, 2, 3 & 6) and therefore capable of supporting speeds up to 100Mbps only! No wonder the speed was being throttled at 100Mbps. You guys should check all your wires to ensure that they are at least Cat 5e and above, Cat 6 preferable. Apparently, Cat 5 labelled cables manufactured in recent years also meet Cat 5e specifications but they have just not been tested or certified as such.

24064728615_53477ff8da.jpg

In another room, I had used an old Buffalo WCR-HP-GN router as an access point. I did not realise that the maximum transmission rate for the Wired LAN Interface for this router is only 100Mbps.

23992121191_cff05e2bd7.jpg

Really, your network speed is only as fast as your weakest link!

Edited by kstoh

wow.. so cool ! Unfortunately no coffee poop for you?

Starting soon. Do you want to place an order? I am told it is $30 a cup at Blue Mountain Cafe @313 Somerset. I am willing to give 20% to all RenoTalk users here.

24311425471_2a6e5d89bf.jpg

Edited by Ks Toh

Lol Toh's kopi luwak!!!

I bought from the coffee factory at balestier road before, cost about $6 a cup to brew at home.

This place has exciting gourmet beans at very attractice price that the second generation boss in his 40s roast once to twice a week in the shop. My Nespresso coffee machine been collecting dust since my Aussie friend told me about this shop

Lol Toh's kopi luwak!!!

I bought from the coffee factory at balestier road before, cost about $6 a cup to brew at home.

This place has exciting gourmet beans at very attractice price that the second generation boss in his 40s roast once to twice a week in the shop. My Nespresso coffee machine been collecting dust since my Aussie friend told me about this shop

Share share address!! COFFEE!!!!!!!!

Share share address!! COFFEE!!!!!!!!

Its at 328 Balestier Road

This coffee roaster started in 1959 and is well known for it's Nangyang coffee which it still sells today along with the gourmet coffee beans from all over the world that the son started selling few years ago.

http://www.jenniferteophotography.com/thats-life-blog/enticing-kopi-aroma-that-fills-the-rich-history-lam-yeo-coffee-powder-factory-in-singapore

KStoh, I am keen on the vertical garden that you have at home but I don't particularly have green thumb and also afraid of creepy crawlies but I like greenery. Would you still advise for me to have it at home?

The place I am look at also don't have direct sunlight

DIY Sub-Irrigation System for Indoor Plants

Plants are great indoors. Apart from making the place look nice, it has been claimed that some plants can help clean the air and beat the haze. No idea true or not. I guess all plants can help to clean the air to a certain extent.

18080132125_6a50742a84_z.jpg

However, most people encounter the following problems with indoor plants:

1. Difficulty in deciding when to water and how much to water

2. Troublesome to deal with the excess water that flows out from the pot

The solution is the sub-irrigation system, sometimes called the self-watering or self-draining pot. You can purchase them from most nurseries.

14083486418_0ba99a3508_b.jpg

The water is totally contained within the pot. It does not drain out. There is a indicator that tells you the water level. If the indicator falls below the "min" mark, you just add water to bring it to somewhere between "min" and "max".

You can buy such systems from most nurseries. This is the Lechuza AIO Cubico Cottage 30 (White) Pot which I purchased previously, planted with a Philodendron 'Imperial Green' (Common Name: Luck Pair Plant).

16940051303_229939f6b9_o.jpg

17560402185_4c301bc268_z.jpg

17722548095_e5fb1351ef_z.jpg

However, these systems are not cheap. This pot alone cost about $180. Furthermore, they come in standard shape, size and colour. You may want something different.

Interesting DIY self-draining pot. Does it work? Gg to try out on a big indoor plant pot if it does :)

KStoh, I am keen on the vertical garden that you have at home but I don't particularly have green thumb and also afraid of creepy crawlies but I like greenery. Would you still advise for me to have it at home?

The place I am look at also don't have direct sunlight

The vertical garden needs a water source (at the top) and discharge (at the bottom). It also needs sunlight. If there is insufficient sunlight, you need to install and turn artificial lights during the day. It needs maintenance (cut away dried leaves, replace plants that died, pruning, add fertiliser etc) every one or two weeks. I also spray pesticide to control creepy crawlies. I regard it as one of the best features in my house. However, it is probably not a good idea to do it unless you are ready.

Interesting DIY self-draining pot. Does it work? Gg to try out on a big indoor plant pot if it does :)

Yes, all my DIY self-irrigation potted plants are still thriving. But you may want to start with a small pot, like the one on my TV console before moving to bigger pots.

Okay :) will try it on a wine crate. Gg to try planting herbs with the help of a friend

Do you know where to get herbs seeds besides ordering online?