Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi hi

I will most likely order the seeds from one of these sites:

http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/hyproponics-vegetable-herb-flowering-plant-seeds.html

http://www.smallspacesprouts.com/

I Went to a grow-your-own farm land AT Bt panjang on Sunday after I Googled, but they only have vegetables. A couple who was there said they bought the GYO kit from bugis. Will try with seeds first, cheaper and my ang mo friend has green fingers :)

Edited by sarah833

Herb Garden

I did start a herb garden. But partly due to lack of care, I have kind of given up. The following are some pictures I took shortly after I started the herb garden. I will insert the names of the plants when I remember.

24453441796_f17cd1499c.jpg

Pandan

24453441026_a3692ea479.jpg

Lime

24184074560_87274abb03.jpg

Baby Tomatoes?

24184075630_8ffc063341.jpg

Chillies?

24111883559_7d5d017922.jpg

Curry

23852838053_16b3882387.jpg

24371348962_c4740787cd.jpg

24397229691_58b0173334.jpg

Mint?

23851453524_f96d866907.jpg

Lemon Grass?

24397232071_690f0ba80a.jpg

Basil

Truth be told, most of them have died. Or I removed them, leaving only the Pandan and the Lime. The Curry plant grew too tall.

I cannot remember where I bought them. But I know World Farm @Bah Soon Pah Rd sells a number of such plants. Some herbs I may have bought off the supermarket shelf.

Edited by Ks Toh

Thanks for information! I am sure I am not ready for this :0 That said, I am happy to have my own herb plant which is the basil and mnt which i used regularly for my cooking!

The vertical garden needs a water source (at the top) and discharge (at the bottom). It also needs sunlight. If there is insufficient sunlight, you need to install and turn artificial lights during the day. It needs maintenance (cut away dried leaves, replace plants that died, pruning, add fertiliser etc) every one or two weeks. I also spray pesticide to control creepy crawlies. I regard it as one of the best features in my house. However, it is probably not a good idea to do it unless you are ready.

Yes, all my DIY self-irrigation potted plants are still thriving. But you may want to start with a small pot, like the one on my TV console before moving to bigger pots.

These days, I find sponsored adverts popping up on my Facebook feed. But one article caught my attention. Those of you who are considering between gas and electric water heaters may want to take a look.

Gas v Electric Water Storage Heaters in Singapore

I always use Electric Water Storage Heaters but had assumed that the running cost for gas heaters will be cheaper. However, according to this article, electric water storage heaters are actually cheaper to install, run and maintain, at least in Singapore. However, do note that this article is by a electric water heater maker, so it might be biased.

24135047894_868e4dcac0.jpg

The article also contains links to some other articles which have about the same conclusion.

HI KS

i find this forum very informative and it's really so nice of you to share so much information.  I'm particularly keen to know how you affix the led lights on top of dining cabinets.  Is it bright enough to illuminate a 120sqf room without any down lights?  I'm exploring installing these lights on top of the top hung book shelves in my kids' room.  Thank So!

On 2 February 2016 at 10:03 AM, Ks Toh said:

These days, I find sponsored adverts popping up on my Facebook feed. But one article caught my attention. Those of you who are considering between gas and electric water heaters may want to take a look.

Gas v Electric Water Storage Heaters in Singapore

I always use Electric Water Storage Heaters but had assumed that the running cost for gas heaters will be cheaper. However, according to this article, electric water storage heaters are actually cheaper to install, run and maintain, at least in Singapore. However, do note that this article is by a electric water heater maker, so it might be biased.

24135047894_868e4dcac0.jpg

The article also contains links to some other articles which have about the same conclusion.

I do think it's slightly biased. My gas heater bills are significantly lower than my friends using storage or instant heater, and I have a bathtub. 

On 20 May 2016 at 8:40 PM, Lmarianne58 said:

HI KS

i find this forum very informative and it's really so nice of you to share so much information.  I'm particularly keen to know how you affix the led lights on top of dining cabinets.  Is it bright enough to illuminate a 120sqf room without any down lights?  I'm exploring installing these lights on top of the top hung book shelves in my kids' room.  Thank So!

Hi

Apologies for the late reply as I have not been back to this forum for some time. I used Phlips LED strip lighting for the top of my dining cabinets. It is not bright enough for the place. It is more for ambience only. But for my rooms, I used T5 flourescent tubes as cove lights for either 3 or all 4 sides of the rooms and it is bright enough. But for study, you better have a study lamp in addition to the cove lights as that is for general lighting only.

Parrot Flew into my House

Two weeks ago, there was another intruder in my house. A flying animal a little longer than 2 feet.

First, she decided to take a sip from my koi pond.

28472656736_8e85616b96.jpg

Then she decided to make my vertical garden her home.

28221132440_e95a8a8738.jpg

27888902513_fa40286b12.jpg

27888072834_e9e788aaf9.jpg

Edited by Ks Toh

On 24 July 2016 at 11:44 AM, Ks Toh said:

Two weeks ago, there was another intruder in my house. A flying animal a little longer than 2 feet.

Parrot is believed to be a manifestation of Pheonix and in any case when birds made an appearance to your home, they bring good opportunities. Furthermore, your visitor is a parrot. How auspicious, KS ! 

I am also in serious consideration to do a vertical garden when my leased apartment is collected back next year.  

On 10/31/2013 at 8:47 PM, Ks Toh said:

One tip I would like to share is the shower area. If you have a kerb or drop (to keep water from coming out of the shower area), this must be OUTSIDE of the shower door. I find many workers these days simply doing the kerb or drop directly below the shower door, or worse, inside the shower door. Then they use a rubber seal (not sure what you call it) below the door to try to stop the water from coming out. The seal does not work.

null_zps688e53d4.jpg

Hi, im doing up a drop for my shower area, and yes its recommended to do the drop outside the glass. Ive installed the glass just right after the drop. Is there a reason u left a big space/gab from the drop to your glass?

Edited by mopiko

On 7/24/2016 at 11:44 AM, Ks Toh said:

The most impressive house ive seen to-date!! and a residen PArrot~!! WoW!

Macam mini GardensBay

On 7/30/2016 at 8:57 AM, kamakura said:

Parrot is believed to be a manifestation of Pheonix and in any case when birds made an appearance to your home, they bring good opportunities. Furthermore, your visitor is a parrot. How auspicious, KS ! 

I am also in serious consideration to do a vertical garden when my leased apartment is collected back next year.  

Yes, thanks. We are very happy with the vertical garden. If you can do it, it will be nice. You can read what I did and let me know if you have any questions.

BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Edited by kstoh