Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

10 hours ago, Alpc said:

So you got a Mi Robot too? Does it do more than 1 room ah? I am contemplating to buy the Mi Robot, but not sure if it only cleans 1 room...

The Mi Robot can go from room to room on the same level (no steps). No problem at all. I used it to clean level 2 of my house. It went from one room to another. The area occupied by the two beds cannot be cleaned as the beds here are platform beds i.e. on the ground, with no gap between bed and floor. If there is a gap of at least 10 cm, the Mi Robot will also clean under the bed.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 20/03/2017 at 9:20 AM, kstoh said:

The Mi Robot can go from room to room on the same level (no steps). No problem at all. I used it to clean level 2 of my house. It went from one room to another. The area occupied by the two beds cannot be cleaned as the beds here are platform beds i.e. on the ground, with no gap between bed and floor. If there is a gap of at least 10 cm, the Mi Robot will also clean under the bed.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Excellent! Ok, I am set to get this. Just need to know when it is available on sale! Haha.

The Mi Robot is not on sale outside of China yet. So you need to purchase online. Just follow the instructions given in my earlier post here.

On 20/03/2017 at 9:01 AM, kstoh said:

I guess it depends on your individual preferences. Cove lighting is normally "warm" lighting for ambience. Downlights and other lights are mainly while light for lighting up the place. Although I always install cove lighting, I find that I rarely use. It is always down lights on (room bright) or off (no lights). So if you are like me, cove lighting is not really necessary. And yes, you will get rid of this ledge where dust can gather. Come to think of it, I have yet to clean for many years. And if you are able to get lower profile downlights, the false ceiling can be higher, resulting in an higher overall ceiling. 

Yes. I think you have helped me make up my mind!

Thank you so much!

Hi, 

Thank you for such a comprehensive write up. 

May any I know how much did your ID charged you for your concrete kitchen Top at your backyard?

i gotten a quote from my ID and feels like they are charging me a bit high

thanks

Hi

I can't remember the exact cost in the end. But looking at my old documents, I saw this line in the quotations:

To supply & construct est. L7.5ft concrete structure w/ tiles max 3.50 psf for stove - $1,650

It may be difficult to compare cost due to differences in design, material cost, total contract sum, date of reno etc. Better to get a few quotes based on your actual design and requirement.

On 20/10/2013 at 3:50 PM, Ks Toh said:

There are a couple of lessons I learnt from my experience.

6. When buying expensive equipment (refrigerator, TV, washing machine, dryer etc), buy 5 year extended warranty if possible. In the past, such equipment lasts a long time (more than 10 years). But if you noticed, most of these companies have gone out of business as the consumers do not need to buy replacements. These days, most consumer items are build to last only just past the standard 1 or 2 year warranty period, so that they can sell you another replacement. Assume a fridge sells at $1,399 at Best Denki but $200 cheaper at the neighbourhood shop, I will still buy from Best Denki because for another $97.93, I can extend the warranty from 1 to 5 years. For just under $1,500 (or $299 per year), I get to use the fridge for a minimum of 5 years. Without the extended warranty, for $1,199 I get to use the fridge for a minimum of only 1 to 2 years. Based on my claims experience (fridge, washing machine, dryer, TV, oven), I can confirm that extended warranty is definitely worth buying. Some machines do come with 3 or 5 years warranty on certain parts but these are normally not the parts that will fail.

This is what I have been telling my family and friends too!

On 13/01/2014 at 9:02 PM, Ks Toh said:

Do I really need Structured Network Cabling?

If you are doing renovations now, you should do it or you will regret later.

What is Structured Network Cabling?

Basically, this means laying computer cables to every room, ending with a faceplate like this in one of my rooms:

IMG_0018_zps2ee62a55.jpg

This is very common in offices, where you can plug your desktop PC into the faceplate and be connected to the office network. In the faceplate shown above, the network point (RJ47) is on the right while the telephone point (RJ11) is on the left.

Why would I need Structured Network Cabling at home when I can use WiFi to access the internet?

While internet access is the most common use, structured network cabling serves many other present and future purposes. Under Singapore's Next Generation NBN (Nationwide Broadband Network), not just internet data but voice, video, TV, gaming, education, health and all kinds of services will be delivered via the NBN. Many of these services cannot be carried via WiFi.

For example, your fibre broadband connection reaches your hall. If you want Mio TV in your room, it is not possible unless you had laid structured network cabling from your hall to your room. In the future, if you need video conferencing in your bedroom for medical video-conferencing or your child needs to have a video lesson with his teacher from the study, it will not be possible.

Agree. I always stress that infrastructure is important in any renovation planning. This includes laying of cables electrical points before the space planning and design comes into picture.

14 hours ago, diva79 said:

This is what I have been telling my family and friends too!

Just last week, my Electrolux washing machine broke down. Lucky, 5 year warranty up to 2018. Then my Brandt gas cooker hob and induction cooker both broke down too. Realised that although I have extended warranty up till Nov 2017 for the entire Brandt appliances I bought, I left out the gas hob at the time of purchase because the sales guy told me: 'what for buy extended warranty for gas hob? gas hob never break down." Urgh!!! Cost of repair (transport plus parts replacement) more than price of new gas hob, so I decided to buy a compatible gas hob. As for induction hob, lucky still covered under extended warranty. Repairman said something about circuit board needs replacement, expensive repair, need to get Harvey Norman to approve before they will repair. Eventually, approved and done. I think if not covered under warranty, I would have to buy new set.

13 hours ago, diva79 said:

Agree. I always stress that infrastructure is important in any renovation planning. This includes laying of cables electrical points before the space planning and design comes into picture.

Great minds think alike! And welcome back to renotalk! 

Edited by kstoh

Mi Robot Goes English

My sister also bought the Mi Robot. Today she reported that she could enter Singapore (recommended) as location without any issue. Then she reported that English and other voice packs are now available. Now my Mi app is in English and my Mi Robot speaks English!

Edited by kstoh

It's been 5 years since I renovated my place. Some things I wished I had done differently. Some things I am very happy with. Most of all, I really like my vertical garden. Still looks good. So, I am thinking of doing vertical garden on some of my other walls as well, starting with a small wall at my backyard. Got a quotation. $4,200+ for this wall that measures about 3m x 1.6m. Ouch. I am going to try to DIY this wall for one tenth the cost. Don't know whether I can do it. Maintenance is quoted at $200 per month. But I have been self maintaining my current vertical garden, so no need.

p.s. I last posted a year ago and this place seems very different. I have not been able to edit the Index page on my first page! And how come every post has this "Request to get contractor" link?

DIY Vertical Garden (Green Wall)

IMG_7186.jpg

Edited by kstoh

There are many vertical garden systems. The most common system is the one where a frame or panel  is mounted on the wall and pots are hung from the frame. However, once you start to add up the panels, planters and accessories, the cost will escalate. This system is also bulky as in it protrudes from the wall quite a bit.

IMG_7644.JPG.f10f2b6b78ea4ee34a021707bde9e67f.JPGIMG_7646.JPG.942b84b21f55aa5121fa0ad964808d40.JPG

BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Edited by kstoh