Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

On 10/15/2018 at 8:42 AM, kstoh said:

Hi,

Saw that you have a GR.  May I know how do you deal with the daily fur shedding?  And do you have fur problems appearing in the pond?

Edited by cymon

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 10/19/2018 at 8:31 PM, cymon said:

Hi,

Saw that you have a GR.  May I know how do you deal with the daily fur shedding?  And do you have fur problems appearing in the pond?

I use to wonder how to deal with the daily fur shedding but not anymore. I don't even notice it anymore. Not sure why but could be any of the following reasons:-

1. Mr GR is now 1 1/2 years old. Maybe they shed less after 1 year?

2. I now comb him every day after his walk. I think they helps a lot.

3. I put my robot vacuum to work every day. It is very good at picking up fur.

4. Maybe I am just used to it now.

Until you mentioned, I did not even notice the fur in the pond. There is only some fur on the pond surface but no, there is no problem at all. I don't even bother to remove them. They just disappear somewhere after a while.

Edited by Ks Toh

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 11:19 AM, kstoh said:

So I mentioned earlier that I was going to DIY a Vertical Garden myself. I finally did it. Not under 10% of the quoted cost but still not too bad, under 15% of the quoted cost.

Instead of posting lots of pictures, I will post a video.

P.S. After this video was shot, I added a U shaped drain at the bottom to drain away the water to the left. I used an aircon duct casing, spray painted it black and inverted it!

Hi kstoh, I am interested in getting a vertical wall but am worried about the maintenance. What do you do to maintain it? 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:03 AM, kstoh said:

Thanks for dropping by. I have not been updating this blog for some time.

Some things I am very happy with, like my vertical gardens and koi ponds. Some others like my Silestone counter-tops, they have all turned off white. I also wished I had more than one network point to each room, and more water points everywhere. I did only A&A, never touched anything structural. My roof is an open roof terrace. I merely changed some of the timber decking. There is a small roof where the staircase goes up, but I never touched that roof.

p.s. I am surprised that the photos on my first few pages are still showing. I thought Photobucket already pulled the plug because I refused to pay?

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your reno journey and experience, it has been a great help esp now that i am abt to start my reno. Just realised that OpenNet has been changed to Netlink. You mentioned that you wished you had more than 1 network point to each room, could you elaborate on that? Wouldnt wifi be sufficient? Mine is a resale HDB flat and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to extend the network point to all rooms. Currently have 2 growing up girls and wonder if their need for high speed broadband will justify the costs.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, patpatrol said:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your reno journey and experience, it has been a great help esp now that i am abt to start my reno. Just realised that OpenNet has been changed to Netlink. You mentioned that you wished you had more than 1 network point to each room, could you elaborate on that? Wouldnt wifi be sufficient? Mine is a resale HDB flat and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to extend the network point to all rooms. Currently have 2 growing up girls and wonder if their need for high speed broadband will justify the costs.

Thank you.

if you planning to have fibre TV in each room, then addition network points are needed as the fibre TV cannot use the same network point as data. WIFI is for laptops or mobile devices but if using desktop, a LAN point would still be preferred. Adding another 3 or 4 network points in the whole house will maybe cost you another $500 or less. but if you don't do it now, you may face bigger headaches of pulling additional cables later on.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:15 AM, kenjo said:

Hi kstoh, I am interested in getting a vertical wall but am worried about the maintenance. What do you do to maintain it? 

I used to pay a gardener to come once every week, then every 2 weeks, then every month, then every few months. Now, my wife and I maintain ourselves. Maintenance means trimming away overgrown plants, replanting those that died and spraying pesticide. I use organic pesticide due to the fishes below my vertical garden.

Edited by Ks Toh

10 hours ago, patpatrol said:

Hi,

Thank you.

Hi, exactly what snooze explained. WiFi is really for casual internet access. Even then, when you round a corner, the signal can drop. If you can, you should network cable to every room or location.

I am on StarHub cable TV. For about a year now, StarHub has offered to switch me to fibre TV at higher speed but lower cost.. But I refused to take up the offer. Problem is that StarHub TV requires a dedicated network access from the TV box to the VeONT (fibre modem) i.e. cannot route through switch. This means if I use the hall network point for StarHub TV, I cannot use it for anything else! Currently, I am using this point for many purposes which I cannot do without: WiFi Access point, Smart TV, SoundBar, Apple TV, Network drive and IP Camera.

The only solution is to lay another network cable from my VeONT to my hall. This is a NO NO to my wife as it means unsightly cabling all the way from utility room > kitchen > bomb shelter > cabinets > dining > pond > hall.

I understand that if you subscribe to SingTel TV, you will not have this problem. Apparently, SIngTel uses VLAN tagging or some technology which allows both fibre TV and internet to be carried via the same network cable.

The above is my simple explanation based on what I understand. I am not that technically knowledgeable. I read on HWZ there may be a solution but I do not understand it. Maybe someone who understands better can explain.

8 Years On .....

It has been 8 years since I renovated my place. Now, I am mainly in maintenance mode, and doing mostly Youtube videos on how to do this and that.

DIY Vertical Garden

I posted a video on my DIY Vertical Garden but some people asked me how to to do the Auto Irrigation.

This is the abridged version:

You can purchase the tap and plumbing tape from local hardware stores.

For the water timer, you can purchase from most nurseries like Far East or World Farm. You can purchase much cheaper online but many of those do not last. The one that I have receintly bought and used is from https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A5dycT

For the 13mm supply hose, 4/7 micro hose, connectors and sprinklers, you can buy from Far East or World Farm if you are not confident of getting the correct part. Otherwise, you can get them much cheaper online:

4/7mm Greenhouse Garden Irrigation Automatic Watering Pipe - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AlbB5v
4/7mm Garden Irrigation Nozzle Adjustable Dripper Sprinkler - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AaNnyJ
Mini 360 Degree G Type Rotating Refraction Sprinkler - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_9A3OJ1
4/7/9/18/25/36/49/72 Pockets Garden Wall Hanging Planting Bags https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AAicWP
Garden hose 16mm 20mm to 1/2 "3/4" Female Connector Barbed Plastic Hose Fitting Micro Irrigation Adapter - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AslLsn

Edited by kstoh

Mosquitoes and Other Flying Insects

My family complained that there are lots of mosquitoes flying into the home. I realised that they were mainly coming in from the toilet windows. So I did something. You can buy the net from FairPrice and mounting tape from anywhere (I bought online).

After I did the above, my wife complained that the screen was non-removeable. So, I had to redo. I bought the frames online from ezbuy.

DIY Magnetic Screen - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_ADeCfz
DIY Velco Screen - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_9IuTCb

• Like 1