Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
luiz78

Renovation Changes Without Notice To Owner!

Hi

Did anyone encounter similar situation with their renovation ID or contractor?

Is it a norm in this industry?

Promises and items agreed during signing of renovation contracts was not delivered and changed without consulting or getting owner approval.

Every week will find new surprises during site visit.

The following are some items found recently.

- Slide & swing PD door change to Bifold door for both toilets without informing & consulting home owner.

- False ceiling not done at kitchen bar counter.

- Cabinets below bar counter missing only a piece of laminated plywood bar counter done.

- iQuartz tabletop on bar counter missing.

- Blum lift up system changed to normal hydraulic system for kitchen dish washer cabinet door without informing or consulting owner.

- Wardrobe laminate changed without consulting owner.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

According to the ID, they said they have the right to modify design, specs, details measurements, materials and fitting due to site and manufacturing constraints.

Does this mean they can do anything they want without informing or consulting the owner like what happen to my renovation?

Need some advice on this.

I guess they're trying to cut costs by changing to the cheaper items and materials. you should stick to what is agreed on the contract or else you can take it up to CASE.

Green.

Well actually, even the doctor should explain to you what will be expecting throughout the operation, any changes on the way shall make note to the signature family member when you were unconscious.

I suggest you read before signing the contract, not to be surprise after. Even though, this is very clear that you could log a complain to case for being not professional.

• Like 1

Thanks Diva79 & Tiler Seng for the advices.

At least I know what is my rights now even they have those fine prints in the contract.

Have to give them a chance to rectify all the issues before deciding what's next.

Some of my kitchen cabinet & Bedroom wardrobe doors does not have the soft closing effect. (LOUD SLAMMING SOUND)

Is it a norm to have some doors that work and some that don't work? I am not using BLUM. (Not sure what brand is used)

As for Kitchen cabinet drawers, it stopped halfway when I give it a push to close it.

The resistant is strong and I need 2nd push to completely closed the drawer.

Is there something wrong here?

What can the contractor do to rectify this?

Need advice. Thanks.

Some of my kitchen cabinet & Bedroom wardrobe doors does not have the soft closing effect. (LOUD SLAMMING SOUND)

Is it a norm to have some doors that work and some that don't work? I am not using BLUM. (Not sure what brand is used)

As for Kitchen cabinet drawers, it stopped halfway when I give it a push to close it.

The resistant is strong and I need 2nd push to completely closed the drawer.

Is there something wrong here?

What can the contractor do to rectify this?

Need advice. Thanks.

hi luiz78, my 2 cents of info :D

blum is the industry leader, but the average brand of cabinet hinge will work if applied in the right procedure i.e. the door size and thickness will determine the number of hinges needed per door; in the case of your bigger wardrobe doors. Smaller door may need a door damper like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80126213/

as for the drawer-slide, it could either be that they were not properly fixed (aligned) or they are not suitable for the workload (drawer slides and cabinet hinges have different models for the weight that they carry).

I just checked and found they are using Jasmine brand of cabinet hinges. Is this part of the cause? Or simply not enough hinges for the doors?

20131026_094949_zps3d180117.jpg

Edited by luiz78

I just checked and found they are using Jasmine brand of cabinet hinges. Is this part of the cause? Or simply not enough hinges for the doors?

Maybe you can try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56cqwMnKRz0

Hettich is another leading brand for furniture fittings but 'Jasmine hinge' is unheard of, very likely mic.

Chinese brand such as DTC is pretty ok though.

Your Id/contractor really has no right to change proposed materials to lower-cost substitutes without consulting you, and any change should be of equivalent quality; Blum vs Jasmine is at the extreme of each pole.

Blum equivalent are Hettich, Grass, Salice, which are available from locally.

My 16 years-old kitchen are using Grass hinges and slides, and build-in wardrobe using Hettich. All working well to-date, and amazingly no rust at all.

That's German quality worth paying for.

Thanks for all the advice on the hinges.

Now I have another new problem, I had requested for TV Console to be rounded at the 4 edges as I have a little kid at home.

When the TV console is done and put up, they tell me the laminate cannot be bend so the rounded edges does not have any laminate and they had painted it to try to blend with the laminate but it is totally different in color & looks awful.

Quite a shocking sight when we saw it as we thought it is still uncompleted work until we ask them.

If we don't ask them, they won't even tell us about the laminate problem.

Is it true that laminate cannot be bend so any carpentry work will not have a laminate on the rounded area???

Any Solution for this?

Need advice ...thanks.