Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tensilestrain

5Mm Gap For Granite Floor Tiles

I am renovating my resale flat, using granite as the floor tiles. My contractor is telling me that the tiles are not squarish enough to have small grout. I am expected to see grouts of up to 5 mm which I read that for granite tiles, the grout is supposed to be abt 2mm. Initially, he suggested to cut the tiles but he didn't do so. Instead he sourced for another batch of tiles which turned out to be the same.

I need advices. If I accept the 5 mm grout, will there be any problems due to it in the finished product?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I did not measure but I am quite sure my granite tiles (black galaxy) are not 5 mm. I just looked at the ruler, 5 mm is way too big a gap. One of the reasons why people choose granite or marble is the small gap, so I say you should reject the whole batch of tiles. Alternatively, ask him to lay a sample of 4 pieces for you to see before you decide.

I think even ceramic tiles gap smaller than 5 mm. Why are the tiles not squarish? If factory cut, should be straight cut. I suspect maybe your batch of tiles are cut from bigger pieces, and the cutting was irregular.

Edited by kstoh

Thanks for the reply. I have rejected 3 batches of tiles because the tiler said it is impossible to lay all the tiles with small gaps and the contractor wanted me to accept the fact that some parts would have gaps of 5 mm. Because of this issue, the renovation works has stopped. We are going to source for new tiles. But I am worried that we may not be able to find. The tiler will go together this time. Hopefully the problem will be solved.

The tiles look squarish. For the 2nd and 3rd batches, we lay a sample of 4 to 6 tiles. It looks fine with 4 tiles but with 6 together, one tile just could not align with the rest. There is always a bigger gap.

Can I confirm you are using granite tiles? What size? I am using 60 x 30 for toilet floors. I just took a ruler to measure and the gaps were mostly 1 to 2 mm. Not sure if you can see the photos from my blog.

I also asked my ID. He said 5 mm gap is "too huge".

Did you try going to a different shop yourself to see their granite tiles & also ask them about the gap? I suspect the tiles you are getting were irregularly cut. So, if you go back to the same supplier, he is going to give you more of the same.

Edited by kstoh

Kstoh,

Thanks for checking. I confirm it is granite 60 x 60. The tiler refused to lay unless we agreed to accept the gap.

This is frustrating. The reno has stopped because of the tiles.

We went to another supplier last saturday. The cuts are better. But many tiles have scratches on it. I thought granite would not get scratches easily. So now waiting to do a dry lay with the supplier. The salesperson said the gap should be 1 to 2 mm.

Yes, granite not supposed to be scratched so easily. And if you are doing dry lay (and you paid for it), it means the tiles are new and taken straight out from the same crate, I am wondering why they are already scratched??? I think you better make full use of the dry lay to weed out those that are badly scratched and reject them.

My own experience with dry lay has been a "waste of time", if you read my story in my blog. Hope yours is fruitful.

5mm is way too wide. Mine is granite 60 x 60 tiles, about 1mm only, at most 2mm. Side track alittle, my flooring is done u by ex-owner which i don't like. It is extremely slippery when wet so not suitable for the elderly, pregnant, and babies. And had a hard time finding contractor to regrind granite flooring - they quoted $4000. Whereas it cost just $1400 to repolish marble flooring.

Edited by gemini