Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I thought the SCDF would have commisioned the household shelter when HDB gave out the keys to the flat. How come there was another inspection?

I have not collected my keys as the block has not TOP yet.

After this HS commissioning would be the TOP application, the final hurdle before the block is handed to HDB.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have not collected my keys as the block has not TOP yet.

After this HS commissioning would be the TOP application, the final hurdle before the block is handed to HDB.

Household Shelter is a useless piece of design, cannot hack, cannot drill, cannot anything, :curse:

I suspect the inclusion of Household Shelter in new apartment is a way to tell Singaporean that the government can anytime s***w you by regulation regardless of use and practicalbilty.

Edited by francisg

Just sharing what I think is a fantastic deal which was just launched today.

Get a $688 voucher for use on any Samsung fridge or washer with purchase of selected model fridge or washer.

So happens the both the fridge models RT35FDACDSL and RT59QBSL are eligible for the $688 voucher and I believe there is still a concurrent promotion of a free vacuum cleaner and $50 supermarket vouchers. Now, all we have to do is to find a place to store the fridge for a couple of months. :unsure:

SamsungFridgeWasherPromotion.jpg

We went ahead and purchased the RT59QBSL refrigerator from Parisilk as they offered the best price and their service has always been exceptional, at least in our experience. It is a well known fact that Samsung washers, and to a certain extent some of their other appliances and electronics, aren't exactly the most reliable ones around but we can't really complain much if its free. For now, we have shortlisted WF702, WF752, WF806 and WD702 for purchase with the $688 voucher.

Edited by mavicaste

Household Shelter is a useless piece of design, cannot hack, cannot drill, cannot anything, :curse:

I suspect the inclusion of Household Shelter in new apartment is a way to tell Singaporean that the government can anytime s***w you by regulation regardless of use and practicalbilty.

By now, most of us should have grown accustomed to the idea of having a room in the house where we basically can't alter any aspect of it other than the flooring and wall colours. In our case, we are still pretty satisfied with the location of the HS in our home so its not a problem. We also don't have an issue with the HS door and don't see the need to conceal it since the raw look is one of our desired elements. In fact, we are looking at ways to include the HS door as a sub-feature of our design. ;)

Anyway, I firmly believe the only way to have the government to sit up and really listen to the ground sentiments is to hurt them at the polls, too bad it only comes around every 5 years but this is another topic for another day. :good:

With the $688 voucher I think its worth it. :good:

Only minor issue that we have to store the fridge in my parents' living room for the next 2 to 3 months as this model is not going to be able to squeeze through my room door.

By now, most of us should have grown accustomed to the idea of having a room in the house where we basically can't alter any aspect of it other than the flooring and wall colours. In our case, we are still pretty satisfied with the location of the HS in our home so its not a problem. We also don't have an issue with the HS door and don't see the need to conceal it since the raw look is one of our desired elements. In fact, we are looking at ways to include the HS door as a sub-feature of our design. ;)

Anyway, I firmly believe the only way to have the government to sit up and really listen to the ground sentiments is to hurt them at the polls, too bad it only comes around every 5 years but this is another topic for another day. :good:

Sensitive topic.

Don chat it at here ~ wahahaha ...

Only minor issue that we have to store the fridge in my parents' living room for the next 2 to 3 months as this model is not going to be able to squeeze through my room door.

Think it should be ok to store 2 mths.

Not really that long of a time. Save a lot if you ask me.

We tend to take things like peace for granted. But history has shown us that things can change very fast. Overnight, governments can change, friendly neighouring countries can turn into unreasonable enemies. When that happens, this useless shelter will suddenly become the most important room in our apartment. It's the same with many of the other things we do like spending billions of dollars on defence equipment which we never get to use, or trying to turn sea water and urine into drinking water.

But I wonder what will really happen if the bombs start dropping?

- For those of us who use it as a store, is there still sufficient space for us to squeeze in?

- For those of use who use it as a helper's room, will the helper survive while the rest of us perish?

- And if the rest of the block collapse, will all the bomb shelters remain standing as a single stack? How do we get down to ground level?

But i guess the shelter is designed only for cases where we have to hide temporarily in case of an air raid.

Edited by kstoh

But I wonder what will really happen if the bombs start dropping?

- For those of us who use it as a store, is there still sufficient space for us to squeeze in?

- For those of use who use it as a helper's room, will the helper survive while the rest of us perish?

- And if the rest of the block collapse, will all the bomb shelters remain standing as a single stack? How do we get down to ground level?

These questions baffles me as much as they did to you.

But seeing the scholars and generals at helm, I slept soundly at night leaving the questions for another day for I know all had been plan and thought for already.

Nonetheless, the bomb shelter does make a very good storeroom.

By the way, you may consider a fox hole for your property. :notti:

But seeing the scholars and generals at helm, I slept soundly at night leaving the questions for another day for I know all had been plan and thought for already.

Love the subtle tone of your sarcasm. =)

Home shelter is good for protection against shrapnel, small arms, once in a million year super typhoon

Useless for household fire, gas leaks, large arms, nerve agent, nuclear fallout, etc.

Not really sure about protection against earthquakes

For those that is going to fix up shelving in the HS, SCDF/HDB allows you to do as per below, if you have young one at home, better to anchor the shelving onto the wall then to risk it.

"Fixing of removable screws with non-metallic inserts not exceeding 50mm deep for fixtures and equipment e.g. pictures, posters, cabinets or shelves etc. Such fixtures that are installed inside the HS will have to be removed by the owners within 48 hours upon notification. There is no restriction to the diameter of the non-metallic insert as long as it does not exceed 50mm in length. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the strength of the insert is adequately provided for the intended purpose."

I would not be this angry if the HS can at least protect against household fire by having fireproof ventilation hole which can be shut off when there is household fire and i can train my young one how to use it.

sorry for the rambling, sort of lost it when the delay is due to HS

Edited by francisg

Home shelter is good for protection against shrapnel, small arms, once in a million year super typhoon

Useless for household fire, gas leaks, large arms, nerve agent, nuclear fallout, etc.

Not really sure about protection against earthquakes

For those that is going to fix up shelving in the HS, SCDF/HDB allows you to do as per below, if you have young one at home, better to anchor the shelving onto the wall then to risk it.

"Fixing of removable screws with non-metallic inserts not exceeding 50mm deep for fixtures and equipment e.g. pictures, posters, cabinets or shelves etc. Such fixtures that are installed inside the HS will have to be removed by the owners within 48 hours upon notification. There is no restriction to the diameter of the non-metallic insert as long as it does not exceed 50mm in length. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the strength of the insert is adequately provided for the intended purpose."

I would not be this angry if the HS can at least protect against household fire by having fireproof ventilation hole which can be shut off when there is household fire and i can train my young one how to use it.

sorry for the rambling, sort of lost it when the delay is due to HS

I too lost it when all the earlier 6 blocks in the BTO who collected their keys went through inspection smoothly. I mean don't they always have professionals to conduct internal audits before the actual ones?

A lot of the neighbours, and my wife, expressed concern upon knowing about this main contractor and their worries were not unfounded at all. We are in the midst of setting a record of the longest time to complete a standard BTO project in recent years.

Edited by mavicaste