Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Mavicaste,

I just got the key to my 2 room BTO on the 7th Feb and realise that everyone has started looking for ID/Contractors months if not years ahead. My first quotation came up to a unbelievable $19700 for a pretty simple reno work. Am wondering if you mind sharing your detail quotes and design draft please. My email is anniken0764@gmail.com.

MTA and cheers,

Anniken

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Mavicaste,

I just got the key to my 2 room BTO on the 7th Feb and realise that everyone has started looking for ID/Contractors months if not years ahead. My first quotation came up to a unbelievable $19700 for a pretty simple reno work. Am wondering if you mind sharing your detail quotes and design draft please. My email is anniken0764@gmail.com.

MTA and cheers,

Anniken

Hi anniken,

Check your email. ;)

I am away on ICT this week so the updates may not be as regular as I prefer.

The renovation permit has been approved and hacking is scheduled to be carried out on this Thursday, Friday and the following Monday. :fire:

The hacking of our study wall and kitchen entrance is to be concurrently carried out together with the fridge and washer bases wet works. Once these two items have been completed, there will be a break for the HDB screed to be done before the rest of the renovation works begin.

AL has also provided us with a Gantt chart based renovation schedule so that we can better anticipate which appliances or client supplied items to have ready at each stage of the process.

Hacking was done yesterday and these are the only photos I took before I got out of my unit as the dust started filling the air. I will only be back tomorrow to check on the completed hacking and all the tiled bases.

Hacking01.jpg

Hacking02.jpg

Study's passageway wall is hacked and a low wall will be erected in its place as the base to hold the aluminium framed glass panels.

StudyWallHacked01.jpg

StudyWallHacked02.jpg

StudyDraft02.jpg

Kitchen entrance wall on the right is also removed to allow us to shift the door to the right. A wall with full height shoe cabinet in front of it will be built in place of the original entry point.

KitchenEntranceHacked.jpg

ShoeCabinetDraft02.jpg

Edited by mavicaste

The fridge, kitchen cabinet, washers bases and new walls are being worked on concurrently by the tiler.

There is a slight issue of non-conformity with the tiles used for the kitchen bases but AL was quick to acknowledge the problem and swiftly made the necessary arrangements to correct it. :good:

KitchenBases.jpg

BathroomShowerKerb.jpg

WallMaterials.jpg

Hello mavicaste!

My wife and I are also planning to do a similar network layout in our upcoming house. We have about the same floor plan. I am not much of network guy.

Technical question:

Must switches be configured first before use? I just want to 'plug and connect' immediately >.< Have always struggled with networking modules during my poly years.

We are also thinking of placing a wireless router (maybe ASUS black diamond) in the living room since it will be 'centralised'.

Maybe our setup will be ONT > WIFI router > switch (?). Do tell us the pros and cons. Thanks!

Edited by mishmash

Hello mavicaste!

My wife and I are also planning to do a similar network layout in our upcoming house. We have about the same floor plan. I am not much of network guy.

Technical question:

Must switches be configured first before use? I just want to 'plug and connect' immediately >.< Have always struggled with networking modules during my poly years.

We are also thinking of placing a wireless router (maybe ASUS black diamond) in the living room since it will be 'centralised'.

Maybe our setup will be ONT > WIFI router > switch (?). Do tell us the pros and cons. Thanks!

Hi mishmash,

it is good to see more homeowners considering structured cabling for their new homes.

Most consumer switches are plug and play and do not require any configuration and unless you are planning to deploy a managed switch, as in my case, you need not be concerned with this aspect.

In terms of the wireless router location, placing it in the living is hardly the centralized location for most HDB units and poor signals or blind spots are likely to be experienced in the main bedroom. So, if you are able to shift it to either of the common bedrooms, that will likely boost the all round coverage of your wireless network.

• Like 1

The hollow block walls for the study and shoe cabinet were both up yesterday afternoon.

StudyHollowBlockWall.jpg

Hi, just curious, why did u guys choose to erect the hollow block for the fixed panels?

Hi mishmash,it is good to see more homeowners considering structured cabling for their new homes.Most consumer switches are plug and play and do not require any configuration and unless you are planning to deploy a managed switch, as in my case, you need not be concerned with this aspect.In terms of the wireless router location, placing it in the living is hardly the centralized location for most HDB units and poor signals or blind spots are likely to be experienced in the main bedroom. So, if you are able to shift it to either of the common bedrooms, that will likely boost the all round coverage of your wireless network.

I see... Back to the drawing board as the missus is leaving all the technical setup to me. Must do swee swee.

Mavi, when will you start with your networking plan? After hacking or after false ceiling?

Still interested in your networking plans. Hahaha.

Hi, just curious, why did u guys choose to erect the hollow block for the fixed panels?

Hi bianzi,

if you refer to my inspiration for the study, you will notice they have full length glass panels and we really like how it opens up the space and with the introduction of more light into the passageway. This was part of our design requirements right from the start. Along the way, it evolved to a low wall as half height was too high for us while full height glass panels are a little common. We thought with the low wall, we will also be able to lean some display items against the glass panels.

Mavi, when will you start with your networking plan? After hacking or after false ceiling?

Still interested in your networking plans. Hahaha.

Just updated the network plan under post 9.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62881-4-years-in-the-making-punggol-emerald/?p=827230

Over the weekend, I just picked up a 1000ft reel of 3M cat6 cable along with some dual-port face plates and keystone jacks. As electrical works will be the first item to restart the renovation process after the HDB cement screed, I better have it ready on standby. For the rest of the items such as patch panels, RJ45 connectors and tools, I will be getting them from Amazon.

The electrician will be laying the cables trunking them before the ceiling works so that we can conceal as much of them as possible and the rest will be concealed by carpentry wherever possible.

3MVolitionCat6Cable.jpg

Edited by mavicaste