Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

how much did u spend on that 1000ft of cat6 cable and where u get it from may I ask?

$195 from JFL Electronics, Sim Lim Tower #03-34. I think their cable price is reasonable enough but some of their other items can be pricey, so do compare prices if you can.

The previous 2 occasions I went around scouting the prices, a lot of shops were carrying Schneider (Clipsal used to have network cable product lines) for around $150. I also asked for Belden and was told it will be $200+ which is way above my budget.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Time for another daily update!

The fridge, kitchen cabinet and washer bases were all completed with the right tiles this time. This is some very prompt rectification considering I only pointed out the issue with the tiles on Saturday morning.

WasherBase.jpg

The hollow block walls for the study and shoe cabinet were also finished with a really smooth plaster. For someone like me who can be really uptight with symmetry and straight lines, I can't really find fault with such workmanship. If only we have the budget to have them screed the floor. :wub:

StudyHollowBlockWallSmooth.jpg

ShoeCabinetHollowBlockWallSmooth.jpg

Progress is now halted to allow HDB to screed the entire unit and we were informed that it may actually take as long as the standard 3 to 4 weeks timeline that HDB advises when submitting the applications.

Hi, need your advise.

I apply for Singtel fibre, think they come with their own lousy router/moderm.

If I had lay structure Cat6 cable to my MBR, am I able to connect the data pt in my MBR to another better router for wifi?

Is this possible?

Thanks for advising a IT idiot. :lol:

Hi, need your advise.

I apply for Singtel fibre, think they come with their own lousy router/moderm.

If I had lay structure Cat6 cable to my MBR, am I able to connect the data pt in my MBR to another better router for wifi?

Is this possible?

Thanks for advising a IT idiot. :lol:

AS far as I know, many of the ISPs officially supports "direct ONT" connection where you can use your own router simply by connecting it to the ONT without any additional VLAN tagging or configuration required, but not SingTel.

On your question of extending the coverage of your wireless network, you will just need to connect a second router to the SingTel router in bridged mode to do so, since you intend to lay a cable to your bedroom.

In our case, StarHub's HomeHub 200 is the first choice at the moment as we are looking more for a all-round package to cater to our needs instead of the fastest connection available. We are still unable to sign up for any ISP as the fibre link to our block hasn't been activated yet.

• Like 1

:D

AS far as I know, many of the ISPs officially supports "direct ONT" connection where you can use your own router simply by connecting it to the ONT without any additional VLAN tagging or configuration required, but not SingTel.

On your question of extending the coverage of your wireless network, you will just need to connect a second router to the SingTel router in bridged mode to do so, since you intend to lay a cable to your bedroom.

In our case, StarHub's HomeHub 200 is the first choice at the moment as we are looking more for a all-round package to cater to our needs instead of the fastest connection available. We are still unable to sign up for any ISP as the fibre link to our block hasn't been activated yet.

Thanks thanks. Sorry to bother you again and again. :P

Btw, what is bridged mode har?

Hi Mavicaste,

I am currently doing up renovation for my home. I understand for a normal case the TP will connect to ONT which will connect to the router to provide wifi.

If i structure my house with Cat 6 cable throughout different rooms, can i locate my TP in the utility closet and then TP will connect to ONT only in the utility closet.

I will then just hook up the router in any room that has an ethernet point directly to provide wifi in the house as it makes no sense to put the router in the utility closet.

Possible right?

Thanks.

Hi Mavicaste,

I am currently doing up renovation for my home. I understand for a normal case the TP will connect to ONT which will connect to the router to provide wifi.

If i structure my house with Cat 6 cable throughout different rooms, can i locate my TP in the utility closet and then TP will connect to ONT only in the utility closet.

I will then just hook up the router in any room that has an ethernet point directly to provide wifi in the house as it makes no sense to put the router in the utility closet.

Possible right?

Thanks.

Hi skins,

yes what you have in mind is perfectly feasible. You just have to ensure that the utility closet has a cat6 cable link to wherever you intend to place your router.

Hi skins,

yes what you have in mind is perfectly feasible. You just have to ensure that the utility closet has a cat6 cable link to wherever you intend to place your router.

Do you know the regulation on the space required for the OTP if located in a enclosed space (Closet)??

Hi skins,

Hi Mavicaste,

Possible right?

Thanks.

I stand corrected, but in the future if for some reason you need to subscribe to two or more ISPs on fibre (e.g, SingTel & StarHub to deliver different services to different rooms), this might pose a problem unless you have two or more Cat 6 cables running from your utility room to the place you put your router. But I guess this is unlikely for the majority of users.

Hi skins,

Thanks for your reply :)

Do you know the regulation on the space required for the OTP if located in a enclosed space (Closet)??

I din know that there is any regulations for that.

I stand corrected, but in the future if for some reason you need to subscribe to two or more ISPs on fibre (e.g, SingTel & StarHub to deliver different services to different rooms), this might pose a problem unless you have two or more Cat 6 cables running from your utility room to the place you put your router. But I guess this is unlikely for the majority of users.

Hee.. Dun think will subscribe 2 ISP for my home but thanks anyway.