Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

nice to drop by someone's reno who has NAS and Switch in his setup.

The NAS will be much later on, there are plenty of high priority items associated with a new home that we have to get first.

• Like 1

Welcome to Punggol Emerald Neighbor! Say hi sometime! =) And would love to view the house in person. Hah.

Sure, maybe in 3 to 4 weeks' time as we are still unpacking and finding the right storage for the items.

Yes, I will be using a 24-port patch panel so as to reduce the clutter and we are still exploring around on how best to house the patch panel and switch in the study. For the other rooms with just a couple of points, they will be terminated with faceplates. As for the TV console, I may be using a 6 or 8-port patch panel (if I can find one) instead of the faceplates and have it integrated into the console.

I am no networking guru by any standards but I am taking this as a learning opportunity to pick up a skill.

hello, mavicaste, your blog is inspiring...

how do you best integrate the 8-port patch panel at the TV console in the living room?

where would you intend to fix the faceplates in the room?

enjoy your blog......

hello, mavicaste, your blog is inspiring...

how do you best integrate the 8-port patch panel at the TV console in the living room?

where would you intend to fix the faceplates in the room?

enjoy your blog......

Hi gashapon05,

I am glad you found the information and details useful in your research planning.

The bedroom faceplates are just located in corners on the room as depicted in my network plan.

BedroomFaceplaceTermination.jpg

Here is the study shelf patch panel and switch, as of now I have completed the top 12-port patch panel termination.

StudyShelfPatchPanel03.jpg

First speedtest on wired connection with my notebook connected in this order.

Notebook > TV Console Patch Panel > Study Shelf Patch Panel > 24-port Switch > Router > ONT

All the physical aspects of the network, including my own fibre patch cord from TP to ONT, patch panels termination and patch cords crimping can be validated with this test.

Speedtest01.jpg

Not bad eh? :notti:

Edited by mavicaste

Hi gashapon05,

I am glad you found the information and details useful in your research planning.

The bedroom faceplates are just located in corners on the room as depicted in my network plan.

BedroomFaceplaceTermination.jpg

Here is the study shelf patch panel and switch, as of now I have completed the top 12-port patch panel termination.

StudyShelfPatchPanel03.jpg

hello, mavicaste,

your blog gets interesting by the day.

Do you buy the faceplates front/back covers yourself or being provided by the electrician? And you did the termination yourself in those rooms too?

Can i check your cat6 cables are all laid above the false ceilings? And are there drilling through the walls between false ceilings between the passageway & the rooms?

hello, mavicaste,

Do you buy the faceplates front/back covers yourself or being provided by the electrician? And you did the termination yourself in those rooms too?

Can i check your cat6 cables are all laid above the false ceilings? And are there drilling through the walls between false ceilings between the passageway & the rooms?

The faceplates and keystones were bought from Sim Lim Tower, I wanted to get the back covers as well but the electrician took the initiative to drill and install them for me. All terminations in face plates and patch panels were done by myself.

The cables were laid before the false ceiling and drilling is necessary to allow the cables to pass through the rooms. However, the drilling point has to be below the beams which means a short strip of the trunking will not be concealed by the false ceiling unless you prefer a low ceiling.

Edited by mavicaste

The faceplates and keystones were bought from Sim Lim Tower, I wanted to get the back covers as well but the electrician took the initiative to drill and install them for me. All terminations in face plates and patch panels were done by myself.

The cables were laid before the false ceiling and drilling is necessary to allow the cables to pass through the rooms. However, the drilling point has to be below the beams which means a short strip of the trunking will not be concealed by the false ceiling unless you prefer a low ceiling.

hello, mavicaste,

interested to replicate your network solution.

What's the height of your bedroom faceplates from the floor?

Do you mind sharing a picture of the short strip of the trunking not concealed by the false ceiling going from the passageway into the room?

hello, mavicaste,

interested to replicate your network solution.

What's the height of your bedroom faceplates from the floor?

Do you mind sharing a picture of the short strip of the trunking not concealed by the false ceiling going from the passageway into the room?

Hi gashapon05,

apologies for the late reply.

the height of the faceplates are aligned with the default built-in power and cable points.

Pictures to follow later tonight.

Went up to check on the progress and were surprised the doors and glass works were installed a day ahead of schedule.

Kitchen Door

KitchenGlassDoor01.jpg

Study Glass Panel

StudyGlassPanel01.jpg

StudyGlassPanel02.jpg

Main Bedroom and Bedroom 1 Veneer Door

VeneerDoor01.jpg

hi mavicaste,

about painting the door frame black, is there anything to take note of?

did you change the color of your existing room doors?

your reno blog is very informative!

hello, mavicaste,

Dear Mavicaste,

can I use the tele point to convert and add a switch for more output..It that the same and solve the problem.

hi mavicaste,

about painting the door frame black, is there anything to take note of?

did you change the color of your existing room doors?

your reno blog is very informative!

About the door frames, we chose matt black initially and the painter suggested that we use glossy black for easier maintenance so we just went with it.

Our unit did not come with any of the bedroom, bathroom doors and flooring as we opted out of the option.