Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi mavicaste,

I from topaz, right across the road, had just collected my BTO key. if you do not mind care to share your reno quote breakdown & your ID name & contact details, thanks.

that's the window to the aircon ledge right? does it feels like an eyesore?

Hi wirriam, yes that is the window to the air-con ledge. The dark frame fits into the theme and we are actually very glad it allows in just enough light at night so that the bedroom isn't pitch dark.

• Like 1

For those who have been following the blog, remember that I have a 8-port patch panel built into my TV console?

TVConsoleCableManagement04.jpg

An additional reason to utilize the LAN network has just arrived. The new Intel NUC's with Broadwell processors were launched in Q1 this year but Amazon only started carrying themselves in late March. As usual, the moment they reduced the price of the Core i3 model to USD269, which is about the same price as what the previous generation has been selling at the entire year, I placed the order for it.

More information to follow after the NUC is set up.

Intel%20NUC5I3RYK%2001.jpg

Amazon%20Intel%20NUC.jpg

Amazon%20Intel%20NUC%20Components.jpg

Thanks for the update, Mavicaste. I have signed up with AL and waiting for key collection in the coming weeks.

Hi roberttty,

I am sure you are in great hands, hope to see you blog about your reno journey.

Hi Mavicaste,

You have a nice reno, like your kitchen design very much! :)

Can i check with you how is your gas heater so far? I'm puzzling better storage heater and gas heater, many people told me gas heater need sometimes to heat up the water and the noise is quite loud, is that true? Thanks in advance :)

Hi Mavicaste,

Can i check with you how is your gas heater so far? I'm puzzling better storage heater and gas heater, many people told me gas heater need sometimes to heat up the water and the noise is quite loud, is that true? Thanks in advance :)

Hi joejoeteng,

It is true that gas heaters aren't able to heat up the water immediately but the time it takes to reach the desired temperature will obviously depend how hot you like your shower. On my usage experience, it takes no more than 10 seconds for the water to heat up during the cooler months and lately, just a couple of seconds. If you are concerned with the heating time, you can always set the thermostat of the heater higher and use your mixer to control the temperature and this should reduce the heating time.

As for the noise, I use the common bathroom daily while my wife uses the other one. The gas heater is mounted right below the common bathroom window and I can hear the sound of the flame when the heater is operational but it doesn't bother me. The louder sound would be the one "popping" sound when the flame is turned on or off.

All in all, I will recommend the gas heater over electrical heaters due to the cost savings from reduced electricity use.

• Like 1

Hi Mavicaste,

Just to add, time used to heat up is not long, as mentioned, no more than 10 seconds.

Sound produce is pretty much like using the gas stove. A low pop is audible when starting and shutting.

Gas heaters main advantage is the long term savings over electric heater.

Anything that is use to produce heat electrically, are consuming a lot of electricity.

Hi Maviscaste,

sorry to bother you regarding the home network. Is my plan below feasible?

ps: I am converting all my telephone pts into data pts and add a patch panel in the distribution box (DB)

TP @ DB -> ONT @ DB -> Modem @ DB (4 ports)

Modem @ DB (1st port) -> Data Pt @ DB -> Data Pt @ Living Rm -> SingTel TV STB

Modem @ DB (2nd port) -> Data Pt @ DB -> Data Pt @ Bedroom 2 -> Router (Bridge Mode to act as central point to provide wireless network)

Modem @ DB (3rd port) -> Data Pt @ DB -> Data Pt @ Masterbed Rm -> Laptop

Modem @ DB (4th port) -> standby

Modem @ DB (Tel port) -> DECT cordless phone

Edited by roberttty

Hi Maviscaste,

sorry to bother you regarding the home network. Is my plan below feasible?

ps: I am converting all my telephone pts into data pts and add a patch panel in the distribution box (DB)

TP @ DB -> ONT @ DB -> Modem @ DB (4 ports)

Modem @ DB (1st port) -> Data Pt @ DB -> Data Pt @ Living Rm -> SingTel TV STB

Modem @ DB (2nd port) -> Data Pt @ DB -> Data Pt @ Bedroom 2 -> Router (Bridge Mode to act as central point to provide wireless network)

Modem @ DB (3rd port) -> Data Pt @ DB -> Data Pt @ Masterbed Rm -> Laptop

Modem @ DB (4th port) -> standby

Modem @ DB (Tel port) -> DECT cordless phone

Hi roberttty,

Yes, in fact this is pretty much the standard configuration for most of the homes who converted the voice points to data points.

This photo is courtesy of my neighbour.

Telephone%20Points%20Converted%20to%20Da

Just a minor correction, your connection should be TP -> ONT(Modem) -> Router -> Data Points in Rooms.

After 2 weekends of football streams on the Intel NUC, I have say that only Gigabit Ethernet interfaces are able to really make full use of your high speed fibre broadband if you are viewing HD content.

Intel%20NUC%20Streaming%2001.jpg

Intel%20NUC%20Streaming%2002.jpg

Guest Sarah Tan

Hi, do you mind pm-ing me the contractor contacts please, thanks! :)