Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lukel

Reno In The East

Hi, I have started my reno on 9th Oct 2013;

Have been trying to post the progress here; but could not find the time and have problem with uploading pics earlier.

Anyway, here is my floor plan layout:-

KM Layout

It is already 4.5 weeks of reno; but my ID is very slow and have quite a few problems himself;

Too many excuses; too little or no results.

What have been done so far:

Hacking

Elec work (done by my friend's workers)

Hence, I am giving him one last chance to do the reno properly.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

After much cursing and headaches; I asked for the schedule for the 29 days left to handover;

Below is what I got:-

RenoSchedule

Still crossing my fingers.....

Wah, 4.5 weeks and just did hacking and electrical work? 29 days is less than another 4.5 weeks to go. Must be extremely stressful for you. Hope everything turns out well!

My advice to you:

1. Pay according to progress: after hacking, after cement screeding, after carpentry etc. If you pay up almost all upfront, you are stuck and cannot go to point 2.

2. Have an exit plan. This guy may never deliver. Maybe you may have to cut him out and get someone else to finish the job.

Thanks MsJ9; very stressful for me; already told my ID off a couple of times ...

Elec work is done by my friend's workers; so have been going well.

Hi Kstoh,

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah; your points 1 and 2 are both in my mind already since last week.

Note that I have paid almost 50% of the total reno cost.

20% on signing the quotation and about 30% when workers started hacking.

Now, I was asked to pay the next 15%; which of course; I cannot pay; since the work has been so slow and I do not see workers for almost 2 weeks plus.

Anyway, the ID admitted his problem bla...bla. ....

and will start to do the reno properly from now;

Well, this are all verbal; I will wait for 2 more weeks to see the result; as you know my situation here.

and how can I do the next payment when things are so scary for me looking at my reno progress.

One friend already intro another ID and a lawyer; just in case ...

Another friend asked me to check with CASE.

I am still crossing my fingers for this week and next week work ....

These 2 weeks supposed to be plastering and tiling; and carpentry works off site.

Some of the hacking works done ...

After hack1

After hack 2

After hack 3

Edited by lukel

Improvement in the schedule sent to me last week.

New Schedule

Hand over is 20th Dec;

Moving in is 21st Dec.

Crossing my toes now .....

Edited by lukel

By the way, can we, customer, pay only after the work is done?

Progressive payment base on work done?

How come I see all quotation is to pay in advance progressively?

Haha. The improvement is in the use of a PC, excel and colour printout.

Payment terms to be negotiated between you and ID / contractor. Sometimes ID / contractor needs to pay sub-contractor first to order material etc. Ideally, pay only after work completed. But if amount is not too big, and you see progress, can pay just before each stage.

I think you need to supervise daily.

I hate to say it, but really sounds like this co is having cash flow problems.

Cannot follow the typical payment schedule as there is a high risk that the company will not be able to deliver - worse still if close shop and file bankruptcy.

CASE will be of no use, and legal fees to recover cost will be too high on your end. I have yet to read a positive outcome in this scenario.

I agree with kstoh's approach. Only pay before each stage. You must make the effort to meet each sub-con. Determine how much is needed to start work at your place and pay accordingly. No more no less. Then less cost to you if you need to change ID.

From the excel - quite a bit of masonry to go. Particularly tiles there is an upfront cost to the contractor. It might be worth just buying them yourselves and pay the tile company, rather than paying the contractor/ID to buy for you.

Similar for carpentry. These two have high upfront cost to them because have to order material.

Particularly if the contractor/ID keep on asking for payment for these stages - means they hardly have NO credit with these material suppliers. Again highlighting their poor credit because of cash flow issues.

Agree with greglhc.

ID asking for third payment again;

I just told him about my insecurity and why I cannot pay him at this moment;

As I have yet to see real result from the 50% I have paid.

What do you guys think?

I should pay the third payment of 15%?

Now seems to tell me that if I do not pay; carpentry will not start.

I find it unusual that other works like tiling or erecting new wall haven't started, given that hacking is mostly done already.. and now asking for payment for carpentry?

Are you able to remove certain scope of work from your ID without any penalty? Maybe get him to continue more progress regarding the masonry first? Work on masonry front shouldn't be stopped for carpentry payment.

I am at loss on how to continue with this ID.

He seems to be threatening me; to stop work.

He even asked me to go to CASE.

He said the carpenters are waiting; continue or stop....

wth ......

Latest updates;

ID told me he would go to HBay first thing in the morning as third party to resolve this case.

As usual; I cannot trust him;

So, this morning; I wrote to HBay myself after I found out that this organization is to upheld the interior design industry.

Latest reply from ID is he just woke up; he would go to HBay after lunch; capentry work is on hold;

the reno is continuing as I have insisted on that.

Wah....your situation sounds stressful. Your ID is like someone out to "con" people's money. Please reveal his name or ID co. name so that members here will be aware.

And how much have you spent so far.....so little is done!

Good to hear that a third party is involved. Especially one which involves his peers and other professionals in his industry.

Maybe have the meeting with HBay and your ID in your place? Get HBay to review the works that have been completed to date and compare with quotation/scope of works/timelines. See if HBay thinks it's reasonable and within industry expectation 1. the amount of works done over this period of time 2. to ask for additional payment at this stage?

And also privately ask HBay to speak to your ID to find out what is the underlying issue - and get HBay to tell you so you can make a better decision.

Good luck!!

Latest updates;

ID told me he would go to HBay first thing in the morning as third party to resolve this case.

As usual; I cannot trust him;

So, this morning; I wrote to HBay myself after I found out that this organization is to upheld the interior design industry.

Latest reply from ID is he just woke up; he would go to HBay after lunch; capentry work is on hold;

the reno is continuing as I have insisted on that.