Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
catherineteo

I Need To Buy Aircon. How Do I Decide?

I have HDB 4 room house. 110 SQ Meter. We bought about 12 years back. My house is windy so I decided no need Aircon and installed ceiling fan in all room.

Now I felt I will install Aircon because march april it is getting hot.

We have 3 Bed room. My Unit is North facing so it is not warm. Myself and my hubby sleeps in Master bed room and my teenage kid sleeps and studies in second bed room. The third bed room we just use it for keeping computer. If my mom comes she uses the Computer bed room. she seldom comes and stays at my place(may be once in 3 months).

For the Main Hall we do not require Air-Con. My confusion is should I buy Aircon for 2 bed rooms or 3 bedrooms.

1) Should I buy SYS2 or SYS3?

2) Is there any significantly difference in power consumption if I buy SYS3 and use only 2 Units and seldom turn on the 3rd bed room?

3) Any recommended brand?

4)How do I decide the Capacity (BTU)?

5) I saw courts offering 5 year warranty? Any hidden small font terms I should pay attention?

6) Any recommended place to buy?

7) Any specific information or specification or terms I should look into it.?

Appreciate

Thank you

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have HDB 4 room house. 110 SQ Meter. We bought about 12 years back. My house is windy so I decided no need Aircon and installed ceiling fan in all room.

Now I felt I will install Aircon because march april it is getting hot.

We have 3 Bed room. My Unit is North facing so it is not warm. Myself and my hubby sleeps in Master bed room and my teenage kid sleeps and studies in second bed room. The third bed room we just use it for keeping computer. If my mom comes she uses the Computer bed room. she seldom comes and stays at my place(may be once in 3 months).

For the Main Hall we do not require Air-Con. My confusion is should I buy Aircon for 2 bed rooms or 3 bedrooms.

1) Should I buy SYS2 or SYS3?

Personal opinion i would suggest you to go for a system 3. It is always better to get all the room air-conditioner instead of 2 room as you won't know when will you need to use it.

And if you go for a system 2, you may facing some problem in the future when you decide to install 1 more in your third room. Mostly is due to the wardrobe or the hassle of removing bulky furniture for the piping installation.

And not forgetting that for those old flat that using stainless steel bracket, only 1 compressor is allowed to install on HDB flat.

Additional compressor need to get approval from HDB.

2) Is there any significantly difference in power consumption if I buy SYS3 and use only 2 Units and seldom turn on the 3rd bed room?

Yes. There is a difference when you turn on 2 unit and 3 unit. (Full load & partial load)

3) Any recommended brand?

It's all depend on the price that you're comfortable with. If you have kids at home, you may want to consider to install Sharp Inverter System 3 which has the Plasmacluster technology. It can purifies the air more effectively and they have the lab test result to support this statement. But this just my personal opinion.

4)How do I decide the Capacity (BTU)?

For a standard HDB room, it is advisable to install all 9000 BTU in each room. You may consider to upgrade to 12000 BTU for your master room as usually master room size will be slightly bigger when compare to common room.

5) I saw courts offering 5 year warranty? Any hidden small font terms I should pay attention?

Usually the 5 years warranty that you saw from courts is not FREE. It is already factor into the price and they sell it as a package.

For air-conditioner, you may want to consider to purchase it direct from air-con dealer as you will get more clearer picture on what will you get and who to look for when there's any problem arise.

6) Any recommended place to buy?

You may want to consider our offer. Will send a quotation to you afterward.

7) Any specific information or specification or terms I should look into it.?

Usually there is only 2 major problem that arise from air-con.

1. Not cold

2. Leaking water

So understand what is the material the air-con dealer provide and is there any warranty on the workmanship given is very important.

And not forgetting that usually the total length of piping given is 15 meter per indoor unit. So if you have a system 3,

15 meter x 3 = 45 meter, you will have a total of 45 meter for the installation of the piping. If it exceed the 45 meter given, each 1 meter is chargeable. Usually this is where the dispute come from during the air-con installation.

Appreciate

Thank you

Hi Summerforce, you reply is very useful for me too, especially this - "Typical HDB bedroom - 9000 BTU, masterbedroom 12,000 BTU, 15m piping per indoor unit."

Have been trying to make sense of the quotations I got for putting air-con into a new landed property - still under construction - so no need to hack holes etc.

I got one quote - 4 x 9000BTU, 1 x 12000 BTU, 3 x 18000 BTU with 2 x 38,000 BTU outdoor units (all using Mitsubishi Starmex Invertor) - cost quoted was S$13.5k.

Then another quote - 4 x 2.5kW, 3 x 5kW and 3 x 8kw Outdoor units - also Mitsubishi - total S$12k.

Way above the typical prices I see on newspaper for HDB/Condo.

My bedrooms are not much bigger than the older HDB 5-rooms.

Not sure if they priced based on where you live.

Also not sure why quote 1 use 2 x outdoor unit, while quote 3 requires 3 x outdoor unit - how do you determine this?